MATCHWATCH : Peterborough United (a)

183 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Peterborough United (a)

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Dec 2023 17:21

Exactly my thought. Imagine spending half an hour thinking you were winning comfortably only to find out 10 minutes after the game ends that it was a draw and you were never 2, let alone 3 goals up.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 26 Dec 2023 17:24

BBC Berks playing the wrong interview with Selles. :lol:

And Ady still doesn't realise.
Last edited by Orion1871 on 26 Dec 2023 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 26 Dec 2023 17:25

Imagine that was the last game of the season, relegation/promotion at stake and other teams were checking your results and changing their play accordingly :lol:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Dec 2023 17:27

I reckon a Cambridge fan drew the short straw and was doing the BBC Cambridge updates today.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Dec 2023 17:27

Snowflake Royal How was Azeez's goal? What were the two we conceded like?

Caught Smith by luck just checking in now and then.

I missed both their goals, just got the replays. I think their second even RoyalsTV actually missed too.

Their first, after a period of pressure. I can't remember it enough to comment but it looked inevitable while we were defensively falling apart at the time.
Their second, just crap defending, they scored from the left. I think Mola wasn't great (?)

Azeez' goal, just brilliant. Pounced on the ball just inside the box and thumped it. Thoroughly deserved after a similar thump hit the woodwork earlier in the game from further out.

His assist for the first though, absolutely class.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Dec 2023 17:31

Posh fans on their forum reckon he was the best player on the pitch by an absolute country mile.

Also reckon that, despite them being profligate in front of goal, we were good value for the point.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Dec 2023 17:35

From Despair To Where? Posh fans on their forum reckon he was the best player on the pitch by an absolute country mile.

Also reckon that, despite them being profligate in front of goal, we were good value for the point.

He's well worth a punt for a promotion chasing side trying to capitalise on our off pitch situation. Isn't his contract also up in the summer?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Dec 2023 17:36

From Despair To Where? Exactly my thought. Imagine spending half an hour thinking you were winning comfortably only to find out 10 minutes after the game ends that it was a draw and you were never 2, let alone 3 goals up.

Reminds me of what I've read about the 1950 world cup.

Imagine being an arrogant Brazilian seeing newspapers declaring you've won the final as expected by literally everone in the country against utter underdogs, only to find out later Uruguay won. :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Dec 2023 17:56

WestYorksRoyal
From Despair To Where? Posh fans on their forum reckon he was the best player on the pitch by an absolute country mile.

He's well worth a punt for a promotion chasing side trying to capitalise on our off pitch situation. Isn't his contract also up in the summer?

Good luck to any clubs who want to buyone of our first team without there being a release fee clause they can trigger. They’ll have to get in touch with Dai long enough for him to sign something.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 26 Dec 2023 17:56

Millsy

I missed both their goals, just got the replays. I think their second even RoyalsTV actually missed too.

Their first, after a period of pressure. I can't remember it enough to comment but it looked inevitable while we were defensively falling apart at the time.
Their second, just crap defending, they scored from the left. I think Mola wasn't great (?)

Azeez' goal, just brilliant. Pounced on the ball just inside the box and thumped it. Thoroughly deserved after a similar thump hit the woodwork earlier in the game from further out.

Rewind a little for the second goal and it was a great headed win by Azeez out on the touch line. He then ran towards the area to receive the return pass which was not the best. He had little time or space to get the shot away but buried it in style. A very good goal indeed.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Dec 2023 17:57

Millsy

As you say great work from Azeez for both our goals.

Their second may have been poor from Mola but I'd give credit to the quick first time pass from the Boro no. 3. Mason Clarke slipped as he shot and maybe that deceived the keeper. Bit of a soft goal really

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Dec 2023 18:02

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal

Good luck to any clubs who want to buyone of our first team without there being a release fee clause they can trigger. They’ll have to get in touch with Dai long enough for him to sign something.

Even if we had a rational, involved owner, would it be wise to sell 1st team players? We need to survive and get a new owner in by the end of the season, who can hopefully try to tie them down to new deals. If one of two end up walking, it's probably a price worth paying compared to risking relegation.

Or put another way, the likes of Azeez and Abbey are worth more to us than anybody would realistically bid. You see it in the PL too, where Zaha and JWP stayed at Palace and Soton because they were worth more to their clubs than anything would bid.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Dec 2023 18:11

We’d still get compensation for Azeez though, right? Obvs not as much but it’d be something

We’ve seen all season he had something special about him, was just adding end product. And now he has that, happy days. Great assist and great goal. Credit to Selles for sticking with him

Fezza

by Fezza » 26 Dec 2023 18:26

Azeez certainly displaying Nick Blackman vibes at the moment.

Elliott awful today.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 26 Dec 2023 18:29

Azeez's goal was great - hooking a bouncing ball high into the net. His run for the first was good as well and he hit the bar. He is on brilliant form at the moment.

Their goals were a soft one from a corner and one that didn't look right from 100 yards away - maybe it beat Button too easily.

Peterborough were good. They bring the ball forward quickly and constantly got into good wide positions just inside the box. If they played a full-sized adult striker rather than a child-man without shinpads as #10 it wouldn't have been close.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 26 Dec 2023 18:36

Jack Celliers

Azeez's goal was great - hooking a bouncing ball high into the net. His run for the first was good as well and he hit the bar. He is on brilliant form at the moment.

Their goals were a soft one from a corner and one that didn't look right from 100 yards away - maybe it beat Button too easily.

Peterborough were good. They bring the ball forward quickly and constantly got into good wide positions just inside the box. If they played a full-sized adult striker rather than a child-man without shinpads as #10 it wouldn't have been close.

From the stands the second goal looked like a Button error

The first was poor defending against a set piece, “luckily” the team had a lot of set piece practice throughout the rest of the game

Fezza

by Fezza » 26 Dec 2023 18:38

Jack Celliers

Button was wrongfooted for the second, the defender (TH?) hadn't got quite far enough across, however the root of it was Elliott's flakiness in the midfield.

The first was a case of not having a man on the far post and Abbey not moving with his man (he and Wing then left it for each other).

We should have given away a penalty, I think from one view, when Mukairu went in from behind.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 26 Dec 2023 18:44

Fezza
Jack Celliers

Button was wrongfooted for the second, the defender (TH?) hadn't got quite far enough across, however the root of it was Elliott's flakiness in the midfield.

The first was a case of not having a man on the far post and Abbey not moving with his man (he and Wing then left it for each other).

We should have given away a penalty, I think from one view, when Mukairu went in from behind.

I thought it might be a Button error, but the ball had been given away too easily.

I had a good view for the first-half penalty shout - I wasn't at all worried.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Dec 2023 18:45

Watching the highlights, second goal for them, Mola and Holmes could have done better - neither getting close and Mola jogging back after initially losing the challenge

Our two goals - superb ball from Wing to Azeez, great take, run and cross and a smart finish

Second - decent from Mola, lovely assist from Knibbs and a cracking finish. Azeez shot against the crossbar also an excellent effort, good ball from Wing, fine turn and shot. Would have been better than the Wigan goal

Their offside goal looked very close from the angle shown. If he was offside, poor stuff from the striker, no need

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 26 Dec 2023 18:50

We would have taken a draw, we move on, Selles In.

183 posts