120 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Wigan Athletic (h)

by Sutekh » 17 Dec 2023 11:41

When : Saturday 23 December 2023, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

It's Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiistmaaaaaas! And Wigan bounce back to the stadium for the first time in 8 months. Yes this lot dropped with Reading in May and have gone through similar ownership troubles with non payment of wages, though to be fair their owners actually cared enough to sell the club and since then things have picked up for the Latics, even with an 8 point deduction.

That 8 point deduction had been wiped out by the end of August mainly due to an away stuffing of Derby on the opening day then Bolton at the temple of sheet (or what ever they call their ground these days) a couple of weeks later. As you'd expect this lot are fairly deadly at this level rather than the perennial strugglers that turn up when in the Championship.

If nothing had been deducted Wigan would be 10th with 31 points but instead they are 17th with 23 points (a good 7 points above the drop zone) and on a totally nondescript run of league form (1 win in 5) and did lose last time out, at Port Vale, so this could be the best time to play them (especially if Reading's management can get things right for a change).

Callum McManaman, Stephen Humphrys and Charlie and Wyke are the main dangermen here with 16 goals between them plus Stephen Sessegnon joined from Fulham in the summer so plenty of talent that needs to be shut away by the Royals.

Ruben Selles is suspended for this one so he'll only be able to watch from the stands and not contribute to the match day experience as he would normally. Tom McIntyre could well be back in the reckoning and Reading could therefore be at what is now considered full strength (for the first time mid-season since god knows when) as only the "quarantined" Ejaria and the "season-over" Ballard (and possibly the "footballer" known as Mola) are unavailable .

Referee

Martin Woods

Previously

Nowt.

Historically

Wigan are one of the very few clubs that Reading have played in all four divisions. There have been twenty four previous visits from the Latics for league points and more often than not the outcome is decisive as there’s only been three draws (all 1-1) in that time.

Of the remaining twenty one games Reading have won thirteen to Wigan’s eight but Wigan have won 4 of the last 7 games played in Reading.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Wigan Athletic (h)

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Dec 2023 12:20

Tough call on what to do with Tommy Mac if he's fit. Definitely bench.

I fancy him alongside Abbey and as a better bet than Holmes, but he's not a natural RCB. And Holmes currently deserves his place. And no way they should play together.

He could play LB, but Dorsett is doing fine and has some pace, unlike Tom, which is important, no matter what YR would try to tell you.

Then he can also play DM, though I've never considered him more than emergency cover there, and Craig is doing fine.

Team should really speak for itself at this point.

.......................Button
Yiadom, Holmes, Abbey, Dorsett
................Wing........Craig
..Azeez..........Knibbs........Mukairu
.......................Smith

Subs: Pereira*, McIntyre, Savage, Elliott, Vickers, Ehibhatiomhan, Mbengue

Harsh on Bindon and NGW. Tbf that squad should be top half. Would still be tempted by NGW left wing.

Next cup game should be:

.......................Pereira*
Abrefa, Mbengue, McIntyre, NGW
...............Rushesha, Savage
..Vickers.........Elliott............Camara
................Ehibhatiomhan

Which looks a pretty decent line up to me. Again, harsh on Bindon and Carson, but I really don't think either Bindon or Mbengue work as fullbacks.

*CBC if fit.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 17 Dec 2023 12:23

Mbengue hasn't looked great when he's come on recently but Selles perseveres. Guaranteed he'll be one of the subs on Saturday

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Dec 2023 13:13

He's just not a fullback.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 17 Dec 2023 14:16

Snowflake Royal He's just not a fullback.

Do we know what he is any more?

A common theme with Selles is not playing players in their best position (or even knowing their best position). Somehow he seems to have stumbled on where to play Knibbs now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Dec 2023 14:28

morganb
Snowflake Royal He's just not a fullback.

Do we know what he is any more?

A common theme with Selles is not playing players in their best position (or even knowing their best position). Somehow he seems to have stumbled on where to play Knibbs now.

I still think he's best at CB. Him and Abbey be could be a quality Championship pairing for a long time. Just a bit more experience and success needed.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Dec 2023 15:00

morganb Mbengue hasn't looked great when he's come on recently but Selles perseveres. Guaranteed he'll be one of the subs on Saturday

He does adequately cover the back 4 and even midfield so a useful option on the bench.

Likewise think he is good enough to be a starting CB and for me is ahead of Bindon for that role

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Dec 2023 15:02

We're well stocked at CB though; he is needed at full back, We basically have no depth behind Yiadom and Dorsett, though TMac's return will cover at LB. Who knows where Abrefa is in all this.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 17 Dec 2023 15:35

WestYorksRoyal We're well stocked at CB though; he is needed at full back, We basically have no depth behind Yiadom and Dorsett, though TMac's return will cover at LB. Who knows where Abrefa is in all this.

