MATCHWATCH : Exeter City (h)

211 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Exeter City (h)

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Jan 2024 17:28

Sutekh Out of the bottom 4 on goal difference but will presumably be dropped back in on Saturday due to no game.

Reading are now 4 points behind Burton, Wigan and Cambridge (17th-19th) however Exeter also have a game in hand as well as a visit from Carlisle on Saturday.

Saturday's L1 fixtures are:

Burton Albion v Wycombe Wanderers
    Cheltenham Town v Portsmouth
    Exeter City v Carlisle United
    Fleetwood Town v Derby County
    Leyton Orient v Blackpool
    Port Vale v Charlton Athletic

Should be doable until the recent cr@p from Dai catches up with the club.

Even Shrewsbury in 13th are only 7 points above us having played a game more. The objective has to be to drag more teams in. It feels like most at the bottom are showing real fight. Cheltenham's form rivals ours, Carlisle won today and will be eyeing up Exeter next week as a winnable game. Fleetwood have appointed a new manager which can have an effect.

Any team in mid table who goes on a stinking run of form could well be caught.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 01 Jan 2024 17:54

WestYorksRoyal I think we've really missed Yiadom these last 3 games. Hope he doesn't make the final AFCON squad.

Yes, and another reason why we dont need so many foreign players.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 01 Jan 2024 18:00

karbota
WestYorksRoyal I think we've really missed Yiadom these last 3 games. Hope he doesn't make the final AFCON squad.

Did someone just fart?

scumbag

by scumbag » 01 Jan 2024 18:16

Royalwaster
karbota

Did someone just fart?

Please don't quote him, the rest of us have him muted.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jan 2024 18:27

WestYorksRoyal I see Exeter play Carlisle at home on 6th January so smart money is we're back in the drop zone by the time we next kick off.

Always likely unless Carlisle win esp as we don't play but the boost of being out of the bottom 4 when less than 2 months ago, we were bottom and 10pts adrift won't be knocked by that.

As mentioned elsewhere, we are just 7pts off 13th, if we can keep this form going then things on the pitch start to look OK.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jan 2024 18:31

Thought the game was fairly entertaining. Exeter had some good ideas and played quite well first half but they made so many unforced errors it was unreal. One of those days when you really feel the difference in quality to the champ

Thought their left hand side - Jules (goal aside) and the number 5 were particularly poor. Azeez had them on toast

Reminded me a bit of the Barnsley game, thought we were the better side generally; had lots of good positions but couldn’t convert some crosses and Knibbs and Wing’ shooting was horrific in good positions

Still massive so , another great goal from Femi. Performance average at best but 8 from 4 is excellent

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 01 Jan 2024 18:32

Great entertainment and a tremendous win, every Reading fan there today will go home very happy, all be it soaked through

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 01 Jan 2024 19:23

scumbag
Royalwaster
karbota

Did someone just fart?

+1

I'm not 100% sure he's not my dad. My father is a raging racist and I know he used ro visit this forum. Think he stropped off after the old board joke of replying to comments with "racist".

Anyway, Karbota can do one. Please don't quote them!

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 01 Jan 2024 19:46

Attendance 13,560

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jan 2024 19:51

Royals and Racers Attendance 13,560

Decent atmosphere today. Not loads of singing but pretty positive and felt quite busy. Good effort from Exeter as well

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Jan 2024 19:59

It was obviously just important to get the win today irrespective of how it came. We weren't fantastic but winning the game was the main thing, we couldn't really afford another draw. At least we have a good opportunity now to recharge the batteries but coming away with 4 games in quick succession unbeaten, regardless of the opposition, is a very good return.

I hope Selles is right and we can keep this squad together for at least the rest of the season.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 01 Jan 2024 20:15

skipper
scumbag
Royalwaster
Did someone just fart?

+1

Please don't quote them!

:?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Jan 2024 20:34

Agree with other posters that we were far from our best today but we snatched a win. I enjoyed the game though, thought it was a decent advert for league one.

