MATCHWATCH : Lincoln City (a)

175 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Lincoln City (a)

by Stranded » 16 Dec 2023 19:27

14th in the form table, undefeated in 2 away from home now. Next 4 games are big. If we are out of the bottom 4 after the Exeter game, then baring points deductions we should be OK.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 16 Dec 2023 19:37

Stranded 14th in the form table, undefeated in 2 away from home now. Next 4 games are big. If we are out of the bottom 4 after the Exeter game, then baring points deductions we should be OK.

Over the last 5 games we are 8th in form table.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Dec 2023 19:40

I think 9 from the next 4 is realistic, but 7 also perfectly good in our situation. Peterborough is obviously the free hit.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 16 Dec 2023 20:32

paultheroyal
Stranded 14th in the form table, undefeated in 2 away from home now. Next 4 games are big. If we are out of the bottom 4 after the Exeter game, then baring points deductions we should be OK.

Over the last 5 games we are 8th in form table.

Over the last 5 games, we have the best form of the 12 teams that form the bottom half of our league..

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 16 Dec 2023 21:02

We played well today and on another day would have won comfortably!! I think we are seeing the results of a more settled team and formation the team prefer playing.
The current back 4 look a little less likely to concede multiple goals per game, Dorsett has shored up the left side and Holmes has more experience than Bindon. However, saying that, the defending for Lincolns goal was schoolboy standard at best!!
There were signs today of swift attacking play played at pace and we just tore through Lincoln!! this is what happens with that belief coming back slowly and confidence building.
I think Mukairu needs a run in the team as this is the one area i feel we need to sharpen up (LW). There are clear signs of improvement however some of our simple passing is still woeful at times and just puts us back under pressure.
If we are able to bring in a loan replacement for Ballard i think a left sided attacker should be priority.

We are getting close to the half way point of the season and so far other than a few standout teams there really isn't much to scare us and with a settled team and hopefully Selles sticking with a settled formation i still believe we have enough to break out of the bottom four and to relative safety and hopefully a takeover and a regroup.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Dec 2023 22:15

Crowbar6753 We played well today and on another day would have won comfortably!! I think we are seeing the results of a more settled team and formation the team prefer playing.
The current back 4 look a little less likely to concede multiple goals per game, Dorsett has shored up the left side and Holmes has more experience than Bindon. However, saying that, the defending for Lincolns goal was schoolboy standard at best!!
There were signs today of swift attacking play played at pace and we just tore through Lincoln!! this is what happens with that belief coming back slowly and confidence building.
I think Mukairu needs a run in the team as this is the one area i feel we need to sharpen up (LW). There are clear signs of improvement however some of our simple passing is still woeful at times and just puts us back under pressure.
If we are able to bring in a loan replacement for Ballard i think a left sided attacker should be priority.

We are getting close to the half way point of the season and so far other than a few standout teams there really isn't much to scare us and with a settled team and hopefully Selles sticking with a settled formation i still believe we have enough to break out of the bottom four and to relative safety and hopefully a takeover and a regroup.

I was very worried about today. Some of those players have played a lot of football in the last 2 weeks but they proved me wrong and showed great energy, no sign of fatigue, pressed Lincoln well and created great chances. We couldn't have done more without winning the game.

The players didn't let the disallowed goals or the early goal bother them. They just kept going and that's a Reading team I want to see! Been a while since I've felt that from us in an away game and I go to most away games. Definitely up there for the best performances this season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Dec 2023 22:26

Hound Would say 10 of the 11 pick themselves at the moment, just that left mid spot

It’s certainly a better position than chopping and changing massively each game. Think Selles subs recently haven’t been too hot though

The really frustrating thing is Mukairu almost looks the business. He's quick and positive, and we seem to look more dangerous when he's on the left.

But he just keeps oxf*rd it up making poor decisions and terrible passes when it matters.

Maybe if we persist he'll starting showing more end product like Azeez has.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Dec 2023 08:03

WestYorksRoyal I think 9 from the next 4 is realistic, but 7 also perfectly good in our situation. Peterborough is obviously the free hit.

Win against Exeter and Cheltenham, draw with Wigan. Lose to Posh.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Dec 2023 09:07

Royal_jimmy
WestYorksRoyal I think 9 from the next 4 is realistic, but 7 also perfectly good in our situation. Peterborough is obviously the free hit.

Win against Exeter and Cheltenham, draw with Wigan. Lose to Posh.

