211 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Exeter City (h)

by Sutekh » 30 Dec 2023 08:31

When : Monday 1 January 2024, 3pm
Where : SCL Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Biggest game of the season time. The visit of Exeter City probably should be seen as a must win game as any sort of Reading win will lift the club out of the bottom 4 at the expense of their visitors and though both clubs would then have the same number of points, Reading's superior goal difference would be enough to give Reading a lift for a week or so (before probably being dumped back in due to no game next weekend). Any Reading win would be further enhanced if Wycombe fail to beat Bristol Rovers at home and Wigan lose at Barnsley.

Exeter started the season in really good form, winning 5 of their first 8 games and dumping Luton out of the League Cup. Form that took them to the top of the table. Then they had a bad experience in the Bristol Street Motors Trophy that saw their reserves get slaughtered 9-0 at home and since then their league form has been quite Readingesque with 1 win and 3 draws in 15 attempts. As we all know though, teams on these sorts of runs have a tendency to find Charity FC waiting for them when turning up at the SCL.

The Grecians are also struggling to score goals having managed just 14 so far in the league. Top scorer is midfielder Ryan Trevitt while defenders Zac Jules and Pierce Sweeney will be right up for it being former stars of Reading's academy. Defensively Exeter have conceded 33 which is the 5th worst in the league, though 6 goals better off than Reading who have conceded more league goals than anyone (along with Fleetwood), but the Grecians are on a run of 2 successive clean sheets.

Expecting to see minimal "fiddling" from the management with WiFi in for Smith to be the most likely change from the Cheltenham game.

After the end of one of the worst (if not the worst) year for Reading FC in the club's history one hopes 2024 will bring some semblance of normality back to the club, both on and especially off the field as soon as possible.

Referee

Anthony Backhouse

Previously

19 Aug 23 > Reading 1-0 Stevenage

Historically

Of the 41 previous home league games against Exeter, Reading have won on 31 occasions and lost just 4 so this theoretically should be as nailed on a home win as it is posdible to get. However this will be the first game against Exeter at the Mad Stad/SCL so all things are technically currently even. The last home game was almost 30 years ago - a 1-0 Reading win back in January 1994.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Exeter City (h)

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2023 12:09

According to whoscored, which can be iffy on formations, Exeter play quite a narrow 3-4-3.

So I fear getting overrun in midfield. But, it should also mean Azeez can do some damage out wide.

Right back is a bit of an issue for us. Wish Abrefa was around.

There are no must win games this early in the season, but its certainly important not to lose. This game is the difference between safety by GD, being within 3 points of safety, or falling away to being 6 points adrift.

So I'd bulk up midfield.

.......................Button
Bindon, Holmes, Abbey, Dorsett
........................Craig
..Azeez.....Wing....Savage...Knibbs
........................Smith

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2023 13:25

Yeah it’s not must win but we really should be going all out to win it. Won’t get a better opportunity to win a game - at home, on decent form, everyone fit pretty much - no excuses

I think we’ll do enough to win the game. I’m sure he’ll pick same team is as Cheltenham other than maybe Binden for Mbengue. Be nice to see TMc back on the bench

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Dec 2023 13:36

Snowflake Royal According to whoscored, which can be iffy on formations, Exeter play quite a narrow 3-4-3.

So I fear getting overrun in midfield. But, it should also mean Azeez can do some damage out wide.

There are no must win games this early in the season, but its certainly important not to lose. This game is the difference between safety by GD, being within 3 points of safety, or falling away to being 6 points adrift.

So I'd bulk up midfield.

I disagree, I don't think we should bulk up the midfield in response to them, I'd let them worry about us. We are better player-for-player and are on a better run of form really in general as well.

A lot of our selection can depend on fitness levels, but generally I wouldn't change too much, maybe not even Mbengue. Mbengue is just inconsistent, poor last night but good against Wigan. He's not our starting full back by any means, but not sure Bindon is the answer either. Mukairu I wouldn't change unless enforced either, got his first league goal last night and seems to be improving a bit in general performances as well.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2023 13:42

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal According to whoscored, which can be iffy on formations, Exeter play quite a narrow 3-4-3.

So I'd bulk up midfield.

