276 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Oxford United (h)

by Stranded » 13 Dec 2023 21:27

Snowflake Royal
Greatwesternline
WestYorksRoyal And it's confidence really. Having the technique to make a 10 yard pass and identifying the right option should be 2nd nature to footballers. But when confidence is short, you 2nd guess what should come naturally, particularly in front of a nervous crowd which many of these guys are dealt with. Of course it affects their performance.

And, looking at the big picture, their efforts are futile without new ownership. They can keep us up this season, but if Dai remains we'll lose another load of players out of contract, get a new batch of teenagers, another dodgy manager and rinse and repeat. We spent 5 years circling the plug hole in the Championship before dropping out; the same awaits in L1 if Dai stays. Whereas under new owners, these players may see an opportunity to help this club recover; isn't that something to get more excited by?

The chaos at Wigan isnt preventing them winning matches.

You're aware they have just 1 point more than us in their last six games right?

And they now have stable ownership.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 13 Dec 2023 21:35

windermereROYAL
Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL
Maybe you should buy some, it was a coming together, there was a bigger shout down the other end a few minutes before that you neglected to mention.

The hand ball early on? I did, in fact, mention it.

And it wasn't just a coming together. Yiadom lunged for the ball, missed and the player went over him. Its a freekick everywhere else on the pitch and usually a penalty.

No, not the handball, somebody got to the byline, not sure who and was bundled down from behind.

I think that was Yiadom; he was nudged in the back, but nowhere near enough in it to give a penalty. The potential handball early in the game was more of a penalty - it's just whether the ball hit their defender's hand or not. He certainly had his hand up, like Bindon at the weekend; if it hit the hand with it in that position it would be a penalty.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Dec 2023 23:29

Clyde1998
windermereROYAL
Snowflake Royal The hand ball early on? I did, in fact, mention it.

And it wasn't just a coming together. Yiadom lunged for the ball, missed and the player went over him. Its a freekick everywhere else on the pitch and usually a penalty.

No, not the handball, somebody got to the byline, not sure who and was bundled down from behind.

I think that was Yiadom; he was nudged in the back, but nowhere near enough in it to give a penalty. The potential handball early in the game was more of a penalty - it's just whether the ball hit their defender's hand or not. He certainly had his hand up, like Bindon at the weekend; if it hit the hand with it in that position it would be a penalty.

I think I remember the Yiadom thing. Absolutely never a pen.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 14 Dec 2023 12:21

Snowflake Royal
Greatwesternline
WestYorksRoyal And it's confidence really. Having the technique to make a 10 yard pass and identifying the right option should be 2nd nature to footballers. But when confidence is short, you 2nd guess what should come naturally, particularly in front of a nervous crowd which many of these guys are dealt with. Of course it affects their performance.

And, looking at the big picture, their efforts are futile without new ownership. They can keep us up this season, but if Dai remains we'll lose another load of players out of contract, get a new batch of teenagers, another dodgy manager and rinse and repeat. We spent 5 years circling the plug hole in the Championship before dropping out; the same awaits in L1 if Dai stays. Whereas under new owners, these players may see an opportunity to help this club recover; isn't that something to get more excited by?

With selective picking of stats like that we'll make a politician of you yet old boy. :wink:

Last 5 games Wigan 9 Reading 7
Last 10 games Wigan 18 Reading 8
Last 15 games Wigan 21 Reading 12

But on the subject matter, yes it does appear to be the case that Wigan went into this season with all their ducks in a row, and as such my comparison of Reading to Wigan was deeply flawed and i hang my head in shame.

Not changing my mind on the youngsters motivations though. They are playing for personal promotions to bigger and better things. If anything a young defender may relish playing in a shit team because it gives them more opportunities to showcase their defensive talents. It did wonders for Martinez in goal.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Dec 2023 12:25

Is there not a middle ground here where we can agree that yes, the off-field stuff will affect confidence and yes, performances should still be better

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Dec 2023 13:09

genome Is there not a middle ground here where we can agree that yes, the off-field stuff will affect confidence and yes, performances should still be better

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Dec 2023 13:32

Greatwesternline
Snowflake Royal
Greatwesternline

With selective picking of stats like that we'll make a politician of you yet old boy. :wink:

Last 5 games Wigan 9 Reading 7
Last 10 games Wigan 18 Reading 8
Last 15 games Wigan 21 Reading 12

But on the subject matter, yes it does appear to be the case that Wigan went into this season with all their ducks in a row, and as such my comparison of Reading to Wigan was deeply flawed and i hang my head in shame.

Not changing my mind on the youngsters motivations though. They are playing for personal promotions to bigger and better things. If anything a young defender may relish playing in a shit team because it gives them more opportunities to showcase their defensive talents. It did wonders for Martinez in goal.

