BFTG - Wigan

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - Wigan

by Sutekh » 24 Dec 2023 10:55

Snowflake Royal
Clyde1998
Brogue Also, isn’t it noticeable that this last 6 games were our results have improved (since Shrewsbury) that Harlee dean NGW and hutch have not been in any of the match day squads.

This. I think Dean has been poor this season. It cannot be a coincidence we've lost all but one of the games he's been involved in this season in the league (out of ten) - the only game we didn't lose was the 0-0 against Burton. NGW is in the same boat - played eight, lost seven, drawn one.

League record with (any match they played a part in) and without Dean and NGW:
With Dean - Pld 10; W0; D1; L9; GF 8; GA 21; P/G 0.10
Without Dean - Pld 12; W6; D3; L3; GF 19; GA 14; P/G 1.75

With NGW - Pld 8; W0; D1; L7; GF 7; GA 17; P/G 0.13
Without NGW - Pld 14; W6; D3; L5; GF 20; GA 18; P/G 1.50

Both last played a league game when they came off the bench late for our collapse against Shrewsbury.

Hutchinson's record isn't anywhere near as bad:
With Hutch - Pld 12; W3; D2; L7; GF 11; GA 17; P/G 0.92
Without Hutch - Pld 10; W3; D2; L5; GF 16; GA 18; P/G 1.10

Craig has certainly shown he's more effective than Hutch since he's come in though.

You have to remember that NGW and Dean featured mostly in a side playing in a way that set them up to fail.

NGW in particular (along with the other fullbacks) had ludicrous expectation on his shoulders to play forward and provide all our width, but also be able to be back and defend the flanks solo. Hiding to nothing.

Dean had a less hard job, and never looked much cop, but he was having to deal with being overrun down the flanks and through the soft middle at the time.

You'd see the same correlation in failure if you looked at formation vs formation. There are plenty still in the team who played throughhe shit losing system, and now look better picking up better results in the real shape we use now.

Dorsett's the right choice at LB, but I'd expect NGW to fair much better in this set up than early in the season too. Dean to a lesser extent, though he's way down the CB pecking order.

I think it's also worth praising Holmes. We're unbeaten since he came back into the side and a lot of people were happy to write him off as awful.

Wing has been a bit disappointing the last couple of games, but still ok.

It's amazing how when you find players who fit in complementary partnerships in a workable system things go better than when you play a flawed style and just throw in whoever you think is your best individual for each position.

Think I'd start targetting NGW as a left winger who can help out whoever is at left back and occasionally fill in there if injury and/or suspensions make things desperate.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Dec 2023 11:01

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
Clyde1998 This. I think Dean has been poor this season. It cannot be a coincidence we've lost all but one of the games he's been involved in this season in the league (out of ten) - the only game we didn't lose was the 0-0 against Burton. NGW is in the same boat - played eight, lost seven, drawn one.

League record with (any match they played a part in) and without Dean and NGW:
With Dean - Pld 10; W0; D1; L9; GF 8; GA 21; P/G 0.10
Without Dean - Pld 12; W6; D3; L3; GF 19; GA 14; P/G 1.75

With NGW - Pld 8; W0; D1; L7; GF 7; GA 17; P/G 0.13
Without NGW - Pld 14; W6; D3; L5; GF 20; GA 18; P/G 1.50

Both last played a league game when they came off the bench late for our collapse against Shrewsbury.

Hutchinson's record isn't anywhere near as bad:
With Hutch - Pld 12; W3; D2; L7; GF 11; GA 17; P/G 0.92
Without Hutch - Pld 10; W3; D2; L5; GF 16; GA 18; P/G 1.10

Craig has certainly shown he's more effective than Hutch since he's come in though.

You have to remember that NGW and Dean featured mostly in a side playing in a way that set them up to fail.

NGW in particular (along with the other fullbacks) had ludicrous expectation on his shoulders to play forward and provide all our width, but also be able to be back and defend the flanks solo. Hiding to nothing.

