442 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Eastleigh (a)

by Sutekh » 29 Nov 2023 10:55

When : Sunday December 3, 1.30pm
Where : Silverlake Stadium, Stoneham Road, Chilworth, SO50 9NW
Capacity : 5,192

Cup time again and Reading take their mini revival down the road towards Southampton for one of those awkward games against non league opposition. This time the non league opposition comes in the form of Eastleigh from tier 5 rather than Kidderminster from tier 6 so the quality of the opposition should be rather better than Reading's last foray into the world of competitive games away against non league teams.

Eastleigh were formed in 1946 and were members of the Hampshire and Wessex leagues until around 20 years ago when they climbed into the top two non-league divisions via the southern and isthmian leagues. They've been pretty much ever present at tier 5 since around 2014-15 and more recently have been one of the more consistent better sides in the division. They also are one of those sides that have never suffered a relegation season.

The Spitfires (the nickname was adopted in only 2005 as the Spitfire was first flown from nearby Eastleigh aerodrome (now Southampton airport)) are currently 11th in the National League with 30 points from 22 games. Form is good with Eastleigh having won 3 and drawn 1 of their last 5 games although losing narrowly last time out away at leaders Chesterfield. The best known player to Reading fans will be former youth team prospect Jake Taylor (now 31) who left the Royals for Exeter back in 2016 and has since clocked up well over 250 league appearances for them and then Stevenage before jointing Eastleigh in July this year. The real dangerman to watch closely though is striker Paul McCallum who has hit 16 goals in 17 league appearances so far this season.

Eastleigh beat Borehamwood 5-1 in the first round and are looking to reach the third round for only the second time in their history (their previous best was losing at Bolton in a 3rd round replay back in 2016 though the first game against Bolton did give the club a 1-1 draw and it's best ever attendance of 5,025).

Ideally I wouldn't change anything from the Reading side that played v Carlisle as breeding more understanding amongst the team can only help the league form, however we can be fairly sure that Selles will change things with Pereira (or CBC) getting a start and hopefully Vickers being found again in time for the ITV cameras to convince Arsenal to fork out £100m for him (and Bindon) in January. For the record the team selection for the first round game against the Franchise was...

Pereira, Elliott, Mukairu, WiFi, Hutch, Carson, Bindon, Wing, Rushesha, Abbey and Vickers
Subs: Collins, Holmes, Knibbs, Savage, Ballard, NGW, Dorsett, Craig and Azeez

A downer on this one is the presence of TV cameras, believe Reading have a fairly miserable record when on ITV (even worse than with Sky).

Referee

Lewis Smith

Previously

Nothing

Historically

No previous competitive games between the two sides but there was a preseason defeat at Eastleigh for Reading back in June 2018 (Leandro Bacuna scoring in a 2-1 loss) so there is a little bit of righting to be done (and even more so when you consider the embarrassing cr@p served up at Kidderminster a couple of years ago).

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Ring/text a mate for updates
  3. Live on ITV
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Eastleigh (a)

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Nov 2023 11:11

Structure of the team unchanged, but I would make changes. Smith and Wing should not start; they are critical and we need to manage their workload. Give Dorsett a rest as he gets to terms with regular senior football. Give Mbengue, Holmes, Vickers, Elliott and Savage some minutes. Suddenly you're looking at a lot of rotation. And that's a good thing; we have plenty of players who deserve game time and a chance to stake their claim.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 29 Nov 2023 11:44

WestYorksRoyal Structure of the team unchanged, but I would make changes. Smith and Wing should not start; they are critical and we need to manage their workload. Give Dorsett a rest as he gets to terms with regular senior football. Give Mbengue, Holmes, Vickers, Elliott and Savage some minutes. Suddenly you're looking at a lot of rotation. And that's a good thing; we have plenty of players who deserve game time and a chance to stake their claim.

