by windermereROYAL » 07 Dec 2023 10:06

Stranded
windermereROYAL
Royal_jimmy

The semi-finals are 2 legs so surely 4. last 16-8-4

No they aren't.

From the EFL Trophy regulations

Semi Finals.

The four winners from the quarter-finals will contest the semi-finals.

Semi-final pairings are determined by means of an unseeded draw with no regionalisation. .

The Club drawn first is the Home Club.

Matches will be played by way of only one leg and be of ninety minutes duration with no extra time. If the scores are level at the end of the Match then the winners shall be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with procedures as approved by IFAB.

I`m certain it`s been over 2 legs in the past, they must have changed it.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Charlton Athletic (h)

by NathStPaul » 07 Dec 2023 10:08

windermereROYAL
Stranded
windermereROYAL
The semi-finals are 2 legs so surely 4. last 16-8-4

No they aren't.

From the EFL Trophy regulations

Semi Finals.

The four winners from the quarter-finals will contest the semi-finals.

Semi-final pairings are determined by means of an unseeded draw with no regionalisation. .

The Club drawn first is the Home Club.

Matches will be played by way of only one leg and be of ninety minutes duration with no extra time. If the scores are level at the end of the Match then the winners shall be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with procedures as approved by IFAB.

I`m certain it`s been over 2 legs in the past, they must have changed it.

Wrong again Windermere?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 07 Dec 2023 10:23

windermereROYAL I`m certain it`s been over 2 legs in the past, they must have changed it.

It's been a single-leg semi since the introduction of academy sides. Always seemed odd to have two-legs simply for the semis (though the EFL have maintained it for the League Cup).

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 07 Dec 2023 11:04

We watched last night's game on Royals TV and it is the first time for ages that I've been stood up for the final 10 minutes of a Reading game as recently I've simply expected us to lose but last night was genuinely exciting! The penalties (and goalkeeping) just upped the emotions to another level

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Dec 2023 11:14

Last 20 esp were very good

Back to missing a million chances again the only downside

Azeez really kickstarted us. I think he’s probably our best player

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 07 Dec 2023 12:16

If Azeez has found his scoring boots and having a positive impact, that has to be good for us, as he seems to get into a lot of good positions through intelligent movement.

Only saw the highlights obvs, but Vickers looks like a real player.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Dec 2023 12:44

I don't think it'll happen, but based upon his performances this week I'd happily see Pereira start on Saturday. I'm not convinced by Button; too many 6 yard tap ins because he remains rooted to his line instead of claiming the cross.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Dec 2023 13:21

Mr Angry If Azeez has found his scoring boots and having a positive impact, that has to be good for us, as he seems to get into a lot of good positions through intelligent movement.

Azeez has certainly found his form since scoring v Carlisle. He played well again yesterday and looked more confident and composed

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 Dec 2023 13:33

WestYorksRoyal I don't think it'll happen, but based upon his performances this week I'd happily see Pereira start on Saturday. I'm not convinced by Button; too many 6 yard tap ins because he remains rooted to his line instead of claiming the cross.

You've missed some of the shockers he's conceded in the previous rounds then obviously - I think Button has been solid for us this season and head and shoulders above many of the other keepers in this league.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 Dec 2023 13:34

Royal_jimmy
Mr Angry If Azeez has found his scoring boots and having a positive impact, that has to be good for us, as he seems to get into a lot of good positions through intelligent movement.

Azeez has certainly found his form since scoring v Carlisle. He played well again yesterday and looked more confident and composed

Fantastic penalty kick as well - rifled it into the top corner ... a few weeks ago he'd have feebly scuffed it wide.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 07 Dec 2023 22:46

Attendance 1809

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Dec 2023 22:53

Royals and Racers Attendance 1809

Is that the lowest ever at the Madejski?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 07 Dec 2023 23:02

Royal_jimmy
Royals and Racers Attendance 1809

Is that the lowest ever at the Madejski?

Not quite, we had 1,561 against Leyton Orient in this competition in 1999. It's the second lowest however.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 08 Dec 2023 03:25

The obvious comparison to the Simod cup was we won and were relegated and the owner Roger Smee took money out the club to fund his own business. And two years later we were close to administration. And SJM saved the day.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Dec 2023 08:07

Hound Last 20 esp were very good

Agreed that the last 20 shows what is actually possible for this team and indeed Selles - it was very good football and it was clear that the players knew exactly what was required of them and executed, created a number of chances (and half chances) which with a bit more luck and/or composure would have seen us win without the need for pens.

If the team can expand that 20 mins to even a full half, they will win a lot more than they lose between now and May. It's a bif if though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2023 08:30

Stranded

Agreed that the last 20 shows what is actually possible for this team and indeed Selles - it was very good football and it was clear that the players knew exactly what was required of them and executed, created a number of chances (and half chances) which with a bit more luck and/or composure would have seen us win without the need for pens.

If the team can expand that 20 mins to even a full half, they will win a lot more than they lose between now and May. It's a bif if though.

It's just same as it ever was though isn’t it? Charlton brought on 4 youngsters and suddenly we had more experience in competitive senior games and turned the screw.

Same as with Exeter youth, Swindon youth, Arsenal youth etc.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Dec 2023 08:41

Snowflake Royal
Stranded

It's just same as it ever was though isn’t it? Charlton brought on 4 youngsters and suddenly we had more experience in competitive senior games and turned the screw.

Same as with Exeter youth, Swindon youth, Arsenal youth etc.

Possibly to an extent, don’t think that’s the full story though. Didn’t take much notice of who they had but saw Hector stayed on, and that May chap up front

I think it goes a bit deeper into there are some players who fit the Selles system quite well - Knibbs, Azeez and Smith. They are buzz about and seem to win plenty of possession high/force mistakes

No one else is much good at it, though Kelv did a bit better and set up the goal doing just that

There have been plenty of games this year when we’ve created good chances and not converted, but the confidence has eroded with each defeat and you can see in the play. I think we’re somewhere near back on that front to early season

I’m reasonably confident we’ll improve from here. I still think Selles is an issue and quite a big one - but it’s starting to settle into something like

Button, Yiadom, Bindon, Abbey, Dorsett, Craig, Wing, Knibbs, Azeez, Smith, +1

And i think that’s as good a team as we can pull together with Selles ‘system’

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Dec 2023 10:03

Selles is not a good manager, but the patterns of play we show in spurts show what his coaching is about. You can see a style of play we're committed to and that the players buy into. He'd be an excellent assistant under a manager with the same philosophy.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Dec 2023 10:34

WestYorksRoyal Selles is not a good manager, but the patterns of play we show in spurts show what his coaching is about. You can see a style of play we're committed to and that the players buy into. He'd be an excellent assistant under a manager with the same philosophy.

Can we know that for sure? I mean, that sounds like an assumption that his man management methods are wrong/don't work.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2023 11:44

YorkshireRoyal99
WestYorksRoyal Selles is not a good manager, but the patterns of play we show in spurts show what his coaching is about. You can see a style of play we're committed to and that the players buy into. He'd be an excellent assistant under a manager with the same philosophy.

Can we know that for sure? I mean, that sounds like an assumption that his man management methods are wrong/don't work.

Any manager can get their team to make them look like they're a good coach on occasion.

Early last season Ince had us playing fast, incisive attacking football on the counter, and tough tackling resilient defence in small bursts.

Paunovic had us playing ruthless football with an exceptional target man and intricate play in the middle briefly.

Stam had us control possession and work chances effectively. For a while.

Half a dozen 20 or 30 minute flashes across half a season is just what you get from a shit manager.