MATCHWATCH : Exeter City (h)

211 posts
Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Exeter City (h)

by Mr Angry » 02 Jan 2024 08:36

This is the sort of game we would have lost a Month or so ago; the team definitely seems to have turned a corner - corresponding with Azeez's up-turn in form (he doesn't score tap ins, does he!) and some consistency in team selection.

If we can tighten up at defensive midfield/defence, and defend better at corners (how many goals have we conceded that have come either directly from a corner, or from the second ball after a corner that hasn't been cleared out?) we have the attacjing threat to make a major difference at this level.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Jan 2024 08:39

URZZZZ
Hound Thought the game was fairly entertaining. Exeter had some good ideas and played quite well first half but they made so many unforced errors it was unreal. One of those days when you really feel the difference in quality to the champ

Thought their left hand side - Jules (goal aside) and the number 5 were particularly poor. Azeez had them on toast

Reminded me a bit of the Barnsley game, thought we were the better side generally; had lots of good positions but couldn’t convert some crosses and Knibbs and Wing’ shooting was horrific in good positions

Still massive so , another great goal from Femi. Performance average at best but 8 from 4 is excellent

Agree with most of that. Thought Mukairu looked good off the bench, couple of really neat reverse passes/switches of play. No one really seems to be cementing that place out on the left, it’s a shame Ballard got injured as he looked quite sharp in his few appearances out there

Defence is still a big concern. Majorly reactive rather than proactive. Three or four times they ran off Mola/Dorsett in behind and they didn’t react in time. It’s the same with Abbey in that respect but more often or not, he is able to use his speed to bail himself out. We also don’t close their wide players down anywhere near enough, it’s alarming how often we concede from our flanks

Yeah we seem to be very poor at defending wide areas and crosses for a number of years now. We have spent most of our time in the bottom half of the Championship, but really ever since the initial points deductions is where I really think we've struggled. We seem to almost invite crosses into our box believing that our defenders are capable of dealing with it, but a lot of the time they haven't.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2024 09:16

I thought we were a bit better than I’ve seen us at other times against crosses, but yes still too many dangerous ones allowed in

I thought Dorsett had a generally decent game and kept that winger on a fairly tight leash. Mola did ok, esp coming forward but isn’t a long term option there

Abbey had a good game defensively, just his distribution sucked. Not sure it’s entirely his fault, seemed to be instructed to keep hitting it long, when Knibbs, Craig and Wing were often in space shorter

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Jan 2024 09:38

Just caught my attention that Wing has 8 assists to his name in 24 games this season. From his position, a good record to have.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Jan 2024 09:39

YorkshireRoyal99 Just caught my attention that Wing has 8 assists to his name in 24 games this season. From his position, a good record to have.

Midfielders assist goals. It is hardly a shock that he has 8 assists is it?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jan 2024 09:48

Didn't think it was too bad yesterday, enjoyable enough game and a good win after being pegged back twice.

Azeez continues to impress. I am so glad that we stuck with him, there was always a player there, just needed a bit of a spark.

Do think the criticism of Abbey is a bit harsh, I think we all need to take a breath and remember that he is only 20, playing in his first season of mens football. Ok, his passing is a bit wayward, but that will improve as will his decision making. Also seen similar criticism of Bindon, he's 18 ffs. Defenders aren't the finished product that early in their careers, what they're showing right now is great promise - they're going to make a couple of mistakes though, that's just the nature of being thrown in the deep end so early on.

Thought Mola had a much better second half, would still much prefer Yiadom there though.

All others played pretty well.

Also, fair play to Selles, we have improved as a team over the last couple of months, there is no doubt about it. Feel like they are starting to turn a corner. For people to say that is despite him, is total bollocks. You can't say the bad performances are because of him and the good performances he has no involvement in, sometimes you have to give credit where credit is due.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Jan 2024 10:00

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99 Just caught my attention that Wing has 8 assists to his name in 24 games this season. From his position, a good record to have.

I didn't say it was a shock, I said it was a good record to have and I didn't think he would have had the most for us this season if I didn't look prior.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Jan 2024 10:05

YorkshireRoyal99
NathStPaul

I didn't say it was a shock, I said it was a good record to have and I didn't think he would have had the most for us this season if I didn't look prior.

He had a slow start to the season but has grown in to it. I think everyone thought Savage would be the standout midfield performer this season but Wing has taken the lead and is arguably first name on the team sheet. Didn't see it coming tbh, I wasn't entirely sure what his purpose was in the first few weeks of the season.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jan 2024 10:05

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
NathStPaul Midfielders assist goals. It is hardly a shock that he has 8 assists is it?

He had a slow start to the season but has grown in to it. I think everyone thought Savage would be the standout midfield performer this season but Wing has taken the lead and is arguably first name on the team sheet. Didn't see it coming tbh, I wasn't entirely sure what his purpose was in the first few weeks of the season.