Agree with this. Those lot coming in is still a strong first team that is respecting the risk that Eastleigh can pose but needed rotation. Savage should have a field day against them with his quality on the ball.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Nov 2023 11:50

Savage definitely needs a chance. I think our midfield is now well balanced with a 6, 8 and a 10. Savage and Wing are the contenders for the no. 8 role, and there Wing is clearly 1st pick. I'd like to see what Savage can do with Hutchinson/Craig behind and Knibbs/Elliott/Vickers ahead. It should suit him.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Nov 2023 12:04

Cup form has been great whilst league form has stuggled - 2 back to back league wins, means a draw at best on Sunday.

Fezza

by Fezza » 29 Nov 2023 12:07

Has Hutch been picked since his comments on 13th Nov? Has he been punished for speaking out?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Nov 2023 12:09

Fezza Has Hutch been picked since his comments on 13th Nov? Has he been punished for speaking out?

Suspended Saturday, left out yesterday. I wonder if making him a cup player for the next 2 games sends a message that he needs to earn the shirt back.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 29 Nov 2023 12:21

Not going to this one so I’ll be watching on TV. Agree with the above that Wing and Smith should not be started.

I am not sure what to expect tbh. I am hoping for a comfortable away win and then a home tie against Everton in the third round for a points deduction derby.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2023 13:27

................CBC/Pereira
Abrefa, Holmes, Mbengue, NGW
............Rushesha, Savage
...Vickers.......Elliott....Camara
...............Ehibhatiomhan

Subs: Pereira/Collins, Carson, Dean, Hutchinson, Wing, Wareham, Mukairu

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 29 Nov 2023 13:35

Snowflake Royal ................CBC/Pereira

Yeah this.

I know we’re second bottom in League One, but when I see the teams we can field it’s the most optimistic I have felt about our squad for years.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Nov 2023 17:34

blythspartan Not going to this one so I’ll be watching on TV. Agree with the above that Wing and Smith should not be started.

I am not sure what to expect tbh. I am hoping for a comfortable away win and then a home tie against Everton in the third round for a points deduction derby.

Now you know it'll be ManU again.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2023 18:04

Where is Abrefa? I’m assuming injured

But basically that side. I’d be tempted to play Dorsett again though. Or Carson.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Nov 2023 19:23

I'd go Carson over NGW to build his experience.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 29 Nov 2023 19:29

I imagine it will be a similar strength side as the one that beat Milton Keynes in the last round.

Pereira
Rushesha/Holmes - Bindon - Abbey - Mbengue/Carson
Wing - Savage
Elliott - Vickers - Mukairu
Ehib

We've also got the Charlton game on the Wednesday, so some players may be used in that one instead of this - thinking Carson, Rushesha, etc.

I would prefer if we played as strong an XI as possible and take players off if we're comfortably ahead, however.

Mr Sitter

by Mr Sitter » 30 Nov 2023 00:16

Lewis Smith was also the referee against Ipswich in the EFL Cup so could oversee us getting knocked out of two cup competitions in the same season.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Nov 2023 17:48

Eastleigh are capable of defeating us, we need a composed and professional performance. Wouldn't be upset with a replay

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Nov 2023 17:54

Royal_jimmy Eastleigh are capable of defeating us, we need a composed and professional performance. Wouldn't be upset with a replay

Replay is probably best all round. Maximise income for both clubs. Probably also televised and a bigger attendance.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 30 Nov 2023 17:58

Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy Eastleigh are capable of defeating us, we need a composed and professional performance. Wouldn't be upset with a replay

Replay is probably best all round. Maximise income for both clubs. Probably also televised and a bigger attendance.

Worth noting that a replay means the Oxford game would be pushed back a week

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 01 Dec 2023 08:51

If twitter is anything to go by I can see this game getting abandoned. I can see why fans are outraged by recent events, but sadly the club probably needs all the extra money it can get.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Dec 2023 09:02

blythspartan If twitter is anything to go by I can see this game getting abandoned. I can see why fans are outraged by recent events, but sadly the club probably needs all the extra money it can get.

It won't be. Imagine most of the idiots calling for it to be abandoned probably don't even have tickets. There should absolutely be a re-start of demos but it should not impact the game taking place/finishing.

442 posts