Players have the next 2 days off and deserve it.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Jan 2024 23:17

Hound Thought the game was fairly entertaining. Exeter had some good ideas and played quite well first half but they made so many unforced errors it was unreal. One of those days when you really feel the difference in quality to the champ

Thought their left hand side - Jules (goal aside) and the number 5 were particularly poor. Azeez had them on toast

Reminded me a bit of the Barnsley game, thought we were the better side generally; had lots of good positions but couldn’t convert some crosses and Knibbs and Wing’ shooting was horrific in good positions

Still massive so , another great goal from Femi. Performance average at best but 8 from 4 is excellent

Agree with most of that. Thought Mukairu looked good off the bench, couple of really neat reverse passes/switches of play. No one really seems to be cementing that place out on the left, it’s a shame Ballard got injured as he looked quite sharp in his few appearances out there

Defence is still a big concern. Majorly reactive rather than proactive. Three or four times they ran off Mola/Dorsett in behind and they didn’t react in time. It’s the same with Abbey in that respect but more often or not, he is able to use his speed to bail himself out. We also don’t close their wide players down anywhere near enough, it’s alarming how often we concede from our flanks

yuomi

by yuomi » 02 Jan 2024 00:44

We've played better than today and still lost so this feels like progress. While a fortnight til the next league game might feel like a handy break we've been poor coming back from time off every other time so far this season, and we really need to keep this momentum up and get revenge on Port Vale when they come to visit.
Random thoughts:
- Haven't a clue what Mola's role was supposed to be today, and I'm pretty sure he didn't either.
- Like Knibbs, I think Vickers would do better in the middle, but I wouldn't be dropping Knibbs to accommodate him right now. Mukairu looking better off the bench and probably worth the starting spot for now.
- Defence is still our major issue. Yes, they get very little cover from the MF, but the marking, movement and execution of tackles is so sloppy it's unreal. I'm at the stage where opposition teams getting a corner almost feels like them getting a penalty.
- Do we know how long Abrefa's supposed to be out for?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Jan 2024 06:23

yuomi We've played better than today and still lost so this feels like progress. While a fortnight til the next league game might feel like a handy break we've been poor coming back from time off every other time so far this season, and we really need to keep this momentum up and get revenge on Port Vale when they come to visit.
Random thoughts:
- Haven't a clue what Mola's role was supposed to be today, and I'm pretty sure he didn't either.
- Like Knibbs, I think Vickers would do better in the middle, but I wouldn't be dropping Knibbs to accommodate him right now. Mukairu looking better off the bench and probably worth the starting spot for now.
- Defence is still our major issue. Yes, they get very little cover from the MF, but the marking, movement and execution of tackles is so sloppy it's unreal. I'm at the stage where opposition teams getting a corner almost feels like them getting a penalty.
- Do we know how long Abrefa's supposed to be out for?

I think having the Trophy game before Vale will help. I expect we will go strong in that game, so any rustiness should be dealt with.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 02 Jan 2024 07:58

I actually enjoyed the game, although it was fairly poor quality. I definitely think that in Azeez, Smith and Wing we have the quality to turn a loss into a draw or a draw into a win.

I never study the fixtures, but it feels like we have easier (on paper) home games to come and harder away games. I thought we were dead and buried at one time so 8 points from 12 is a fantastic return.

All things considered the home and away support this season has been incredible and despite all of the issues it’s been more fun than recent seasons.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 02 Jan 2024 08:08

URZZZZ
Hound Thought the game was fairly entertaining. Exeter had some good ideas and played quite well first half but they made so many unforced errors it was unreal. One of those days when you really feel the difference in quality to the champ

Agree with most of that. Thought Mukairu looked good off the bench, couple of really neat reverse passes/switches of play. No one really seems to be cementing that place out on the left, it’s a shame Ballard got injured as he looked quite sharp in his few appearances out there

Defence is still a big concern. Majorly reactive rather than proactive. Three or four times they ran off Mola/Dorsett in behind and they didn’t react in time. It’s the same with Abbey in that respect but more often or not, he is able to use his speed to bail himself out. We also don’t close their wide players down anywhere near enough, it’s alarming how often we concede from our flanks

RE: Ballard - I had a thought before the game about this - is Smith actually benefitting from being the undisputed #1 CF now?... Whereas before his injury, Ballard was in the mix given his status as a loanee?

I'm a big believer that what happens in an athlete's head is as important as their talent.

Not that anyone would ever admit it, but it seems to me Smith is now fully confident in his role and own skin

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 02 Jan 2024 08:16

What was with Exeter seemingly having a coach on the subs bench so that he could give instruction away from the technical area? I'd probably be alright with such chicanery if he had stayed by the corner flag, sub style, but he kept going in and out of our technical area, which seemed naughty

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 02 Jan 2024 08:18

Not spotted any complacency in Smith ... battling hard all game and looking for goals.

211 posts