MATCHWATCH : Exeter City (h)

211 posts
Vision
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Exeter City (h)

by Vision » 03 Jan 2024 17:12

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal That was assuming new ownership.

Without new ownership its just a fight to survive and I'd have no faith in Selles achieving that with half our squad gone and limited recruitment.

Although without new ownership I still don’t think we start next season at all.

Even with new ownership, no guarantee many of those stay esp. the better performers - it should make life easier in attracting the better free agents/loans next summer granted but still hard to tell what the squad looks like.

Out of interest, what would Selles need to do for you to go, you know what - fair play to the bloke he's turned this round? If we go on to finish in the top 10?

Stop doing stupid things. Get us playing better football, improve away form, sustain improved results til the end of the season. Start next seawon well

Been burned far too many times to give any leeway after his start, previous poor record and lack of relevant experience

Tbf most of our false dawns have been managers starting ok and then turning to shit.

Perhaps he's bucking the trend by starting abysmally then gradually improving ;-)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2024 17:17

Vision
Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Even with new ownership, no guarantee many of those stay esp. the better performers - it should make life easier in attracting the better free agents/loans next summer granted but still hard to tell what the squad looks like.

Out of interest, what would Selles need to do for you to go, you know what - fair play to the bloke he's turned this round? If we go on to finish in the top 10?

Stop doing stupid things. Get us playing better football, improve away form, sustain improved results til the end of the season. Start next seawon well

Been burned far too many times to give any leeway after his start, previous poor record and lack of relevant experience

Tbf most of our false dawns have been managers starting ok and then turning to shit.

Perhaps he's bucking the trend by starting abysmally then gradually improving ;-)

Well, you can all enjoy me stuffing my face with pie if we still have a club and he does.

I'm very burnt by coming round to Paunovic just in time for him to then become utter shite.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 Jan 2024 19:13

Snowflake Royal
Vision
Snowflake Royal Stop doing stupid things. Get us playing better football, improve away form, sustain improved results til the end of the season. Start next seawon well

Well, you can all enjoy me stuffing my face with pie if we still have a club and he does.

I'm very burnt by coming round to Paunovic just in time for him to then become utter shite.

He actually had a lot of bad luck at the end.

We had the six point deduction and at Christmas lost ground as had to cancel games over the busy fixture schedule due to a covid outbreak.

There was then some racist issue in the club which from what I understand involved Ejaria, with Moore sticking up for him which basically resulted in him being relieved of the captaincy and neither playing for the club again regularly.

We also regularly had at least 12 players out, several key. They started coming back when Pauno left.

The racist thing I only heard from a fan at Cheltenham who seemed ITK but i accept could be rubbish.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Jan 2024 19:39

It was Jahmari Clarke

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2024 20:03

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal
Vision

We had the six point deduction and at Christmas lost ground as had to cancel games over the busy fixture schedule due to a covid outbreak.

There was then some racist issue in the club which from what I understand involved Ejaria, with Moore sticking up for him which basically resulted in him being relieved of the captaincy and neither playing for the club again regularly.

We also regularly had at least 12 players out, several key. They started coming back when Pauno left.

The racist thing I only heard from a fan at Cheltenham who seemed ITK but i accept could be rubbish.

Injuries were a massive issue under Pauno. Some of the sides we put out were shocking - had Yiadom and Laurent as CBs, Bristow LB, Tetek RB iirc in one game

He lost the plot, almost more in his first season when we completely shat the bed to not finish top 7, than his second which was clearly far more difficult

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2024 23:09

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal
Vision

How did you miss Spizz talking about it regularly at the time?

Actually, I may know the answer to that on second thoughts.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Jan 2024 00:01

Hound
Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal Well, you can all enjoy me stuffing my face with pie if we still have a club and he does.

