MATCHWATCH : Charlton Athletic (h)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Charlton Athletic (h)

by Stranded » 08 Dec 2023 12:22

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
WestYorksRoyal Selles is not a good manager, but the patterns of play we show in spurts show what his coaching is about. You can see a style of play we're committed to and that the players buy into. He'd be an excellent assistant under a manager with the same philosophy.

Can we know that for sure? I mean, that sounds like an assumption that his man management methods are wrong/don't work.

Any manager can get their team to make them look like they're a good coach on occasion.

Early last season Ince had us playing fast, incisive attacking football on the counter, and tough tackling resilient defence in small bursts.

Paunovic had us playing ruthless football with an exceptional target man and intricate play in the middle briefly.

Stam had us control possession and work chances effectively. For a while.

Half a dozen 20 or 30 minute flashes across half a season is just what you get from a shit manager.

Whilst the overriding feeling is he isn't much cop, the one doubt I always have, is we have absolutely no idea what the actual impact of the crap behind the scenes is having on the squad and coaching staff. How is it impacting training for example, are they as switched on as you need to be because there is all this shitshow to deal with?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2023 12:32

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Can we know that for sure? I mean, that sounds like an assumption that his man management methods are wrong/don't work.

Any manager can get their team to make them look like they're a good coach on occasion.

Early last season Ince had us playing fast, incisive attacking football on the counter, and tough tackling resilient defence in small bursts.

Paunovic had us playing ruthless football with an exceptional target man and intricate play in the middle briefly.

Half a dozen 20 or 30 minute flashes across half a season is just what you get from a shit manager.

Whilst the overriding feeling is he isn't much cop, the one doubt I always have, is we have absolutely no idea what the actual impact of the crap behind the scenes is having on the squad and coaching staff. How is it impacting training for example, are they as switched on as you need to be because there is all this shitshow to deal with?

I wouldn’t worry about it. His record at Saints was also shocking and he's given ample examples of poor management decisions in the build up to, during and after games.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Dec 2023 12:38

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal Any manager can get their team to make them look like they're a good coach on occasion.

I wouldn’t worry about it. His record at Saints was also shocking and he's given ample examples of poor management decisions in the build up to, during and after games.

Without sounding like I'm defending him too much (as I don't think he's great either), his record at Saints was shocking, but they were also an extremely poor team. Taking a step back, realistically how many other managers would have done better with what Southampton had?

Now I'd definitely argue someone could do a better job with this group of players as I believe they are underperforming (results-wise), but I'd put a reasonable assumption that the behind the scenes crap doesn't help either. If we to sack him today, how much of an improvement do we think we'd see from the squad with the off the field situation remaining the same? Probably a short-term boost and then back to shit? As per the last few seasons?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Dec 2023 13:07

Don’t think there is much chance and tbh much of a point sacking him right now. Think we’ve just won 4 of the last 5 haven’t we (albeit 1 on pens and 2 in the league trophy whatever it’s called)

He finally seems to be nearly settled on a first 11

Not expecting great things but do expect a general upturn in results

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Dec 2023 14:41

I think he has been helped by having a fully fit Wing in the side and a player in Azeez who has delivered some end product.

I'm not going to give him credit for that, and it took him way too long to relaise we were playing too narrow. Since we have played with more width we have got better results. Many fans noticed the width issue many weeks ago.

So lets see if he can earn his money and sort out why we still concede too many from wide balls into the box and why we concede from corners in injury time.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Dec 2023 14:47

Wycombe Royal I think he has been helped by having a fully fit Wing in the side and a player in Azeez who has delivered some end product.

I'm not going to give him credit for that, and it took him way too long to relaise we were playing too narrow. Since we have played with more width we have got better results. Many fans noticed the width issue many weeks ago.

So lets see if he can earn his money and sort out why we still concede too many from wide balls into the box and why we concede from corners in injury time.

I think you have to give him some credit for keeping Azeez in the side when it wasn't working for him - it would have been pretty easy for most managers to drop him but by continuing with him, the rewards are coming without potentially having damaged his confidence further.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Dec 2023 15:10

Stranded
Wycombe Royal I think he has been helped by having a fully fit Wing in the side and a player in Azeez who has delivered some end product.

I think you have to give him some credit for keeping Azeez in the side when it wasn't working for him - it would have been pretty easy for most managers to drop him but by continuing with him, the rewards are coming without potentially having damaged his confidence further.

