MATCHWATCH : Eastleigh (a)

442 posts
Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Eastleigh (a)

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Dec 2023 20:23

NathStPaul
Gunny Fishcake Is anybody actually surprised ? Our club is is on it's knees, in intensive care, there's no point battering the players or manager, they are trying their best in the most impossibly hard circumstances, but sadly the best is woefully short, we just need to hang on in there till we get a new owner.

I'm surprised we didn't beat Eastleigh, yes. It was an ideal opportunity to keep our "decent" run of results going. I also thought that despite the managers shortcomings the personal pride of the players would see us through.

The club is rotten to the core.

I'm surprised you had any expectations

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Dec 2023 20:31

Elm Park Kid You have to start by giving Eastleigh credit. They're a well organised team with a decent striker - we can't complain about the result.

It's another embarrassment that will worsen our confidence and the mood in the dressing room. I assume that Selles is a dead man walking now and it's just a case of waiting for the takeover to go through.

The only bright spot was the protest. From what I hear, Dai is not exactly busting a gut to get it done, so the more pressure we can create the better.

Really? yes they have a good striker but the referee played a big part in that match. How much did they timewaste? how many wrong offsides did we have? what about the penalty shouts? Well organised team but we shouldn't have lost to them.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Dec 2023 20:34

karbota Ah, a bit unlucky Reading, only one goal in it. Meanwhile, Wrexham have done it again with a 3-0 win over Yeovil, if Parky jumps ship that Jimmy Mullin and Oille Palmer could do a job for us.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Dec 2023 20:37

Good to see Tom Holmes be a big part in another goal conceded despite 3 months out of the side.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Dec 2023 20:37

Royal_jimmy
Elm Park Kid You have to start by giving Eastleigh credit. They're a well organised team with a decent striker - we can't complain about the result.

It's another embarrassment that will worsen our confidence and the mood in the dressing room. I assume that Selles is a dead man walking now and it's just a case of waiting for the takeover to go through.

The only bright spot was the protest. From what I hear, Dai is not exactly busting a gut to get it done, so the more pressure we can create the better.

Really? yes they have a good striker but the referee played a big part in that match. How much did they timewaste? how many wrong offsides did we have? what about the penalty shouts? Well organised team but we shouldn't have lost to them.

They did what they needed to

The linesman was one of the players dads Sunday league style though

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 04 Dec 2023 08:40

Thoughts over three points

*while the protest is much needed and, as far as I can see, widely supported on and off the pitch, we've had three tennis ball protests and as far as I can tell, conceded within minutes of each one. The first goal, when it came, was so simple. Couple of passes around the back, down the channel and over for a relatively easy tap in. You could see it coming from the moment the ball went out wide, our defenders never seemed to clock just where McCallum was.

*we're completely incapable of going toe to toe with a team. While I think two of the three-ish penalty shouts (Wing on the rebound, Holmes mugged at a corner) should have probably gone in our favour, standing around whinging isn't going to help. Quigley probably should have been booked for a series of 'afters', barging into players just after the ball had gone, but equally he's been doing that his entire life. Same with the constant shirt pulling. Dean was the only player to give anything back. Once the game got going properly (it was like a friendly for 16 minutes), we barely gave them much to think about. A brief spell where Dann brought the ball forwards, Wing sat between midfield and attack, and Smith and Azeez linked quite well lead to the equalizer.

*I had no faith we would defend that corner successfully. It was a needless corner anyway, with Craig the only player back - watch the highlights again, he knows it. Only player in that box who knew what he was going to do? McCallum.

Pre-game - actually stayed in Southampton the night before. Not sure of the vibe, there's a relatively nice old town on the way to the sea, with four pubs. Except one has recently shut down. This means all four, I mean, three pubs, while all nice and all doing nice beers and all having nice old buildings were fucking rammed. I went to the Grapes to watch the United game and then found Sauce, which combined kebabs, polish food and beer to my content. The other highlight was the Solent Sky museum. Supermarine S6! Flying boats! etc. etc.

Post-game - lol. Walked back to Eastleigh. Told to go back to Southampton as no trains to Waterloo from Winchester (?!). Slow-ish train via Havant to London. Already knew no/little movement north from London so went to Victoria coach station. Home for 23:30.

Lincoln next!

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Dec 2023 08:43

What's sad is that losing to a non-league team should be one of the worst days imaginable, but I'm not even sure it makes the top 10 under Dai.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 04 Dec 2023 08:46

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 04 Dec 2023 09:06

First full game i've seen for a while. Few observations.

That result was predictable given the slightly experimental nature of our team and the fact that Eastleigh were more experienced and battle hardened.

Of the players, like Azeez. I know he has had lots of criticism early in the season but he put me in mind of someone like Antonio who was very similar to Azeez with his end product initially lacking, which is why we got rid when we did, wrongly as it turned out.

For that reason alone Azeez should be persisted with. I think there is a player there who will prove valuable going forward.

Holmes looked rusty but I think he will be important for us. He should come back into the team, be given the captaincy permanently and be told to kick some ass. He's got enough experience now to take control and should do.

Craig looked tidy but the manager must decide where he wants to play him. A straightforward defensive midfielder or higher up. Either way he must in time look to take more risks with the passing. It would help if he had more to aim at of course.

Mbengue. He was at fault for the first goal and unlikely that right back is his position. Pretty sure there's a player in there, centre half maybe or defensive midfielder in front of the back four?

Elliott needs to beef up and go hell for leather.

Savage, can't make my mind up.

