175 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Lincoln City (a)

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Dec 2023 18:39

Mid Sussex Royal
tmesis
Uke
Hence the Gilkes comparison. When he did something it was great, but in reality more often than not it fizzled out…

Smith and Azeez seem to also have developed a bit of understanding, there was one bit where the should have passed between them (can’t remember which way, but instead of throwing toys out of the pram there was a quick handshake to acknowledge each other.

As a team we are definitely gelling now

I'd say Gilkes was a lot more consistent. He knew how (and when) to actually put a decent cross in for a start. Yes, a lot of crosses would be sliced into the Tilehurst End, but he didn' run into dead ends, hit crosses that are blocked by the first man, or put in crosses aimed at nobody at all anything like as often as Azeez does.

Saying that, I think the art of wingplay has largely been lost, especially outside the premier league.

Gilkes did become more consistent with age, and we probably remember that most, eg the promotion under McGhee and play off year, but he was very raw when Azeez's age, I'd say worse.

He was certainly consistent at running the ball off the end of the pitch from summer 95.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 17 Dec 2023 22:07

Snowflake Royal
Mid Sussex Royal
tmesis I'd say Gilkes was a lot more consistent. He knew how (and when) to actually put a decent cross in for a start. Yes, a lot of crosses would be sliced into the Tilehurst End, but he didn' run into dead ends, hit crosses that are blocked by the first man, or put in crosses aimed at nobody at all anything like as often as Azeez does.

Saying that, I think the art of wingplay has largely been lost, especially outside the premier league.

Gilkes did become more consistent with age, and we probably remember that most, eg the promotion under McGhee and play off year, but he was very raw when Azeez's age, I'd say worse.

He was certainly consistent at running the ball off the end of the pitch from summer 95.

I think Gilkes, in his early days, suffered in comparison to Paul Canoville, where he was definitely not as good, but he became a dangerous player far earlier than the mid 90s.

Even with his strange temporary conversion to left back, he was already a handful for teams by the 87/88 season, partly because his pace was a massive asset, as well as (generally) being able to time his run to not be offside.

He had a bit of a dip in form in the early 90s, when he was rather oddly loaned out to Chelsea and Southampton, both playing in the top division, but got his act together again under McGhee.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 17 Dec 2023 22:18

tmesis
Snowflake Royal
Mid Sussex Royal

I think Gilkes, in his early days, suffered in comparison to Paul Canoville, where he was definitely not as good, but he became a dangerous player far earlier than the mid 90s.

Even with his strange temporary conversion to left back, he was already a handful for teams by the 87/88 season, partly because his pace was a massive asset, as well as (generally) being able to time his run to not be offside.

He had a bit of a dip in form in the early 90s, when he was rather oddly loaned out to Chelsea and Southampton, both playing in the top division, but got his act together again under McGhee.

Worth pointing out the Chelsea manager was Ian Porterfield and the Southampton manager was Ian Branfoot. I imagine both were simply seeing if he had the potential to play in the top flight after viewing him as a high potential player when they were at Reading.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 18 Dec 2023 06:57

Gilksey was a raw talent for the first 12-18 months. During this time often Instead of running with the ball he would just play it 20 yards in front of himself down the wing and it would be a sprint race between him and their right back, which Gilksey almost always won, roared on by the South Bank, but when he got to the bye line it was hit and miss whether he’d pick his man out or splice it in to the Tilehurst End!

When his game and close control developed he was a very clever and tricky player at Div3/2 level and was often the highlight for me watching Reading in the 80s and early 90s. He would often give some startled Div1 full back with a reputation at the top level a horrible night under the lights in a cup game.

The talent was definitely there and why he had those loan spells at Chelsea and Southampton, but the difference needed was more consistency, whether it was coming up against a better class of defender or just indifferent performances, he never quite made it. I certainly didn’t begrudge him having a shot at the highest level and would’ve been really pleased for him if it had worked out. I think that is the basic difference with the top players, more often than not being able to perform at their highest level almost every game.