Injuries were a massive issue under Pauno. Some of the sides we put out were shocking - had Yiadom and Laurent as CBs, Bristow LB, Tetek RB iirc in one game

He lost the plot, almost more in his first season when we completely shat the bed to not finish top 7, than his second which was clearly far more difficult

Given the context and magnitude of the games, that double header against Cardiff and Luton in his first season is up there with two of the most insipid, abysmal performances I’ve seen. Never seen a team with so much to play for look so disinterested and he did very little to change it. A couple of posters called it but contrary to popular belief, he really shouldn’t have been afforded that second season

Wouldn’t really excuse his second season either tbf. Yes, he was dealt a bad hand but to just blindly stick with the 4-2-3-1 with Puscas up top more often that not was poor

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Jan 2024 00:17

Linden Jones' Tash
URZZZZ
Hound Thought the game was fairly entertaining. Exeter had some good ideas and played quite well first half but they made so many unforced errors it was unreal. One of those days when you really feel the difference in quality to the champ

Thought their left hand side - Jules (goal aside) and the number 5 were particularly poor. Azeez had them on toast

Reminded me a bit of the Barnsley game, thought we were the better side generally; had lots of good positions but couldn’t convert some crosses and Knibbs and Wing’ shooting was horrific in good positions

Still massive so , another great goal from Femi. Performance average at best but 8 from 4 is excellent

Agree with most of that. Thought Mukairu looked good off the bench, couple of really neat reverse passes/switches of play. No one really seems to be cementing that place out on the left, it’s a shame Ballard got injured as he looked quite sharp in his few appearances out there

Defence is still a big concern. Majorly reactive rather than proactive. Three or four times they ran off Mola/Dorsett in behind and they didn’t react in time. It’s the same with Abbey in that respect but more often or not, he is able to use his speed to bail himself out. We also don’t close their wide players down anywhere near enough, it’s alarming how often we concede from our flanks

I'm a big believer that what happens in an athlete's head is as important as their talent.

I agree with that. Mentioned it before but the psychological impacts on footballers is huge

It’s where the best footballers stand out. Confident in their own ability. But not over confident. Footballers that are mentally shot (Southwood springs to mind here) or those that are excessively arrogant are of very little use

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 04 Jan 2024 18:19

Selles and Reading in big trouble with the EFL for Selles being on the line for the Exeter match when he was suspended.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Jan 2024 18:32

Royals and Racers Selles and Reading in big trouble with the EFL for Selles being on the line for the Exeter match when he was suspended.

Could this club be any more stupid?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jan 2024 18:59

SouthDownsRoyal
Royals and Racers Selles and Reading in big trouble with the EFL for Selles being on the line for the Exeter match when he was suspended.

Great management.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 04 Jan 2024 19:00

Points deduction incoming.

I’d like to say I am surprised, but I’m not.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jan 2024 19:14

blythspartan

Points deduction incoming.

I’d like to say I am surprised, but I’m not.

Said elsewhere but he was not involved v Wigan, so really struggling to see why he would be banned v Exeter unless there was an admin error.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jan 2024 19:15

Ah my bad, he wasn't banned v Wigan. So yeah major cock up. Will likely just be a fine or further ban.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Jan 2024 19:49

Snowflake Royal
SouthDownsRoyal

Great management.

Brilliant management

If you’re banned, stay away until the ban ends. How hard is it?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2024 19:51

Prob just a further ban tbh. Sounds a genuine mistake

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 04 Jan 2024 21:32

Could Exeter insist on the game being replayed?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jan 2024 21:47

Mid Sussex Royal Could Exeter insist on the game being replayed?

They could but no precedent for that in these circumstances.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Jan 2024 22:05

Hound Prob just a further ban tbh. Sounds a genuine mistake

Maybe genuine but it surely isn’t difficult to find out which games the ban covers and to follow that ban

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 04 Jan 2024 22:41

https://twitter.com/james_e1871/status/ ... ZloPg&s=19

As I understand it, Ruben Selles has three yellows and therefore should not have been on the touchline on Monday.

Thought it related to his recent red card and not for the reason above.

Wonder how a ban from an accumulation of cards is communicated and if the person the FA usually deals with has been let go or was out of the office over Christmas?

211 posts