Dean had a less hard job, and never looked much cop, but he was having to deal with being overrun down the flanks and through the soft middle at the time.

You'd see the same correlation in failure if you looked at formation vs formation. There are plenty still in the team who played throughhe shit losing system, and now look better picking up better results in the real shape we use now.

Dorsett's the right choice at LB, but I'd expect NGW to fair much better in this set up than early in the season too. Dean to a lesser extent, though he's way down the CB pecking order.

I think it's also worth praising Holmes. We're unbeaten since he came back into the side and a lot of people were happy to write him off as awful.

Wing has been a bit disappointing the last couple of games, but still ok.

It's amazing how when you find players who fit in complementary partnerships in a workable system things go better than when you play a flawed style and just throw in whoever you think is your best individual for each position.

Think I'd start targetting NGW as a left winger who can help out whoever is at left back and occasionally fill in there if injury and/or suspensions make things desperate.

Yeah, agreed.

Next Trophy game could be:

................Pereira/CBC
Abrefa, Bindon, McIntyre, Carson
............Rushesha, Savage
..Camara.....Vickers.............NGW
.............Ehibhatiomhan

It's a complete change of the XI, but actually still quite strong. And you could pepper in more first teamers on the bench or the odd one into the start, like Azeez or Elliott on the right, Yiadom or Abbey into defence, without too much worry.

Depending on fitness etc.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Dec 2023 12:14

Think we’ll prob go near full strength in the trophy - definitely winnable tie up next and then a real chance of Wembley if we get through

Actually think he’d be mad not to, esp with league form improving

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Dec 2023 12:31

Got to manage those legs though. And always a good idea to keep your back up ready.

We can also put out a pretty experienced side from those not starting too, so experience less of a concern.

Against a L1 side, or a L2 side doing well, 100% with you though.

What's more important to you, I guess. Maximising chance of winning the trophy, or building up your squad to perform next season. Definitely the latter for me.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 24 Dec 2023 17:33

Takes an immense level of mental strength collectively from the players to get ourselves out of a situation where we looked increasingly dead and buried to in with a chance of staying up, despite majority of the recent developments being anything but positive.

More than happy to see what a future under Selles looks like if things to continue to improve given the mess he inherited.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 24 Dec 2023 18:50

Snowflake Royal Got to manage those legs though. And always a good idea to keep your back up ready.

We can also put out a pretty experienced side from those not starting too, so experience less of a concern.

What's more important to you, I guess. Maximising chance of winning the trophy, or building up your squad to perform next season. Definitely the latter for me.

But, don't you and other fans complain about "too much changing, we need a settled team"?

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 24 Dec 2023 19:08

The Royal Forester
Snowflake Royal Got to manage those legs though. And always a good idea to keep your back up ready.

But, don't you and other fans complain about "too much changing, we need a settled team"?

And throw in the ‘keeps playing players out of position’ but happy to put NGW in midfield.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Dec 2023 19:26

The Royal Forester

Cups are the opportunity to switch things up. Always have been. And use of your bench is quite important too.

You build a settled side, then give your fringe players a chance in cups and off the bench so they're ready to step in as seemlessly as possible should they need to.

You rest a player or two every now and then to keep them fresh.

That's completely different to just chopping and changing your first XI constantly in league games.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 24 Dec 2023 21:19

Snowflake Royal
The Royal Forester

Cups are the opportunity to switch things up. Always have been. And use of your bench is quite important too.

You build a settled side, then give your fringe players a chance in cups and off the bench so they're ready to step in as seemlessly as possible should they need to.

You rest a player or two every now and then to keep them fresh.

That's completely different to just chopping and changing your first XI constantly in league games.

It most certainly has not been ALWAYS. Maybe the last couple of decades, or so, that may be anywhere near true. Many fans complained when there were mass changes for the Cup/Trophy games (and then back again for the next League game as well). Many "advised" the Manager to stick with the non-league team!