MATCHWATCH : Peterborough United (a)

183 posts
Forty

Re: MATCHWATCH : Peterborough United (a)

by Forty » 27 Dec 2023 10:09

Royal Rother
From Despair To Where? I think Blackman, bar that spell, looked out of his depth whereas Kebe just looked bewildered by the intensity of English football. From once it clicked, he was a different player.

Azeez has largely looked bereft of confidence rather than shite and I've not seen too many comments criticising him for lack of effort. Again, whether it's the change of formation, I think things have just clicked for him. Much like Kebe, he's a key player.

Got to hand it to Blackman, he convinced Derby to pay £2m For him with 6 months left on his contract. Worked with a Derby fan at the time. I told him he was a donkey and he didn't believe me. He soon did, though

I remember it as £4m!?

It could have been 40 quid and it would still have been good business.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 27 Dec 2023 10:21

bcubed
blythspartan The one thing that stood out to me was kept in the game even when we were under the cosh. We always looked like we were capable of hitting them on the break and Azeez has well and truly proved me wrong.

We definitely need another experienced striker and as mentioned above Ehib isn’t going to improve with cameo appearances. I actually think there are signs of gradual improvement from Mola. It’s easy to forget how long it can take a player to get up to speed and I’ll always refer back to Convey’s first season playing for us.

Michael Craig will be attracting attention soon and with him and Wing in midfield and Holmes at CB we have a spine of a team to build around. I just hope we’re not forced into selling lots of our best players in January.

Not seen much this year but I know Mola is regularly criticised. As I said earlier I think you have to give credit to the Boro player who made a quick first time pass to their striker. Not sure Mola could have closed him down any quicker and no more than Holmes could have closed down their goal scorer.

Tbf, I think the Peterborough wingers are as good as I've seen this season, especially the guy they had on the left wing: pacy, direct, good close control. That's difficult to defend against.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 27 Dec 2023 10:22

bcubed
blythspartan The one thing that stood out to me was kept in the game even when we were under the cosh. We always looked like we were capable of hitting them on the break and Azeez has well and truly proved me wrong.

We definitely need another experienced striker and as mentioned above Ehib isn’t going to improve with cameo appearances. I actually think there are signs of gradual improvement from Mola. It’s easy to forget how long it can take a player to get up to speed and I’ll always refer back to Convey’s first season playing for us.

Michael Craig will be attracting attention soon and with him and Wing in midfield and Holmes at CB we have a spine of a team to build around. I just hope we’re not forced into selling lots of our best players in January.

Not seen much this year but I know Mola is regularly criticised. As I said earlier I think you have to give credit to the Boro player who made a quick first time pass to their striker. Not sure Mola could have closed him down any quicker and no more than Holmes could have closed down their goal scorer.

We all like to criticise players for every goal we concede but looking at the 2nd goal, whilst it looked soft live it was a good finish. I was more frustrated with the first goal.

Our first equaliser it could be said the Posh keeper should have done better being beaten from a tight angle.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 27 Dec 2023 10:40

andrew1957 If I were manager I would send a reserve team to this match and keep the players that played yesterday fresh for the Cheltenham and Exeter games which are both very winnable.

Can we all laugh at Andrew.

Thanks

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Dec 2023 11:02

Brogue
andrew1957 If I were manager I would send a reserve team to this match and keep the players that played yesterday fresh for the Cheltenham and Exeter games which are both very winnable.

Thanks

We already were.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Dec 2023 11:16

A tough gig for Kelvin E yesterday but it's hard to deny how much more of a threat we are with Smith up front compared to him. Azeez also looks like a completely different player to a couple of months ago, so full of confidence, credit to the manager for that. A game we should have lost on the balance of play and we've come away with a point, that's not usually the Reading way.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Dec 2023 11:23

Was it the first time we’ve scored after 80m in the league all season? Probably missing an obvious one. Think Bolton was 78m

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Dec 2023 11:41

I make that the 15th consecutive game that we have scored in, that’s some going.

Fezza

by Fezza » 27 Dec 2023 11:43

A final thought on yesterday.

Almost all of Posh's team looked like athletes, with the exception of Dorsett and Azeez ours looked a touch lightweight by comparison.

Does it make a difference? Is fitness why we fade in games in comparison to other teams? Is this just my perception?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 27 Dec 2023 12:26

Hound Was it the first time we’ve scored after 80m in the league all season? Probably missing an obvious one. Think Bolton was 78m

The first against Bolton was the 77th minute; the second goal was in the 86th. We scored our fifth against Carlisle in the 83rd. They were the only two before yesterday.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 27 Dec 2023 12:33

YorkshireRoyal99 A tough gig for Kelvin E yesterday but it's hard to deny how much more of a threat we are with Smith up front compared to him. Azeez also looks like a completely different player to a couple of months ago, so full of confidence, credit to the manager for that. A game we should have lost on the balance of play and we've come away with a point, that's not usually the Reading way.