On today’s bowling green pitches he would’ve been frightening and you could also argue that the cabbage patch Elm Park pitch in the 80s may have been a contributory factor in quite a few of those slices in to the Tilehurst End!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Dec 2023 08:38

Heard we were quite unlucky not to come with all 3 points on Saturday, especially after 2 disallowed goals as well. Not a bad point away from home all things considered, especially going behind early on, a couple of months ago we'd have probably crumbled but seems as if we took the game to them really.

Sounded like both full backs had a good game as well, it was a good pass by Dorsett for Knibbs' goal I thought as well.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Dec 2023 09:13

Do think Selles red card was a bit ridiculously harsh on viewing. Prob should have just let it go through his legs and stood still but even so.

Both goals prob disallowed correctly though the first one was the sort of thing that often doesn’t get called. Shame as good play and ball from Femi

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 18 Dec 2023 10:34

Didnt realise Mark Bowen was in with the fans on Saturday, nice touch. Anyone manage to get any snippets from him?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 18 Dec 2023 10:43

paultheroyal Didnt realise Mark Bowen was in with the fans on Saturday, nice touch. Anyone manage to get any snippets from him?

Was he in the group at the front on the left who spent the whole second half singing about Oxf*rd and reliving last Tuesday?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Dec 2023 12:55

Hound Do think Selles red card was a bit ridiculously harsh on viewing. Prob should have just let it go through his legs and stood still but even so.

Both goals prob disallowed correctly though the first one was the sort of thing that often doesn’t get called. Shame as good play and ball from Femi

Managers do seem to get straight reds for much less than players. I don't think he gets the red for that if the ref hadn't already had to come over and have words with him about something else.

It's really not hard for coaches and managers to avoid being disciplined by the refs. Why we keep hiring such ill disciplined losers I don't know.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Dec 2023 12:57

Snowflake Royal
Hound Do think Selles red card was a bit ridiculously harsh on viewing. Prob should have just let it go through his legs and stood still but even so.

Managers do seem to get straight reds for much less than players. I don't think he gets the red for that if the ref hadn't already had to come over and have words with him about something else.

It's really not hard for coaches and managers to avoid being disciplined by the refs. Why we keep hiring such ill disciplined losers I don't know.

Selles stopped an opponent from restarting play by kicking the ball away. Under the laws of the game that is an instant red card for a manager/coach.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Dec 2023 13:21

Stranded
Snowflake Royal

Selles stopped an opponent from restarting play by kicking the ball away. Under the laws of the game that is an instant red card for a manager/coach.

Didn’t realise that was the case, but then yes just let it go through his legs and stand there, would have done much the same thing and he is under no obligation to stop the ball

Not that managers getting sent off makes much of a difference anyway

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Dec 2023 13:29

Hound
Stranded
Snowflake Royal Managers do seem to get straight reds for much less than players. I don't think he gets the red for that if the ref hadn't already had to come over and have words with him about something else.

Didn’t realise that was the case, but then yes just let it go through his legs and stand there, would have done much the same thing and he is under no obligation to stop the ball

Is he banned from the touchline for Wigan?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Dec 2023 13:43

WestYorksRoyal
Hound
Stranded

Yes, all match day activitiy I believe - so will be watching on from the stands.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 Dec 2023 13:57

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal
Hound

Yes, all match day activitiy I believe - so will be watching on from the stands.

Selles when we're chasing the game and Andrew Sparkes doesn't use our last substitution to replace Dorsett with Mbengue.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Dec 2023 15:10

Hound
Stranded
Snowflake Royal Managers do seem to get straight reds for much less than players. I don't think he gets the red for that if the ref hadn't already had to come over and have words with him about something else.

I actually thought it was quite clever from Selles tbh. Let's be fair, if one of our players on the field did that we'd be praising them in that scenario, especially with our goalkeeper 35 yards from goal as well.

And seen as some people believe Selles is the problem, should be even better with him not on the touchline. But agree, I don't think they have that much influence there anyway.

175 posts