Parking

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

Parking

by Arnie_Pie » 11 Dec 2023 11:11

I expect this has been asked loads of times so apologies in advance. On the occasions I attend, it's always on a Saturday and I get the train in to town and then the bus.

As it's a Tuesday, against Oxford (concerned about potential trouble) and and I've got my 11 year old in tow who needs to go to school in the morning, I want to park for the first time. I'll be coming off and back onto the M4.

How long are the queues likely to be getting out of the onsite parking and am I better off parking a bit further away and walking?

Cheers.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Parking

by Hendo » 11 Dec 2023 11:13

Arnie_Pie I expect this has been asked loads of times so apologies in advance. On the occasions I attend, it's always on a Saturday and I get the train in to town and then the bus.

As it's a Tuesday, against Oxford (concerned about potential trouble) and and I've got my 11 year old in tow who needs to go to school in the morning, I want to park for the first time. I'll be coming off and back onto the M4.

How long are the queues likely to be getting out of the onsite parking and am I better off parking a bit further away and walking?

Cheers.

Would suggest parking and getting the bus from Mereoak. Unless you and your boy fancy a 30 min walk to the stadium.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 11 Dec 2023 11:38

Hendo
Arnie_Pie I expect this has been asked loads of times so apologies in advance. On the occasions I attend, it's always on a Saturday and I get the train in to town and then the bus.

Cheers.

Would suggest parking and getting the bus from Mereoak. Unless you and your boy fancy a 30 min walk to the stadium.

I'd agree with this if you're driving.

Depending on where you're coming from, I'd consider the football buses from out of Reading as well as it's unlikely there will be any trouble on them.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Dec 2023 12:15

Another option. Holiday Inn (Reading South), Basingstoke Road. A tenner to park. A mile walk to the stadium.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Dec 2023 12:17

RoyalBlue Another option. Holiday Inn (Reading South), Basingstoke Road. A tenner to park. A mile walk to the stadium.

That is never a mile is it? Felt a lot less when I parked there.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Dec 2023 12:20

NathStPaul
RoyalBlue Another option. Holiday Inn (Reading South), Basingstoke Road. A tenner to park. A mile walk to the stadium.

Bang on a mile according to Google Maps.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Dec 2023 12:21

Hendo
NathStPaul

Would never have thought it. Guess at the time I used to park there we were a semi competitive football team so the walk came with some element of excitement so didn't feel as long.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 11 Dec 2023 12:27

Clyde1998
Hendo

Cheers.

I'd agree with this if you're driving.

Depending on where you're coming from, I'd consider the football buses from out of Reading as well as it's unlikely there will be any trouble on them.

+1. Took about 40 minutes to get out of the stadium car park on Saturday. Admittedly it was the kids for a quid match, but despite the smaller crowds in League 1, the car park is still really slow to empty.

Another option not mentioned is the car park near Green Park station, on Longwater Drive opposite Thales. It's where the builders, doing the apartments near the GP station, park during the day. No idea if Green Park have cottoned on to people parking here for free, but it could be an option. Bear in mind, the traffic on the Green Park exit / B&Q roundabout and towards J11 always gets snarled up post-match.

Tinpot Royal

by Tinpot Royal » 11 Dec 2023 12:29

I noticed when walking from Mereoak on Saturday that you can park at the Tesco depot for £5 (cash), would imagine that's a challenge to get out of though

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 11 Dec 2023 13:07

If open tomorrow then the greyhound stadium car park is a lot quicker to get out of

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 11 Dec 2023 14:58

Where do you prebook the dogtrack? I've never noticed it on the RFC site, but have been turned away a few times as it's been so heavily prebooked

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Dec 2023 15:00

John Madejski's Wallet Where do you prebook the dogtrack? I've never noticed it on the RFC site, but have been turned away a few times as it's been so heavily prebooked

Tickets -> Ticket Office -> Tickets -> Matchday Parking -> Select Game -> Car Park 6

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 11 Dec 2023 15:22

Ta!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 11 Dec 2023 15:33

NathStPaul
Hendo
NathStPaul That is never a mile is it? Felt a lot less when I parked there.

Would never have thought it. Guess at the time I used to park there we were a semi competitive football team so the walk came with some element of excitement so didn't feel as long.

And now it feels like a slow soul sucking drudge?!

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Dec 2023 15:45

bcubed
NathStPaul
Hendo

Oh I haven't been for 3 years and won't again until Dai has gone.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 11 Dec 2023 16:00

On that note. Whatever happened to the user on here who used to call the stadium the "ego dome" and said they wouldn't return until Madejski had gone? Presumably, they came back and are enjoying life under Dai and the other owners we have had since Sir Mad.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 11 Dec 2023 16:15

NathStPaul
bcubed
NathStPaul Would never have thought it. Guess at the time I used to park there we were a semi competitive football team so the walk came with some element of excitement so didn't feel as long.

Oh I haven't been for 3 years and won't again until Dai has gone.

Me neither
But I liked your suggestion :D

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Dec 2023 16:29

Orion1871 On that note. Whatever happened to the user on here who used to call the stadium the "ego dome" and said they wouldn't return until Madejski had gone? Presumably, they came back and are enjoying life under Dai and the other owners we have had since Sir Mad.

I know that RoyalBlue always had a been in his bonnet about Madejski.

PlasticRoyal

by PlasticRoyal » 11 Dec 2023 16:44

After the match theres always a stream of people heading across the on-site carpark to the cut-through onto brooks drive....

Is there parking there too? Or bus stops? Where are they going?

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 11 Dec 2023 16:49

Hendo
Orion1871 On that note. Whatever happened to the user on here who used to call the stadium the "ego dome" and said they wouldn't return until Madejski had gone? Presumably, they came back and are enjoying life under Dai and the other owners we have had since Sir Mad.

I know that RoyalBlue always had a been in his bonnet about Madejski.

Not RB. Just done a search and it was Terminal Boredom.