MATCHWATCH : Peterborough United (a)

183 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Peterborough United (a)

by Stranded » 27 Dec 2023 14:29

From Despair To Where? You seem to forget that Exeter had a big game against Wycombe and Cheltenham had a big game against Shrewsbury. Exeter also have to play Portsmouth and Cheltenham have to play Northampton.

True but the "bonus" that Cheltenham and Exeter have is their BD and Friday games are both at home whereas our motley crew will have had 2 on the day bus journeys back to back by the time we play at Cheltenham on Friday. Not an excuse by any means but would rather have back to back home games between Xmas & New Year than 2 away games in opposite directions.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Dec 2023 14:29

We don't have the strength in depth to field a weakened side. Doing so is asking to gift points away.

Cheltenham is less than a couple of hours away. Decent prep should negate the travelling.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Dec 2023 14:32

From Despair To Where? We don't have the strength in depth to field a weakened side. Doing so is asking to gift points away.

Very true but arguably we aren't quite at full strength with Yiadom out. We should be able to make the odd change and not weaken the side too much - Savage should be able to come in for Craig if needed, Elliott for Wing, Vickers for Knibbs - wouldn't want to make more than 1 or 2 changes though unless enforced as this side seem to be finding a stride.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Dec 2023 14:36

Craig, Wing and Knibbs are 3 key players and not ones I'd be looking to swap out unless absolutely necessary. Wing and Knibbs are 2 of our most experienced players.

Certainly Savage and Elliott have been inconsistent at best.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 27 Dec 2023 15:11

Well was fun. Posh were probably the best opposition I've seen this season ... and we matched them. Not saying we weren't under cosh for some extended spells but our attacks looked threatening, we were never completely done for, it was a proper game.

So, yeah, same three shone (Dorsett, Smith, Craig outstanding), formation appears to work ...

and Azeez? One assist, one goal, one shot from way out that left the bar rattling. Lovely run of form.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 27 Dec 2023 15:15

andrew1957
From Despair To Where? You seem to forget that Exeter had a big game against Wycombe and Cheltenham had a big game against Shrewsbury. Exeter also have to play Portsmouth and Cheltenham have to play Northampton.

Exactly - if our players had not played and were fresh they would have an even better chance of beating two tired sides.

You just don't get it do you

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 Dec 2023 15:52

:roll: How did Sir Steve ever do ‘THAT’ season with basically just the same* team each week?

*yes I know, the players play faster nowadayzzzzzz

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Dec 2023 16:21

AthleticoSpizz :roll: How did Sir Steve ever do ‘THAT’ season with basically just the same* team each week?

*yes I know, the players play faster nowadayzzzzzz

To be fair, he did play a weakened team against Stoke :wink: after we'd won the title

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Dec 2023 17:28

Snowflake Royal Ehibhatiomhan is more a striker who wants us to pass it around the box and put it in to his feet, which would work with Knibbs, Vickers and Elliott.

Smith more wants us to play quicker and direct, feeding him in the box from wide or getting in behind.

Azeez is much more about the latter than the former, imo.

Yeah Ehib seems to remind me a bit of Joao in how he plays but it doesn't seem to work with the players around him. Unfortunately, of the three mentioned, Knibbs is the most consistent player from a central position, that's where Vickers plays and Elliot just isn't a wide player, so we'd end up very narrow again unless our full backs provided the width, leaving us much more exposed at the back.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Dec 2023 23:10

Agree with all the Ehibhatiomhan comments - he's not a like for like Smith replacement and is unsuited to the role. The way we're currently playing would fall down without Smith.

Were Smith to get injured, I think 352 is the answer. Same midfield 3, Yiadom RWB and NGW LWB. Azeez would partner Ehibhatiomhan up front, run in behind, work the channels, stretch the game and give him more space between the lines to get involved in play, which would suit him more.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Dec 2023 00:18

Mentioned a few weeks ago how football can be a simple game at times and whilst Selles has a way to go yet, credit has to go to him for realising what he was doing wasn’t working and adjusting. Pushing Azeez from being one of the AM’s to an actual winger has worked well. Adds another dimension to his game as he has the ability to both go inside (Wigan goal, crossbar hit on Tuesday etc) or go to the byline (assist for Smith’s goal). Likewise Knibbs, the pair of them were both very predictable and ineffective in that 4-2-2-2 formation

It does show the impact of having a stable and balanced structure to the team where players know and understand their roles

Still think there’s a couple of gaps in the side where we still look so susceptible to conceding any time the ball comes into the box. Both of Peterborough’s goals were so simple. And I’d like to see more from Mukairu. There’s something in his game that I like the look of but it just rarely seems to translate onto the pitch

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 29 Dec 2023 20:27

Royal_jimmy
andrew1957

Exactly - if our players had not played and were fresh they would have an even better chance of beating two tired sides.

A clearly knackered RFC side being overwhelmed at Cheltenham. I did warn this would happen. The only hope is our subs can turn it round.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Dec 2023 20:37

2-2.

Andrew making himself look a total mug yet again.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Dec 2023 22:22

Mug, idiot? any excuse to put it out there Ian, and occasionally you may be right.

However

One question before I go, would you dare call your insults to anybody here face-to-face? Having met you once, I think you wouldn’t.

I (unlike you) am prepared to be wrong

You’ve had a bit of a ‘mare’ here lately my friend :lol:

Have a better New Year

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Dec 2023 22:45

You're weirdly obsessed with me Spizz. It's not healthy.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Dec 2023 23:15

No Ian, having to read you resorting to insulting numerous posters over the years (on virtually every thread feature ) has finally broke me.

It’s not like your opinion counts for anything, but seeing your name pop-up on ALL topics (with your words of wisdom) is like a magnet to some of us who do not hover on hna all day long, preying. For me, it’s kind’ve like an addiction to check out your latest hysterics and who you’ve rucked with today.

It really shouldn't, but after years of reading your bravado it is starting to rile me.

But there ya go, crack-on ‘big’ fellah, the keyboard is a wondrous thing for lonely folk like you, and safe in the knowledge that you are not really that obnoxious runt that you portray on here irl, we’ll call it quits

Cut-out the insults Ian, and have a happier new year.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Dec 2023 00:18

We drew both games. If we beat Exeter I think Andrew has been proved wrong.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 30 Dec 2023 01:48

Ian, Spizz - get a fcuking room FFS

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 30 Dec 2023 07:10

andrew1957
Royal_jimmy
andrew1957

A clearly knackered RFC side being overwhelmed at Cheltenham. I did warn this would happen. The only hope is our subs can turn it round.

For the first 44 minutes RFC were overwhelmed and did not get a kick. I see this as a point dropped as lose/win would have given us 3 points rather than 2. However, all credit to the players for turning it round in those last few minutes of the first half. Couple of great assists by Wing. A win against Exeter which should be possible and we are out of the relegation zone.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 30 Dec 2023 07:26

AthleticoSpizz Mug, idiot? any excuse to put it out there Ian, and occasionally you may be right.

However

One question before I go, would you dare call your insults to anybody here face-to-face? Having met you once, I think you wouldn’t.

I (unlike you) am prepared to be wrong

You’ve had a bit of a ‘mare’ here lately my friend :lol:

Have a better New Year

I used to find Ian a tad annoying. But now I visualise him sitting at the keyboard in his plastic pacamac getting very aroused by slagging people off. Now when I read his posts it just makes me smile. There is so much real suffering in this world that getting upset by people like Ian who want to pick a fight with everyone is just not worth worrying about. As you say if he met you/me face to face he would run a mile.

183 posts