That Mbengue own goal

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

That Mbengue own goal

by Greatwesternline » 30 Dec 2023 08:36

Feel like this needs it's own thread so we can discuss it in all it's glory.

https://twitter.com/EdRyding/status/1740831312192168343?t=0-uYmyP1-_ny3EC9kYpcLQ&s=19

I think for some reason he thinks absent mindedly that we have already conceded for whatever reason and is kicking the ball in frustration.

I can't quite put my finger on why but I get this feeling he doesn't think the ball is still in play.

He has his hands out while doing it as if he's appealing for something from the moment the ball arrives at his feet and rather than react by saying wtf have I just done he immediately turns to the ref to complain about something.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: That Mbengue own goal

by windermereROYAL » 30 Dec 2023 08:46

Button wasn`t it? Mbengue blasted it off him.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 30 Dec 2023 08:48

windermereROYAL Button wasn`t it? Mbengue blasted it off him.

Its got Buttons name on it, but in a court of law Mbengue would be the one sweating

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 30 Dec 2023 08:53

Mbengue has been pretty awful most of the time this season, so just caps it off.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 30 Dec 2023 09:09

Greatwesternline Feel like this needs it's own thread so we can discuss it in all it's glory.

https://twitter.com/EdRyding/status/1740831312192168343?t=0-uYmyP1-_ny3EC9kYpcLQ&s=19

I think for some reason he thinks absent mindedly that we have already conceded for whatever reason and is kicking the ball in frustration.

I can't quite put my finger on why but I get this feeling he doesn't think the ball is still in play.

He has his hands out while doing it as if he's appealing for something from the moment the ball arrives at his feet and rather than react by saying wtf have I just done he immediately turns to the ref to complain about something.

I didn't see it as absent minded, more frustrated, maybe? live, I was expecting either a foul on their striker or offside, i.e. for the ref to do something before Mbengue made it easy for him.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 30 Dec 2023 09:29

Greatwesternline Feel like this needs it's own thread so we can discuss it in all it's glory.

Oh god :shock:

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 30 Dec 2023 09:38

Agreed. He clearly thinks it is out of play. He needs a rest. Get Bindon starting there or Yiadom back, and that probably wouldn't have happened.

Unbelievable really, watching thay back in isolation. I imagine there will be some strong words in the dressing room / training.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Dec 2023 10:09

Very reminiscent of Rougier and Hunter in the 2001 play off final.

Gobsheik

by Gobsheik » 30 Dec 2023 10:48

[*I think Mbengue is always absent minded. He seems to like wearing a 'nappy' around his backside most of the time!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Dec 2023 10:49

All he has to do is turn 90 degrees and smack the ball away, but no, much better to stand there like a lemon and then deliberately kick the ball at the goalkeeper's ankles.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 Dec 2023 10:54

These football calamities/ funnies have been happening for years and will continue to in the future, hence there are TV outtakes.

I still painfully remember the Mark White own goal, along with Nyland’s howler against Luton.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 30 Dec 2023 10:59

Agree with this, the body language is like a player who the ball has bounced to off the back of the net after the opposition has scored. For whatever reason, he doesn't think the ball is still in play. Would be interested to know why

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Dec 2023 11:26

Does he not just try and clear it in a blind panic and it comes off Button? Poor clearance and comical own goal in a situation that should never happen.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2023 11:58

I've long thought he was bad at fullback and should be playing CB. At the moment he just shouldn't be playing though.

We really need back up to Yiadom to play RB, in the form of an actual RB, rather than a litany of CBs and Mola to fail there.

Although Bindon would actually have a chance now we're playing a real formation.

It's a hilarious og.

Could we stop signing players who appear to be brainless.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 30 Dec 2023 12:51

The Cheltenham number 8 takes a tumble just before the goal and looks like Mbengue was the one tracking back with him.
Reckon he heard calls for a pen and though it had been given.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 30 Dec 2023 13:54

He has all the raw attributes to be a good player but his whole manner is so chaotic and he’s a liability in our back line. Constantly playing attacking players onside when the rest of the defence has pushed up, and incidents like yesterday mean he should most certainly have a rest.

themwasthedays

by themwasthedays » 30 Dec 2023 13:57

Seen some bizarre own goals in my 58 years supporting Reading but, that takes the biscuit (a men)!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Dec 2023 15:20

Not played in central defence much so forgive the question. I take every opportunity to learn from professional footballers, but judging by the comments am I right in thinking when you have the ball a yard in front of the goal line with no danger around you it's not the right thing to whack it against your own keeper? :?:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Dec 2023 15:29

And now seriously, yes of course ridiculous but let's not turn this into some sort of witchhunt on the poor fella where we question everything about him.

He's in the midst of a goal scramble, the ball comes out to him and the way he's facing he can't see who's behind him so he has to hit it away asap. He's trying to kick it out but unfortunately it clips Button's heel and bounces in. How many times have we failed to clear our lines this season and how many times have we moaned at defenders to just kick the damned thing out. He had no idea who was behind him and had to just hit it as we've been crying out for all season. It happens. The real fault is the defensive frailty and general crap play of the whole team that lead to that scramble in the first place.

When strikers make ridiculous shots and miss sitters it's not an issue but understandbly when keepers and defenders slip up they're the devil. I know it comes with the territory, but still it's a bit unfair. Remember Button has made howlers but is overall decent. Lumley was ridiculous when he joined but came good overall.

He's generally solid too tbf. Unlike Abbey who is good at defending but who's ability to aim a ball anywhere accurately with a brain is actually genuinely worse than my 5 year old's.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 30 Dec 2023 15:31

Millsy … am I right in thinking when you have the ball a yard in front of the goal line with no danger around you it's not the right thing to whack it against your own keeper? :?:

I agree