Carson shouldn't really be playing, needs a loan out somewhere, maybe national league or Div Two. Lacked any sort of composure really.

Ehib i liked earlier in the season but seems to have lost his way a bit. In normal times a loan out.

Mola, well, difficult to make a decision on what I've seen but not great.

The keeper made a few good saves and looks a capable deputy.

Lastly, seen a lot of people saying we were better when Wing and Smith came on, true. Wing has the composure lacking in the youngster and Smith obvs knows where the goal is. But beyond that i'm not sure who else would have made much of a difference from the bench.
Last edited by Norfolk Royal on 04 Dec 2023 09:11, edited 1 time in total.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Dec 2023 09:09

Royal_jimmy

Holmes one for sure, but not seeing many occasions referee cost us that match, not aware that many offside calls changed the game or were wrong, and as for time wasting, nothing of real note. Referee was not the reason why we lost that match. Apart from all that you have nailed your post.

Ten Bobsworth

by Ten Bobsworth » 04 Dec 2023 09:13

Bolton played Eastleigh in the FA Cup in 2016. We were bottom of the Championship at the time, skint and unable to pay the players or HMRC and headed for administration.

Then along comes Ken Anderson with 'erm, Dean Holdsworth. Relegation couldn't be avoided but admin was.

Anderson ditched the useless Holdsworth ( he had no choice really) brought in a competent CEO and appointed Phil Parkinson as team manager. Hey presto, immediate promotion back to the Championship staying there for the next two seasons whilst running on fumes.

Bolton lost a total of £5m in those two seasons under Anderson, probably the lowest of any club in the Championship. How much did Reading lose in the same period? Try ten times that for size.

How did we get on against mighty Eastleigh? Scraped a draw at their place and scraped through at ours.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2023 09:37

paultheroyal
Royal_jimmy

Holmes one for sure, but not seeing many occasions referee cost us that match, not aware that many offside calls changed the game or were wrong, and as for time wasting, nothing of real note. Referee was not the reason why we lost that match. Apart from all that you have nailed your post.

On the penalty shouts I think unfortunately we marked our card with the ref early on with some fairly pathetic diving.

And anyone who has done any homework on Holmes knows he's incredibly handsy in the box.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Dec 2023 09:40

Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal
Royal_jimmy

On the penalty shouts I think unfortunately we marked our card with the ref early on with some fairly pathetic diving.

And anyone who has done any homework on Holmes knows he's incredibly handsy in the box.

To be fair, looking at that incident alone, I think they were lucky to get away with it. The one argument you could say it was six of one half a dozen of another as they both had hands on each other, although Quigley (I think it was) does drag him down.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 04 Dec 2023 09:41

I think the players forgot how large the gulf in ability there was between the sides. We spent far too much time playing at the back waiting for gaps to emerge. This makes sense against a team in the same division, but Eastleigh are two divisions below for a reason.

Every time a centre back travelled with the ball forwards, they very quickly found themselves inside the Eastleigh's half with still very little pressure on the ball. It was noticeable that Dean did this more than who he replaced.

Felt like the match had 3 acts in terms of our attacking approach. In the first half we did actually get goal side of the defence 3/4 times with balls over the top, each time being fouled. Got 1 yellow i think. We seemed to stop taking that approach for the next 3rd of the match, with almost no attacking outcomes to show for it.

And in the final 3rd of the match we carried the ball a lot more and actually had sustained pressure.

I'd put that down as a team low on confidence not asserting themselves sufficiently early on.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2023 09:43

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal

To be fair, looking at that incident alone, I think they were lucky to get away with it. The one argument you could say it was six of one half a dozen of another as they both had hands on each other, although Quigley (I think it was) does drag him down.
It's an absolutely certain penalty. But perception plays a big part.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 04 Dec 2023 10:14

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal On the penalty shouts I think unfortunately we marked our card with the ref early on with some fairly pathetic diving.

It's an absolutely certain penalty. But perception plays a big part.

The absolutely appalling standard of refereeing in this country plays a bigger part imo.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Dec 2023 10:23

2 big calls went against us late on, with the ball bouncing off an arm in the melee for the winner. But we were poor and didn't show enough intent against a team 2 divisions below us. For the winner, your CB needs to deal with the corner and ensure no melee ensues. You make your own luck, so they say.

If you're going to bemoan bad luck, bemoan that we got sold to this godawful owner in 2017.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Dec 2023 10:52

Holmes seemed far more determined to get his head on the ball when he was being headlocked and dragged to the ground in the opposition box than he did on a basic corner routine in our own box in the 94th min.

Guess always been my frustration with him that he seems to get beaten like that too often for a big lad

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Dec 2023 10:55

Hound
No real need to play a load of kids if we didn’t want to and no surprise they got bullied by an organised bunch of aggressive tough hard working non league players

Professionals not amateurs though. Days are gone of players having other jobs.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Dec 2023 11:00

Hound Holmes seemed far more determined to get his head on the ball when he was being headlocked and dragged to the ground in the opposition box than he did on a basic corner routine in our own box in the 94th min.

Guess always been my frustration with him that he seems to get beaten like that too often for a big lad

Mentioned almost two years ago now - just after we’d drawn with Derby and he was bullied for their 90th minute equaliser that he just wasn’t commanding enough and the fact it’s still happening now just isn’t good enough

It’s a shame because there’s a decent defender in there but the harsh reality (along with McIntyre) is that they’re too easy to bully. Opposition strikers will enjoy playing us and that reflects on how rarely we manage to keep a clean sheet

442 posts