Confirmed - Ejaria gone

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Confirmed - Ejaria gone

by Stranded » 19 Dec 2023 07:19

It's always of course possible that Ejaria is just one of those football players, who well, hates football - or at least all the things that go with being one that isn't playing games but realised he has the talent to make a decent wedge.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 19 Dec 2023 07:56

Undeniable talent, and it's a shame it didn't work out here. I will wish him well.

As has been said before, we don't know what's going on behind closed doors so for all we know he's had a really tough time of it and might never play again.

It should also go without saying, but being a footballer and earning loads of money doesn't preclude you from going through bad times.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 19 Dec 2023 07:58

yuomi Was talking to a Rangers fan friend shortly after Ovie signed and he called his time with us pretty much to a tee. Frustrating, flashes of brilliance but everything totally on his own terms and with very little regard for the team or club as a whole.

Thought he tended to stifle our momentum and slow down play. His skills, while impressive, far too often led to nothing. I'm sure there's a player in there, and with the right manager/motivation he could kick on. But if he wasn't being motivated by what we were paying him he better hope his agent has contacts in Saudi Arabia.

Wouldn't be a bad thing in this team of everyone rush forward and leave acres of space behind for the opposition to run into after one rushed pass goes astray.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 Dec 2023 08:43

Echoing a fair bit of what has already been said but, a talented player with seemingly very little work ethic and attitude towards the club and possibly even the game itself for whatever reasons. I always thought his "best" spells (or most consistent at least) was when he played through the middle rather than out wide, although that's only because I thought he was decent during his initial loan spell.

Anyway, a player out means we can potentially bring someone else in now as well which is a positive at least and it gets rid of an uncommitted player around the dressing room. We may never know, but I'd like to know who initiated his exit, be it the player, manager, Bowen etc.
Last edited by YorkshireRoyal99 on 19 Dec 2023 09:05, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Dec 2023 08:47

Supposedly £12,500.00 p.w. saved so good for that reason, perhaps that will make the inability to pay others on time less likely in the coming months.

Wonder how much it cost to pay him off though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Dec 2023 08:53

Sutekh Supposedly £12,500.00 p.w. saved so good for that reason, perhaps that will make the inability to pay others on time less likely in the coming months.

Well there is certainly a suggestion we’ve saved money by doing this so must have come to some agreement and not just paid the contract off. Which is better than a lot of the wasters we’ve had over the years that have just let their sky high wages run the course of the contract

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 19 Dec 2023 10:14

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Good riddance. He will one day look back and think what could have been of his football career if he gave more for this football club.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Dec 2023 10:26

Hound
Sutekh Supposedly £12,500.00 p.w. saved so good for that reason, perhaps that will make the inability to pay others on time less likely in the coming months.

Well there is certainly a suggestion we’ve saved money by doing this so must have come to some agreement and not just paid the contract off. Which is better than a lot of the wasters we’ve had over the years that have just let their sky high wages run the course of the contract

Some credit for Ovie there then.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 19 Dec 2023 10:36

In hindsight Ejaria (together with Aluko and Puscas) represented all that went wrong with the club over the last few Years; top money paid for an exciting prospect who didn't deliver and financially crippled us.

Hopefully with his departure the club has turned the corner of having over paid and under performing liabilities at the club, and can now move on, never to repeat the same mistakes again in the future.

All that is now needed is - of course - a new owner (and in all probability, hard on the heels of a new owner a new Manager).

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 19 Dec 2023 10:37

Good luck to Ovie. I hope he conquers whatever demons he is fighting (which clearly he is), and can still forge a meaningful career for himself.

In a few years we may hear a story like Scott Davies or Greg Halford come out.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Dec 2023 10:39

Reading4eva Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Good riddance. He will one day look back and think what could have been of his football career if he gave more for this football club.

Will he? He may equally look back and regret even playing football at all.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Dec 2023 10:43

Hound

I would imagine there has been some negotiation to reach an agreeable figure, likely paid in instalments that allows him to leave now and be able to negotiate elsewhere as a free agent, if he wishes to. Position may well have been, you can leave now and receive 50% of your wages or you can continue to receive 100% be contracted until the end of June but we won't include you in first team training or any games at any level. Would mean him not playing football of any kind for 2 years, not an enticing free agent.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 19 Dec 2023 10:43

Elm Park Kid Obviously no one knows the full story. I hope he manages to sort himself out (or whatever was going wrong) and finds success elsewhere.

I remember reading this book by an ex-scout who said that when looking at young players you had to really investigate their background and personality. Because there were so many gifted, passionate players that he knew would never make it because they didn't have the mental strength to back it up. They would inevitably go off the rails at some point. It's just amazing to think that there are all these potential professional players who didn't make it because . . well. . .because they're basically dicks.

Back in the day I used to watch a lot of Sunday League football and the best player I ever saw was Nevada Phillips who played for Dee Road (among others). Apprentice at Spurs who let him go due to his attitude, had a spell at Reading where I recall the attitude continued. Had a decent spell in non-league where his indiscretions were overlooked.

Heard a story from Jimmy Kellman when he was manager at Hungerford. Over the winter period one season the pitches were unplayable for a while but training continued throughout. No sign of Nevada until the snow disappeared and the sun came out. When Kellman asked him where he had been the response was "Snow's white I'm black we don't mix" and strolled into the dressing room.

He also played minor cricket for Berkshire but his cricket career went a similar way. From Hobnob in 2009

He was banned for life from the Berkshire Cricket League in the late 1980s, he used to play for Purley CC, and in what turned out to be his final match for them was given out but refused to leave the field, instead choosing to sit down on the pitch, ending play

You can have all the talent in the world but it has to be combined with the right mental attitude especially at the top level.

WRTTOP - in his early day Ejaria got me out of my seat regularly and I'm sad to see it end this way but obviously for the best.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 19 Dec 2023 10:47

A bit like James Lambert in a way.

What a wasted talent he was.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 Dec 2023 10:50

He is sadly another example of wasted talent in professional football due to attitude. I hope he can get his head screwed on and focus but he has a touch of the Ravel Morrison's about him.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 19 Dec 2023 11:33

Given our financial situation, i'd be surprised really if we paid him anything upfront. I wouldn't be surprised if we simply agreed to monthly instalment payments mirroring his wages until/if he gets a new club.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 Dec 2023 11:52

People forget that in terms of points per game we did better when Ejaria was playing then when he was not. He was an undeniable talent and it is sad that something went horribly wrong behind the scenes. No point speculating what now that he has gone, but I wish him well and hope he can make it somewhere.

Hopefully it will save the club some money too (if he can find a new club soon) and assuming we are able/allowed to sign any players in January, it frees up a place in the squad.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 Dec 2023 12:35

andrew1957 People forget that in terms of points per game we did better when Ejaria was playing then when he was not. He was an undeniable talent and it is sad that something went horribly wrong behind the scenes. No point speculating what now that he has gone, but I wish him well and hope he can make it somewhere.

Hopefully it will save the club some money too (if he can find a new club soon) and assuming we are able/allowed to sign any players in January, it frees up a place in the squad.

We also had a better team from when he was playing, compared to when he was not, when you look at individuals at least anyway. The likes of Swift, Meite at his best, Joao at his best, Puscas' good season etc. I don't think the team was significantly better with solely him in the team.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 Dec 2023 12:53

Bugger off back to the Bournemouth forum.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Dec 2023 13:06

NathStPaul

Bugger off back to the Bournemouth forum.

Or the how intelligent are you thread on AE!