But he did drop him for the match against Fleetwood when Camara was fit again. However Camara got injured again and brouight Azeez back. So no, I'm not giving him credit for that when he has very few other fit options for that position, if any.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Dec 2023 15:17

Wycombe Royal
Stranded

But he did drop him for the match against Fleetwood when Camara was fit again. However Camara got injured again and brouight Azeez back. So no, I'm not giving him credit for that when he has very few other fit options for that position, if any.

I meant from the squad - apologies for my lack of clarity. There were some, and I include myself, who felt it would be beneficial to remove him from the squad entirely for a period and maybe work on his finishing in the PL2 games.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2023 15:37

Yeah, I think we started the season wider initially too (when our results were better), before his idiot instructions bedded in.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2023 15:40

Stranded

He did drop him for 3 games. There was the hilarious game where Selles scaped goated and pulled Camara off at HT. I think he started Elliott there at least once too.

I'm not sure much credit is due. I think he was just looking at stats and ignoring what was actually happening on pitch.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Dec 2023 15:48

Snowflake Royal
Stranded

He did drop him for 3 games. There was the hilarious game where Selles scaped goated and pulled Camara off at HT. I think he started Elliott there at least once too.

I'm not sure much credit is due. I think he was just looking at stats and ignoring what was actually happening on pitch.

Incidentally, who do you reckon is leading the POTS charge at about halfway, seems a bit difficult to say given uSelles' great masterplan of chop and change every game, but I'd probably opt for Abbey, Wing and Savage so far. Azeez would probably nick it though if he suddenly found a consistent positive end product.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2023 15:50

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Incidentally, who do you reckon is leading the POTS charge at about halfway, seems a bit difficult to say given uSelles' great masterplan of chop and change every game, but I'd probably opt for Abbey, Wing and Savage so far. Azeez would probably nick it though if he suddenly found a consistent positive end product.

Wing by an absolute mile.

Smith and Abbey following well back in his wake.

Savage, as much as I want to like him and he scores and assists the odd belter... he's just a very meh player on the whole. Does good things but just doesn't influence games enough.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Dec 2023 15:55

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Abbey for me personally, it probably will be Wing though come the end of the season should he stay fit and continue to play like he does, similar with Smith. Azeez has improved, but plays like he is, just a bit hit or miss. Can look really dangerous one time with the ball, the next time he would just lose it cheaply, he is improving however.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Dec 2023 16:51

Wing - Abbey - Azeez - Smith for me atm

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Dec 2023 16:52

YorkshireRoyal99
Sutekh
Snowflake Royal He did drop him for 3 games. There was the hilarious game where Selles scaped goated and pulled Camara off at HT. I think he started Elliott there at least once too.

Abbey for me personally, it probably will be Wing though come the end of the season should he stay fit and continue to play like he does, similar with Smith. Azeez has improved, but plays like he is, just a bit hit or miss. Can look really dangerous one time with the ball, the next time he would just lose it cheaply, he is improving however.

Tbf you expect your creative players to be hit and miss at this level. If he consistently delivered, we'd get decent money for him.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 08 Dec 2023 18:38

Brighton U 21’s away in next round. Matches W/C 8th January.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 08 Dec 2023 19:49

Royals and Racers Brighton U 21’s away in next round. Matches W/C 8th January.

Very winnable if we play a few first teamers.

I guess it will be at Crawley

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 08 Dec 2023 21:08

Mid Sussex Royal
Royals and Racers Brighton U 21’s away in next round. Matches W/C 8th January.

Very winnable if we play a few first teamers.

I guess it will be at Crawley

I believe that the tie has to be played at the Home team's registered venue, so I take it that should be at the American Express Stadium. Unless B&H ask for the game to be moved to the Mad. Stad., and the EFL agree to it! So it will be Brighton then.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2023 21:10

If our second string can beat Arsenal U21s they can beat Brighton's too.

Hopefully another case of the difference being our lot having more actual match experience and being a step ahead.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Dec 2023 21:12

Snowflake Royal If our second string can beat Arsenal U21s they can beat Brighton's too.

Hopefully another case of the difference being our lot having more actual match experience and being a step ahead.

Though tbf they have some excellent youngsters playing in the first team. Guess it depends if they are still there