Selective in that its near universal track of recent form that features on many league tables.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 29 Jan 2024 19:30

https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/news ... r--reading

Thames Valley Police has today (29/1) made an additional thirteen arrests in relation to incidents of violent disorder in Reading.

The disorder occurred on Friar Street and Station Approach in Reading on the evening of 12 December last year and was related to the Reading versus Oxford football match. Ten people were arrested on the night and remain under investigation.

Superintendent Adrian Hall, Tactical Commander for the return fixture in Oxford on Saturday 3 February, said: “The disruptive and aggressive behaviour exhibited by a minority of individuals prior to the Reading versus Oxford game in December was unacceptable and as a result, we have taken action to locate and identify those responsible.

“Thames Valley Police will have a visible policing operation in place for the Oxford versus Reading fixture on Saturday 3 February to ensure that fans coming to enjoy the game, residents and the wider public feel safe when visiting Oxford. There will be football ‘spotters’ actively deployed to continue to identify and arrest those responsible for disorder in Reading on 12 December. Officers will be out and about throughout the day and on hand to answer any questions or concerns you may have – please feel free to stop them for a chat.”

Notes to Editors
  1. A 32-year-old man from Tilehurst was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He remains in police custody.
  2. A 33-year-old man from Arborfield Green was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He remains in police custody.
  3. A 33-year-old man from Spencers Wood, Reading was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He remains in police custody.
  4. A 34-year-old man from Wantage was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He remains in police custody.
  5. A 25-year-old man from Abingdon was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He remains in police custody.
  6. A 57-year-old man from Tilehurst was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He remains in police custody.
  7. A 50-year-old man from Caversham was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He remains in police custody.
  8. A 42-year-old man from Newbury was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He remains in police custody.
  9. A 39-year-old man from Shinfield was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He remains in police custody.
  10. A 28-year-old man from Littlemore was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He remains in police custody.
  11. A 58-year-old man from Sherfield-on-Loddon, Hampshire was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He remains in police custody.
  12. A 42-year-old man from Emmer Green, Reading was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He remains in police custody.
  13. A 47-year-old man from Witney was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He remains in police custody.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Jan 2024 19:38

57, 58 year olds….what planks

St P is right….euthanise anyone over 40

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2024 22:02

AthleticoSpizz 57, 58 year olds….what planks

Steady on now.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jan 2024 07:51

Snowflake Royal
AthleticoSpizz 57, 58 year olds….what planks

Steady on now.

Well at least that'd solve the problem with the current owner.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 30 Jan 2024 09:08

I'm going to this and sitting in the home end.

[BOO HISS TRAITOR]

My best friend is an Oxford fan, and has bought us tickets...

Wish me luck...

traff

by traff » 30 Jan 2024 10:08

skipper I'm going to this and sitting in the home end.

[BOO HISS TRAITOR]

Wish me luck...

Don't think you or your mate will have any trouble in the Eamon Dolan. Should be pretty quiet. :wink:

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 02 Feb 2024 07:37

traff
skipper I'm going to this and sitting in the home end.

[BOO HISS TRAITOR]

Wish me luck...

Don't think you or your mate will have any trouble in the Eamon Dolan. Should be pretty quiet. :wink:

Sorry! Thought I was posting in the away thread!!

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Feb 2024 09:22

If we win this, we'll be out of the drop zone if only for about 30 minutes before Port Vale kick off.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 02 Feb 2024 15:05

https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/news ... --reading/

Following a Thames Valley Police investigation, five more people have been arrested in connection with violent disorder in Reading.

The disorder occurred on Friar Street and Station Approach in Reading on the evening of 12 December last year and was related to the Reading versus Oxford football match.

1. A 19-year-old man from Tilehurst, Reading has been arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He has since been released on conditional bail.
  2. A 22-year-old man from Calcot, Reading has been arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He has since been released on conditional bail.
  3. A 22-year-old man from Upper Arncott, Bicester has been arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He has since been released on conditional bail.
  4. A 24-year-old man from Bermondsey, South East London has been arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He has since been released on conditional bail.
  5. A 48-year-old man from Upper Arncott, Bicester has been arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. He has since been released on conditional bail.
Superintendent Adrian Hall, Tactical Commander for the return fixture in Oxford tomorrow (3/2), said: “There will be an increased police presence in place for the Oxford versus Reading fixture tomorrow to ensure that fans coming to enjoy the game, residents and the wider public feel safe when visiting Oxford.

“Officers will be on hand to answer any questions or concerns you may have – please feel free to approach them.

“If you have any information you think could be relevant ahead of the match, please call us on 101, quoting reference number 43230557087.”

Bermondsey makes it sound like a Millwall fan came to Reading for a 'day out'.

276 posts