MATCHWATCH : Cheltenham Town (a)

235 posts
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cheltenham Town (a)

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Dec 2023 21:56

savage 4 england Shows how far we have fallen that we can be happy/relieved at getting a point to a side in the relegation zone of League One. (Obviously acknowledging we are in the relegation zone as well).

Yeah but they've been in an upturn of form and their first half performance showed it, in the circumstances, I think a point was always going to be a good result.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Dec 2023 21:56

savage 4 england Shows how far we have fallen that we can be happy/relieved at getting a point to a side in the relegation zone of League One. (Obviously acknowledging we are in the relegation zone as well).

Cheltenham got 2 points from their first 11, changed their manager and have since got 18 from 12 coming into tonight, the vast majority of which have been at home. For the past couple of months, Cheltenham away has been a very tough assignment, and we've come away with a point. Barely deserved based upon that first half, but undoubtedly a good result. We have to follow it up with a win against Exeter though.

Needle

by Needle » 29 Dec 2023 21:56

So infuriating. We have players that can pass to each other and play out but since Smith's been back we're getting longer and longer.

No effort to retain the ball at all tonight.

One defeat in seven(?) says we're doing better but it doesn't feel like a sustainable plan.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Dec 2023 22:01

Needle This is our worst performance of the season.

Pathetic
you still ok with that Needle?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Dec 2023 22:05

It's good that against Lincoln, Peterborough and Cheltenham now we've seen out injury time to earn a point. We were losing these games in October. Different standard of performances over the 3 games; probably deserved to win at Lincoln and lose today. But ultimately, if you get to the 85th minute or so level, don't lose. And we haven't.

Performance today lost a lot to be desired, but the resilience is pleasing and that's ultimately more important in a relegation battle (yes, I know they missed a good chance to win it).

Needle

by Needle » 29 Dec 2023 22:06

AthleticoSpizz

Pathetic

That first half? Yes.

The goals don't count.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Dec 2023 22:07

Yep, there’s something there that wasn’t there.

All things considered, all pretty good at the moment

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Dec 2023 22:08

Needle
AthleticoSpizz

Pathetic

That first half? Yes.

The goals don't count.
that’s football mate :wink:

Our two goals did

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Dec 2023 22:10

Agreed but can't complain with a point after being battered first half.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 29 Dec 2023 22:21

Dorsett... Get him off throw ins.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Dec 2023 22:22

Royal_jimmy

When I see these "how we have fallen" comments, my thought is always "where the oxf*rd have you been?".

Yes, we have fallen. Big time. It's been shit for years, with 2023 merely piling on diarrhoea icing on a shit cake we built from 2017 - 2022. But, there is a chance that this season is the worst it gets if we stay up on the pitch and get new owners off it. We may not have shit sprinkles to go on top of a GBBO style showstopper shit cake in 2024. So celebrate a lucky point at Cheltenham, celebrate if we scrape past Exeter. Celebrate anything that may help us arrest the decline, as the reality is we may not have stopped falling yet.
Last edited by WestYorksRoyal on 29 Dec 2023 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

scumbag

by scumbag » 29 Dec 2023 22:25

WestYorksRoyal
Royal_jimmy

When I see these "how we have fallen" comments, my thought is always "where the oxf*rd have you been?".

Yes, we have fallen. Big time. It's been shit for worse, with 2023 merely piling on diarrhoea icing on a shit cake we built from 2017 - 2022. But, there is a chance that this season is the worst it gets if we stay up on the pitch and get new owners off it. We may not have shit sprinkles to go on top of a GBBO style showstopper shit cake. So celebrate a lucky point at Cheltenham, celebrate if we scrape past Exeter. Celebrate anything that may help us arrest the decline, as the reality is we may not have stopped falling yet.

Power post.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Dec 2023 22:28

Well, I am enjoying the slllloooowwww rebuild on the pitch at least.

Been around long enough to see us at our best and worst, it’s cyclic.

If you can’t hack-it, follow £££££Citeh or someone

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Dec 2023 22:44

scumbag
WestYorksRoyal
Royal_jimmy

Yes, we have fallen. Big time. It's been shit for worse, with 2023 merely piling on diarrhoea icing on a shit cake we built from 2017 - 2022. But, there is a chance that this season is the worst it gets if we stay up on the pitch and get new owners off it. We may not have shit sprinkles to go on top of a GBBO style showstopper shit cake. So celebrate a lucky point at Cheltenham, celebrate if we scrape past Exeter. Celebrate anything that may help us arrest the decline, as the reality is we may not have stopped falling yet.

Power post.

Yep.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 29 Dec 2023 22:51

Some sensitive souls tonight.

I wouldn’t say an expectation of not being happy with a point is a self entitled one. Instead, in my opinion, our squad is better than Cheltenham’s and we should have a mindset of wanting to win every game against teams in the bottom half. Think we need a change of mindset.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 29 Dec 2023 22:55

Well, that was shit. We move on...

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Dec 2023 22:58

My counterpoint to anyone saying we should have been winning tonight.

We've won once away all season, maybe we are a bigger club but we are where we are.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 29 Dec 2023 23:00

WestYorksRoyal
Royal_jimmy

Yes, we have fallen. Big time. It's been shit for years, with 2023 merely piling on diarrhoea icing on a shit cake we built from 2017 - 2022. But, there is a chance that this season is the worst it gets if we stay up on the pitch and get new owners off it. We may not have shit sprinkles to go on top of a GBBO style showstopper shit cake in 2024. So celebrate a lucky point at Cheltenham, celebrate if we scrape past Exeter. Celebrate anything that may help us arrest the decline, as the reality is we may not have stopped falling yet.

Thanks for catching me up in a paragraph.

Could we incur further points deductions? Absolutely.

Could we be relegated again and again? Yep.

Could we go out of business? Yep.

Am I thrilled at getting a point away tonight? Sorry no. Is it just about ok? Yes.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 29 Dec 2023 23:42

Skin Dorsett... Get him off throw ins.

Mbengue stepping a foot over the line taking a throw-in was comically atrocious. I’m just amazed the Lino gave it as a foul throw.

Street and Lloyd going off and being replaced by Keena and Butler-Oyedeji really killed Cheltenham’s press at the end. Neither have the same intensity and I think Cheltenham’s chances of snatching a win went off with them. Though even Butler-Oyedeji, who’s hardly played, nearly curled one in in injury time.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Dec 2023 00:13

scumbag
WestYorksRoyal
Royal_jimmy

Power post.

Yes it sucks we have to mix with teams like Cheltenham in the league but it is what it is. If we weren't a basket case club because of Dai Yongge we'd still be in the championship.

Getting relegated is never a good thing and to the small number of fans that thought relegation would be a blessing you know why I'm right. It can be a long road back and it will be for us as well. With a lot more pain to come.

235 posts