Azeez and Smith have an understanding, that doesn’t seem to exist with Azeez and Ehibhatiomhan

Noticed it at Lincoln last week as they both talked to each other and egged each other on after each attack.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Dec 2023 12:37

Ehibhatiomhan is more a striker who wants us to pass it around the box and put it in to his feet, which would work with Knibbs, Vickers and Elliott.

Smith more wants us to play quicker and direct, feeding him in the box from wide or getting in behind.

Azeez is much more about the latter than the former, imo.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 27 Dec 2023 12:46

Uke
YorkshireRoyal99 A tough gig for Kelvin E yesterday but it's hard to deny how much more of a threat we are with Smith up front compared to him. Azeez also looks like a completely different player to a couple of months ago, so full of confidence, credit to the manager for that. A game we should have lost on the balance of play and we've come away with a point, that's not usually the Reading way.

Azeez and Smith have an understanding, that doesn’t seem to exist with Azeez and Ehibhatiomhan

Noticed it at Lincoln last week as they both talked to each other and egged each other on after each attack.

That could be a factor in why Azeez has improved a lot recently - he's on the same wavelength as Smith and not with Ehib. It's taken a bit of time for that relationship to flourish, but now it's going it's fantastic to watch. Of course, Smith also has a good understanding with Knibbs which also helps.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Dec 2023 12:51

Clyde1998
Uke

That could be a factor in why Azeez has improved a lot recently - he's on the same wavelength as Smith and not with Ehib. It's taken a bit of time for that relationship to flourish, but now it's going it's fantastic to watch. Of course, Smith also has a good understanding with Knibbs which also helps.

I don't think it takes a genius to see that the relationship those 3 have built/already had, is key to us scoring game in, game out at the moment - they have scored 11 of our last 14 league goals - since the Wycombe win.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 27 Dec 2023 12:52

Snowflake Royal Ehibhatiomhan is more a striker who wants us to pass it around the box and put it in to his feet, which would work with Knibbs, Vickers and Elliott.

Smith more wants us to play quicker and direct, feeding him in the box from wide or getting in behind.

I noticed Ehib pulling out wide a lot yesterday, almost as if he's trying to open up space for a strike partner, whereas Smith tends to stay central. I think they would complement each other if they were to play up top together, although we've got a settled system now so that experiment isn't going to happen any time soon.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Dec 2023 12:58

Clyde1998
Snowflake Royal Ehibhatiomhan is more a striker who wants us to pass it around the box and put it in to his feet, which would work with Knibbs, Vickers and Elliott.

I noticed Ehib pulling out wide a lot yesterday, almost as if he's trying to open up space for a strike partner, whereas Smith tends to stay central. I think they would complement each other if they were to play up top together, although we've got a settled system now so that experiment isn't going to happen any time soon.

Yeah, agreed.

You'd think it would be something to try off the bench if we're losing.

Pull of Mukairu for Ehibhatiomhan, push Knibbs wide and play two upfront.

And of course, more minutes for Kelv = better. We won’t hang on to Smith long if we don’t start competing at the right end of the table.

He didn’t leave Cambridge for us to keep fighting relegation.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Dec 2023 13:10

Yeah it’s all about relationships and understandings

Wing-Smith-Knibbs-Azeez have it, hence why we’re scoring plenty

Hopefully the back 5 and Craig are also building one

Bring in someone who hasn’t played for ages and they struggle - zero suprise

Final few thoughts - not enough credit to wing for that obscene pass on the first goal. Also Femi comes across like a nice lad on interview. Glad to see him doing well

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 27 Dec 2023 14:09

Brogue

Thanks

The priority is the games against the bottom half. A point against Peterborough is great but at the end of the day it will be wins against teams around us that will avoid relegation. Let’s hope the players can recover quickly for the next two far more important games ahead.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Dec 2023 14:21

You seem to forget that Exeter had a big game against Wycombe and Cheltenham had a big game against Shrewsbury. Exeter also have to play Portsmouth and Cheltenham have to play Northampton.

They're all big games because it's all about gaining or maintaining momentum and confidence as well as picking up points against the bottom clubs

If we'd played a weakened side and lost 3 or 4-0, people would be rightly asking questions of team selection.

This isn't the Premiership where we're playing teams who would beat us 99 times out of 100. There's no free hits, every game is important.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 27 Dec 2023 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 27 Dec 2023 14:25

From Despair To Where? You seem to forget that Exeter had a big game against Wycombe and Cheltenham had a big game against Shrewsbury. Exeter also have to play Portsmouth and Cheltenham have to play Northampton.

Exactly - if our players had not played and were fresh they would have an even better chance of beating two tired sides.

183 posts