I disagree, I don't think we should bulk up the midfield in response to them, I'd let them worry about us. We are better player-for-player and are on a better run of form really in general as well.

A lot of our selection can depend on fitness levels, but generally I wouldn't change too much, maybe not even Mbengue. Mbengue is just inconsistent, poor last night but good against Wigan. He's not our starting full back by any means, but not sure Bindon is the answer either. Mukairu I wouldn't change unless enforced either, got his first league goal last night and seems to be improving a bit in general performances as well.

I'm shocked you disagree with me.

I'd rather not see a repeat of the first 40 against Cheltenham, thanks. And they still get to worry about us in the form of our wide men, who should have lots of space to exploit still.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Dec 2023 13:45

So would I, like everyone, in respect to Cheltenham, I just don't think going away from what we have been doing recently against a team with 1 win in 15 (despite a "slightly better" set of results recently) is the way to go.

As I say, have them worry about us, we are at home and should be a bigger threat to them than what they are to us. It seems like all of our front 4 are getting to the point where they are capable of scoring after Mukairu got one last night, Knibbs has been amongst the goals in all comps this season, Azeez has finally found form and Smith we know we can rely on.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 30 Dec 2023 14:33

YorkshireRoyal99 So would I, like everyone, in respect to Cheltenham, I just don't think going away from what we have been doing recently against a team with 1 win in 15 (despite a "slightly better" set of results recently) is the way to go.

As I say, have them worry about us, we are at home and should be a bigger threat to them than what they are to us. It seems like all of our front 4 are getting to the point where they are capable of scoring after Mukairu got one last night, Knibbs has been amongst the goals in all comps this season, Azeez has finally found form and Smith we know we can rely on.

I agree. Unless they have some particular threat we need to counter, changing our style to a less familiar one would be an odd way of doing things.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2023 14:44

A threat like being overrun and outnumbered in midfield, you mean?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Dec 2023 15:00

Snowflake Royal A threat like being overrun and outnumbered in midfield, you mean?

The point is, our threat is greater than what theirs is, hence they should worry about us, not necessarily the other way around. Be aware of what they can do, but this is a game we should be expecting to dominate.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 31 Dec 2023 13:10

No excuses tomorrow. Need to win games like this if we want to avoid relegation. Lose or draw and pessimism will return

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Dec 2023 13:30

There are no must win games at halfway. Important not to lose is all.

Royal Monkey

by Royal Monkey » 31 Dec 2023 16:15

Is this available to watch on Royalstv app ? 3pm kick offs aren’t normally in UK are they ??

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 31 Dec 2023 16:19

Royal Monkey Is this available to watch on Royalstv app ? 3pm kick offs aren’t normally in UK are they ??

It is available according to the club website - I'm guessing because it's not a Saturday.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 31 Dec 2023 16:37

Looking at their website, it appears they've sold 1,167 tickets for this one (with tickets available on the day). Will be their highest away following so far this season.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 31 Dec 2023 16:56

Snowflake Royal A threat like being overrun and outnumbered in midfield, you mean?

Are Exeter more likely to overrun and outnumber our midfield than any other team we play?

Royal Monkey

by Royal Monkey » 31 Dec 2023 17:19

Clyde1998
Royal Monkey Is this available to watch on Royalstv app ? 3pm kick offs aren’t normally in UK are they ??

It is available according to the club website - I'm guessing because it's not a Saturday.

Oh right cool thanks

Royal Monkey

by Royal Monkey » 31 Dec 2023 17:26

So I'd bulk up midfield.

You were absolutely seething at Bindon playing right back when he had that run there a month or two back and saying Selles is totally clueless for playing him there cos he was getting absolutely rinsed in that position lol !

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Dec 2023 18:31

tmesis

Are Exeter more likely to overrun and outnumber our midfield than any other team we play?

Looking at their formation, yes. Hence my post and the reasoning for it, in it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jan 2024 14:10

Mbengue out for Mola
Holmes out for Bindon
Mukairu out for Vickers

Holmes not even on the bench. He was imperious last time out.

Oh dear. Let's hope shit Exeter turn up

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Jan 2024 14:14

Wonder if Holmes picked up an injury or something against Cheltenham. Either that or he's off to Stoke.

211 posts