MATCHWATCH : Wigan Athletic (h)

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Wigan Athletic (h)

by PieEater » 23 Dec 2023 19:06

There's a complete lack of belief that is starting to turn, even at 2-0 up you still think we are going to contrive to lose it. This is the first game that hasn't happened. A few more of these and the fans will be on side.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Dec 2023 19:08

Cannot argue with that ^ (Ian would rupture a spleen of course)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Dec 2023 19:57

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal With hindsight, Selles would have done a lot differently in his first 12 games or so. But, belatedly, he's learning. That's what you need to do as a rookie manager.

It's hardly hindsight if all the fans and Dellor see it 6 weeks before he does is it.

How long will you persist with this? If we beat Cheltenham, Exeter and Port Value you'll be starting to look like a right idiot.

You can try to re-write history if you want, but a few decent results that should be the expectation, don't impress me much.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Dec 2023 20:03

Hound
Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal With hindsight, Selles would have done a lot differently in his first 12 games or so. But, belatedly, he's learning. That's what you need to do as a rookie manager.

It's hardly hindsight if all the fans and Dellor see it 6 weeks before he does is it.

Yes the narrow rubbish, followed by the 4-2-4 thing he tried straight after sucked badly. Craig coming in alongside Wing in a settled midfield has made a big difference

Do think having a much more settled side, Wing and Smith being fit, Azeez adding goals and assists and Knibbs played in his right position are all massive factors

We should never be bottom 4 with this squad regardless. Chance now to build on this whilst the performances are reasonable and we’re getting a bit of the rub of the green with injuries etc and get ourselves safe-ish in the next 6 weeks or so

I think the settled side is definitely a consequence of finally making some less shit managerial decisions, rather than a conscious choice to have a settled side to try to improve results.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 23 Dec 2023 20:16

Sutekh Up to 21st, 1 point behind Exeter in 20th.

Weren't we 9 points adrift at one stage? Definitely been an impressive recovery and we look much confident as a unit.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 23 Dec 2023 20:20

Royality creeps In
Royal_jimmy I actually feel for the Wigan fans who travelled down today. Long journey near Christmas and their team are were absolutely pathetic. If the roles were reversed I'd be fuming.

Ok performance, felt so comfortable and didn't feel nervous in the game at any stage. Big win and got the job done.

To be honest. Not sure there were actually any Wigan fans there.
From my position in 1871 didn't see or hear any

400 ish travelled I reckon. More than they took to us in the championship in a similarly timed fixture.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Dec 2023 20:25

Royal_jimmy

Weren't we 9 points adrift at one stage? Definitely been an impressive recovery and we look much confident as a unit.

10 I think

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 23 Dec 2023 20:33

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal It's hardly hindsight if all the fans and Dellor see it 6 weeks before he does is it.

How long will you persist with this? If we beat Cheltenham, Exeter and Port Value you'll be starting to look like a right idiot.

You can try to re-write history if you want, but a few decent results that should be the expectation, don't impress me much.

Alright, Shania Twain, but having a pop at Selles today just looks like someone doing everything they can to grind their axe rather than a genuine criticism.

We were helped by Wigan looking low on confidence once they went behind, and there were still a lot of mistakes, but there was more good than bad today, and we look to have enough to ease away from danger.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 23 Dec 2023 20:36

tmesis
Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal How long will you persist with this? If we beat Cheltenham, Exeter and Port Value you'll be starting to look like a right idiot.

Alright, Shania Twain, but having a pop at Selles today just looks like someone doing everything they can to grind their axe rather than a genuine criticism.

This ^

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Dec 2023 21:16

History is yesterday

I reckon Ian needs to find a new past-time or club, he cannot enjoy seeing (possible) green shoots nor Reading wins without displaying being the miserable little toad that he is.

Plenty of teams in Cambridgeshire to shout your opinion on.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 23 Dec 2023 21:24

AthleticoSpizz History is yesterday

I reckon Ian needs to find a new past-time or club, he cannot enjoy seeing (possible) green shoots nor Reading wins without displaying being the miserable little toad that he is.

Oof power post

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Dec 2023 21:31

Brogue
AthleticoSpizz History is yesterday

Oof power post
well, sorry, not one for ‘pile-ons” (I’ve had my share) but his biased whittlings are becoming tiresome of late, basically the historical failings of our current manager are progressively becoming , well erm, a bit history.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Dec 2023 10:23

You guys are all obsessed.

Spizz in particular is always dropping little bitchy comments everywhere, although he runs off in a huff any time anyone directly disagrees with him on something.

Making an absolute mountain over one comment during the game about a substitution. :roll:

Maybe focus on the game and stop obsessing about me, you weird stalkers.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 24 Dec 2023 10:25

Merry Christmas Ian

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 Dec 2023 10:46

Not sure I’d go that far

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Dec 2023 10:56

Hound
Royal_jimmy

10 I think

It was 10 after Shrewsbury....we've basically wiped out the deficit in 6 games, aided admittedly by Exeter and Burton going crap.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Dec 2023 11:04

Mid Sussex Royal
Hound
Royal_jimmy

10 I think

It was 10 after Shrewsbury....we've basically wiped out the deficit in 6 games, aided admittedly by Exeter and Burton going crap.

Yeah that's right. And people were talking about how we were doomed with no chance to recover that position, with about two thirds of the season to go.

yuomi

by yuomi » 24 Dec 2023 12:16

Goodness me, the HNA Christmas drama is decidedly lacking in spice this year.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Dec 2023 13:35

yuomi Goodness me, the HNA Christmas drama is decidedly lacking in spice this year.

Mixed or Baby?

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 30 Dec 2023 11:27

Attendance finally appeared today as 11772