I'd rather beat Wigan, otherwise it's 4 without a win. Then a draw at Cheltenham is not bad as they're having a mini resurgence.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 17 Dec 2023 11:22

Amazing scenes yesterday

[/url]

[/url]

Azeez is starting to remind me of “Gullitt” Gilkes - when he gets the ball something may happen (or not), but there’s always that frisson of excitement…
Last edited by Uke on 17 Dec 2023 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Dec 2023 11:24

Uke Amazing scenes yesterday

[/url]

[/url]

Azeez is starting to remind me of “Gullitt” Gilkes when he gets the ball something may happen (or not), but there’s that frisson of excitement…

99% of the time I’d say not.

Olise he isn’t

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 17 Dec 2023 11:28

leon
Uke Azeez is starting to remind me of “Gullitt” Gilkes when he gets the ball something may happen (or not), but there’s that frisson of excitement…

Olise he isn’t

Hence the Gilkes comparison. When he did something it was great, but in reality more often than not it fizzled out…

Smith and Azeez seem to also have developed a bit of understanding, there was one bit where the should have passed between them (can’t remember which way, but instead of throwing toys out of the pram there was a quick handshake to acknowledge each other.

As a team we are definitely gelling now

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Dec 2023 13:14

[/url]

[/url]

Azeez is starting to remind me of “Gullitt” Gilkes - when he gets the ball something may happen (or not), but there’s always that frisson of excitement…

That is stunning.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 17 Dec 2023 14:01

Uke
leon
Uke Azeez is starting to remind me of “Gullitt” Gilkes when he gets the ball something may happen (or not), but there’s that frisson of excitement…

Olise he isn’t

Hence the Gilkes comparison. When he did something it was great, but in reality more often than not it fizzled out…

Smith and Azeez seem to also have developed a bit of understanding, there was one bit where the should have passed between them (can’t remember which way, but instead of throwing toys out of the pram there was a quick handshake to acknowledge each other.

I'd say Gilkes was a lot more consistent. He knew how (and when) to actually put a decent cross in for a start. Yes, a lot of crosses would be sliced into the Tilehurst End, but he didn' run into dead ends, hit crosses that are blocked by the first man, or put in crosses aimed at nobody at all anything like as often as Azeez does.

Saying that, I think the art of wingplay has largely been lost, especially outside the premier league.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Dec 2023 14:06

Having watched the highlights, 2nd disallowed goal was 100% offside position.

Both Knibbs and Dorsett(?) were closer to the goal than the keeper when Yiadom shoots, so whilst there was a deeper defender, it's still offside.

And the first one still looks very much like a shove in the back and foul on the defender who puts it in.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 17 Dec 2023 16:26

Snowflake Royal

[/url]

[/url]

That is stunning.

But to get there you had to endure 45 minutes of the sun straight in your eyes

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Dec 2023 17:28

2nd disallowed goal was offside, but anyone else hate the rule about there needing to be 2 players behind the ball including GK? I've always thought it bails out keepers from poor decision making, and the should simply be one outfield player.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 17 Dec 2023 18:19

WestYorksRoyal 2nd disallowed goal was offside, but anyone else hate the rule about there needing to be 2 players behind the ball including GK? I've always thought it bails out keepers from poor decision making, and the should simply be one outfield player.

Going way back, it used to be any players ahead of the ball was offside - like in rugby. It's a wonder how the game ever took off! :lol:

I do think it should be changed to one outfield player as well and agree with the reasoning.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Dec 2023 18:36

tmesis
Uke
leon

Olise he isn’t

I'd say Gilkes was a lot more consistent. He knew how (and when) to actually put a decent cross in for a start. Yes, a lot of crosses would be sliced into the Tilehurst End, but he didn' run into dead ends, hit crosses that are blocked by the first man, or put in crosses aimed at nobody at all anything like as often as Azeez does.

Saying that, I think the art of wingplay has largely been lost, especially outside the premier league.

Gilkes did become more consistent with age, and we probably remember that most, eg the promotion under McGhee and play off year, but he was very raw when Azeez's age, I'd say worse.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 17 Dec 2023 18:38

Mid Sussex Royal
tmesis
Uke

Gilkes did become more consistent with age, and we probably remember that most, eg the promotion under McGhee and play off year, but he was very raw when Azeez's age, I'd say worse.

That's what I'd assume - Gilkes did start playing for us when he was 19 and stayed with us until he was 32. People who saw him play likely didn't see him when he first came through or had forgotten what we was like in his first season or two.

I certainly think Azeez has improved in the last month or so - has more of an end product; still not to finished product though.

175 posts