Don't think he was fully fit to start the season, which didn't help matters.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 02 Jan 2024 10:08

URZZZZ
Hound Thought the game was fairly entertaining. Exeter had some good ideas and played quite well first half but they made so many unforced errors it was unreal. One of those days when you really feel the difference in quality to the champ

Thought their left hand side - Jules (goal aside) and the number 5 were particularly poor. Azeez had them on toast

Reminded me a bit of the Barnsley game, thought we were the better side generally; had lots of good positions but couldn’t convert some crosses and Knibbs and Wing’ shooting was horrific in good positions

Still massive so , another great goal from Femi. Performance average at best but 8 from 4 is excellent

Agree with most of that. Thought Mukairu looked good off the bench, couple of really neat reverse passes/switches of play. No one really seems to be cementing that place out on the left, it’s a shame Ballard got injured as he looked quite sharp in his few appearances out there

Defence is still a big concern. Majorly reactive rather than proactive. Three or four times they ran off Mola/Dorsett in behind and they didn’t react in time. It’s the same with Abbey in that respect but more often or not, he is able to use his speed to bail himself out. We also don’t close their wide players down anywhere near enough, it’s alarming how often we concede from our flanks

On the left hand side Ballard, Mukaiu, Elliot, Vickers, none of them have really contributed much when starting. I would be tempted to put Knibbs out there and bring in Savage or Elliot for the current Knibbs role. May lose something from Knibbs but would make the team more balanced and threatening from both sides

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Jan 2024 10:23

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
NathStPaul Midfielders assist goals. It is hardly a shock that he has 8 assists is it?

Yeah as mentioned below I think his injury didn't help, it seemed to take him a bit to get up to speed. Along with a lot of the other players, probably helps now his role in the team is more defined and the team in general seems far more settled.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2024 12:25

NathStPaul

Yes, assuming those figures are accurate.

The top assister in L1 has 8. Getting to double figures in a season isn't that common.

For the record in the league he has 5, Azeez has 6, which makes him joint 5th best in the league.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 02 Jan 2024 13:57

We’ve got heaps of big games coming up, but also a real chance to pull away from the drop zone.

I think it’s too early to say a corner has been turned personally. The same problems still remain. It is at least looking better though, and the players have given themselves a real chance to stay up. I hope it’s not undone by administration.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 02 Jan 2024 15:43

TiagoIlori We’ve got heaps of big games coming up, but also a real chance to pull away from the drop zone.

I think it’s too early to say a corner has been turned personally. The same problems still remain. It is at least looking better though, and the players have given themselves a real chance to stay up. I hope it’s not undone by administration.

I'd say it has. one defeat in 9 games is 20% of the season, that's a long consistent run.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Jan 2024 15:46

Mid Sussex Royal
TiagoIlori We’ve got heaps of big games coming up, but also a real chance to pull away from the drop zone.

I'd say it has. one defeat in 9 games is 20% of the season, that's a long consistent run.

As I posted elsewhere, over a 12 game run, so half our season (bar 1 game) we are 11th in the form table, so if we keep that up then baring more points deductions, we will stay up and hopefully get a new owner to allow the club to move on from this shitshow.

The first game of that run was the Pompey home defeat, so if we can avoid defeat v Vale, then we will likely move higher up that long term form table (if not the actual table).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2024 15:51

Next target is to get up with that little group above us - Burton, Wycombe, Cambridge up to Shrewsbury

All limited teams - think if we can get into that group we’ll start pulling clear quite quickly

As always imo it’s about keeping Knibbs, Smith, Wing and Azeez fit. Everyone else replaceable easily enough

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Jan 2024 16:01

Hound Next target is to get up with that little group above us - Burton, Wycombe, Cambridge up to Shrewsbury

All limited teams - think if we can get into that group we’ll start pulling clear quite quickly

As always imo it’s about keeping Knibbs, Smith, Wing and Azeez fit. Everyone else replaceable easily enough

Think it helps that Burton play Wycombe on Saturday (and Exeter playing Carlisle helps too) - we then follow up with games against Vale and Wigan who are both in the cluster above us.

It really is quite mad that on the 11th November we were 10 points adrift of safety but we are now 9pts away from Lincoln who are 11th and 11 points off the top 10.

Am not saying we'll get anywhere near than over the next 21 games but the fact that is even possible, shows what a turnaround there is.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 02 Jan 2024 17:17

Stranded
Hound Next target is to get up with that little group above us - Burton, Wycombe, Cambridge up to Shrewsbury

Think it helps that Burton play Wycombe on Saturday (and Exeter playing Carlisle helps too) - we then follow up with games against Vale and Wigan who are both in the cluster above us.

It really is quite mad that on the 11th November we were 10 points adrift of safety but we are now 9pts away from Lincoln who are 11th and 11 points off the top 10.

Am not saying we'll get anywhere near than over the next 21 games but the fact that is even possible, shows what a turnaround there is.

Since we lost at Shrewsbury, we're the most improved side in the division (in terms of points per game before and after) and seventh overall (points per game) in that time - only sides in the current top nine have done better.

Aside from Cheltenham, all the sides around us have got a worse ppg record since 11 Nov when compared to before it.

In our last nine, we've got 1.78 points per game (82 points over a 46-game season). I can't see us maintaining that until the end of the season, but anything like 1.4ppg would see us survive.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 02 Jan 2024 17:50

Mid Sussex Royal

With only one clean sheet and 13 goals conceded. We’ve had to score 17 just to draw which is the equivalent 87 goals over a full league season.

In addition, we’ve won 4 in 9, to put that into perspective, remember we went on a run where we won 6 in 9 games last season. We were absolutely dreadful outside of it which is why 9 games isn’t enough. Keep this up for another 6/7 games then I may start agreeing that a corner has been turned.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 Jan 2024 18:56

TiagoIlori
Mid Sussex Royal

With only one clean sheet and 13 goals conceded. We’ve had to score 17 just to draw which is the equivalent 87 goals over a full league season.

In addition, we’ve won 4 in 9, to put that into perspective, remember we went on a run where we won 6 in 9 games last season. We were absolutely dreadful outside of it which is why 9 games isn’t enough. Keep this up for another 6/7 games then I may start agreeing that a corner has been turned.

Only one win away as well. Piss poor.

211 posts