I can only guess Abrefa is injured - he'd certainly be in the U21 match squad otherwise. He was sat a few rounds ahead of me at the FA Youth Cup game on Tuesday with Nelson Abbey, Caylan Vickers, Jeriel Dorsett (I think), Harvey Maudner (I think), someone who looked like Ovie Ejaria(!) and a couple of others I didn't recognise - possibly other young players, staff or non-footballing friends/family.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Dec 2023 18:52

Clyde1998
WestYorksRoyal We're well stocked at CB though; he is needed at full back, We basically have no depth behind Yiadom and Dorsett, though TMac's return will cover at LB. Who knows where Abrefa is in all this.

I can only guess Abrefa is injured - he'd certainly be in the U21 match squad otherwise. He was sat a few rounds ahead of me at the FA Youth Cup game on Tuesday with Nelson Abbey, Caylan Vickers, Jeriel Dorsett (I think), Harvey Maudner (I think), someone who looked like Ovie Ejaria(!) and a couple of others I didn't recognise - possibly other young players, staff or non-footballing friends/family.

Abrefa. Really don’t understand why he isn’t getting more game time. Presume it’s due to injury but he’s been not involved for so long.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Dec 2023 09:46

Snowflake Royal Tough call on what to do with Tommy Mac if he's fit. Definitely bench.

I fancy him alongside Abbey and as a better bet than Holmes, but he's not a natural RCB. And Holmes currently deserves his place. And no way they should play together.

He could play LB, but Dorsett is doing fine and has some pace, unlike Tom, which is important, no matter what YR would try to tell you.

Then he can also play DM, though I've never considered him more than emergency cover there, and Craig is doing fine.

Harsh on Bindon and NGW. Tbf that squad should be top half. Would still be tempted by NGW left wing.

Next cup game should be:

Which looks a pretty decent line up to me. Again, harsh on Bindon and Carson, but I really don't think either Bindon or Mbengue work as fullbacks.

*CBC if fit.

Yeah the first team there appears to be the one that looks like our best and gives us the best chance of getting out of trouble. Think NGW is just out of favour now and the only route I see TMac getting back into the side would be as a holding midfielder, although Craig is doing ok alongside Wing and it's the best our midfield has looked all season. Bindon deserves a spot on the bench instead of Mbengue, although the latter's versatility probably gives him that spot.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Dec 2023 10:05

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Tough call on what to do with Tommy Mac if he's fit. Definitely bench.

Next cup game should be:

*CBC if fit.

Yeah the first team there appears to be the one that looks like our best and gives us the best chance of getting out of trouble. Think NGW is just out of favour now and the only route I see TMac getting back into the side would be as a holding midfielder, although Craig is doing ok alongside Wing and it's the best our midfield has looked all season. Bindon deserves a spot on the bench instead of Mbengue, although the latter's versatility probably gives him that spot.

If Craig gets injured, McIntyre >>>>Hutchinson.

I do also wonder if Holmes will leave in January, making McIntyre the partner for Abbey. 2 left footers, but there are plenty of one footed CB combos.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Dec 2023 08:48

McIntyre out, doubtful also for Peterborough. Seems he's been very ill now and has not trained at all this week.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 23 Dec 2023 09:19

After the performance against Lincoln last week I am really looking forward to this one. It’s a really important game as it sets the tone for a busy period of games where we could lift ourselves out of the relegation zone.

With regards to Mbengue he’ should be a CB atm, but I’d like to think that he can develop into a Leigertwood type holding midfielder.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 23 Dec 2023 09:36

Sutekh McIntyre out, doubtful also for Peterborough. Seems he's been very ill now and has not trained at all this week.

Hopefully the manager learns from the last time McIntyre hadn't trained for ages and Selles chucked him straight into full training.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Dec 2023 12:51

Sutekh McIntyre out, doubtful also for Peterborough. Seems he's been very ill now and has not trained at all this week.

If he has COVID like me won't see him for weeks. Think I got it at the Oxford game. Pissed I can't go today but I'm gasping for breathe at times and and got a temperature still. Wouldn't want to give this to anyone.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Dec 2023 14:01

Mbengue in for Yiadom

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 23 Dec 2023 14:01

Yiadom nowhere. Mbengue takes his place at RB

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Dec 2023 14:02

Odd. Selles said no new fitness yesterday, but something must have happened to Yiadom. Mbengue a big downgrade on current form.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Dec 2023 14:08

WestYorksRoyal Odd. Selles said no new fitness yesterday, but something must have happened to Yiadom. Mbengue a big downgrade on current form.

Probably just need a new "scapegoat" now Ejaria has gone.

120 posts