MATCHWATCH : Brighton & Hove Albion U21 (a)

159 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Brighton & Hove Albion U21 (a)

by Sutekh » 07 Jan 2024 15:13

When: Tuesday January 9 2024, 7pm
Where: American Express Stadium, Station Approach, off A27, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 9PU
Capacity: 31,876

Big game time. This, I think, is the round that produces a set of winners that will start realistically thinking of a day out at Wembley and while Reading thankfully wouldn't be favourites if the club won through (that epithet would probably go to the likes of Bolton, Derby or Peterborough if they progress) it would be something positive and attainable even given the utter mess the imbecile owner has been causing this last couple of years.

The Seagulls academy has progressed thus far by finishing as runners up (after 2 draws and a win) in their qualifying group and then beating the franchise 4-0 away in the last round. Difficult to know who will play and who won't but for anyone out there who has some knowledge of Brighton's academy the team fielded in that win at the franchise was; Tom McGill; Ben Jackson, Casper Nilsson, Ruairi McConville, Jacob Slater; Jack Hinchy, Samy Chouchane, Jamie Mullins; Joshua Duffus, Brody Peart, Louis Flower

Reading will, I hope, field a fairly strong starting XI, given the long break between the Exeter and Port Vale games and the various other game commitments this coming week for the Academy, so they can hopefully maintain some sort of positive feeling on the playing side and strengthen the understanding of various on field partnerships.

It's the usual (for this competition) 90 minutes followed by penalties if still level at full time.

For reference the other ties in this round (16 teams remaining across both the north and south sections) are:

Accrington Stanley v Bolton
Blackpool v Burton
Derby v Bradford
Doncaster v Wigan
Peterborough v Crawley
Wimbledon v Oxford
Wycombe v West Ham U21

Referee

Will Finnie

Previously

26 Aug 23 > Exeter City 2-1 Reading

Historically

Obviously never played matches with Brighton's U21s before but the playing record against Brighton, as a whole, is extensive with 98 previous games played stretching all the way back to 1920. There have been 6 cup games and 92 league excursions against each other with a total of 50 games being played in Brighton (46 league, 4 cup).

The record across all competitions in Brighton is 13 wins 16 draws and 21 defeats so probably about what you'd expect away from home for a club like Reading. Biggest defeat was by 8-3 at the Goldstone back in April 1957 while the bigest win was by 4-1 back in October 1946, also at the Goldstone. Credit out to anyone who was at either, or both, of those games.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Brighton & Hove Albion U21 (a)

by Clyde1998 » 07 Jan 2024 23:37

We're yet to play Brighton in the U21 league this season, but we've got an identical record so far - played ten; won five; drawn two; lost three. They lost 6-3 at Arsenal U21s a couple of weeks before we beat them 5-2 in this competition.

Assuming Brighton don't put any first team players into the squad on Tuesday, we should be winning this one - even without playing our strongest XI.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Jan 2024 08:40

Clyde1998 We're yet to play Brighton in the U21 league this season, but we've got an identical record so far - played ten; won five; drawn two; lost three. They lost 6-3 at Arsenal U21s a couple of weeks before we beat them 5-2 in this competition.

Assuming Brighton don't put any first team players into the squad on Tuesday, we should be winning this one - even without playing our strongest XI.

They could put a couple of first team players in but naturally only if they are u21.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jan 2024 10:21

For the record the rules governing the "Academy" team selections are essentially:

- Academy teams must start at least six players aged 21 or under as at 30 June 2023
- Those teams can only include two players over the age of 21 who have made 40 or more senior appearances prior to 23/24

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jan 2024 13:14

Don’t think BHA will be that bothered - best learning for their team is not to fill the side with first teamers

For us, it’s a big game. Win this and you’d be getting a decent crowd in for the QF at home, and obvs Wembley not that far away

Strongest team I think

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Jan 2024 13:23

Brighton have their winter break so I expect they'll give game time to a couple of first teamers like Arsenal did. If we play a similar side that played v Exeter and perform we should be too strong for them. Can't say I blame Brighton for keeping the tie at home and not switching it given how bad our away record is.

Still can't believe we're so shit that we have to play their academy. That's one of the biggest lows I've felt being a Reading fan. I'll feel as embarrassed as I was at Eastleigh, Shrewsbury and losing at home to Fleetwood if we lose this.
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 08 Jan 2024 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jan 2024 13:25

BHA first team squad prob heading off for some warm weather training

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 08 Jan 2024 13:32

QF’s are still regionalised North and South. If we win tomorrow we will meet one of the other 3 South winners which could be a home or away match.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Jan 2024 13:46

Royals and Racers QF’s are still regionalised North and South. If we win tomorrow we will meet one of the other 3 South winners which could be a home or away match.

I reckon if we get through it will be either Peterborough, Oxford or West Ham U21. Bloody hope we avoid Peterborough

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Jan 2024 13:48

Royal_jimmy
Royals and Racers QF’s are still regionalised North and South. If we win tomorrow we will meet one of the other 3 South winners which could be a home or away match.

I reckon if we get through it will be either Peterborough, Oxford or West Ham U21. Bloody hope we avoid Peterborough

Wouldn't put it past Wycombe getting past West Ham U21s - they'd probably be just as confident as we are getting past Brighton U21s.

Agree though that avoiding Posh would be ideal, should we get through.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2024 15:14

I'd probably sprinkle in a few changes here and there.

......................Pereira
Mbengue, Bindon, Abbey, NGW
...........Rushesha, Savage
Azeez......Elliott/Vickers....Mukairu
.............Ehibhatiomahan

Probably not all of them, but at least three of those changes. Probs not both Knibbs and Smith out.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Jan 2024 15:23

I'd go a semi strength team. Rest our fab 4 of Wing, Smith, Azeez and Knibbs, but otherwise full strength. Plus a useful run out for McIntyre if available.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jan 2024 16:33

Would swap the keeper, bring back Yiadom if poss, get McIntyre on the bench. Prob play Savage over Craig. Holmes in. start Kelv but otherwise same as last game .

Obvs depends on any fitness issues etc. Think Elliott is away isn’t he? Otherwise are we actually full strength?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 09 Jan 2024 10:30

So we appear to have sold 450 for this; Brighton are up to 375 - so it's 825 in total at this stage. It's digital tickets, so anyone who decides to go at short notice is easily able to get a ticket.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 09 Jan 2024 10:39

I'd probably go with (players in brackets are replacements if not fit/are used in the starting XI):

CBC (Pereira)
Yiadom (Mola) - Bindon - Abbey - Dorsett
Mbengue - Savage
Azeez - Vickers - Mukairu
Ehib

Subs: Button (Pereira); Holmes (Dean); Mola (Rushesha); Craig; Wing; Knibbs; Smith

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 09 Jan 2024 11:50

Did Knibbs pick up an injury in training and is now going to be out for a while? I am sure I saw it on Twitter yesterday. Unless I dreamt it of course.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 09 Jan 2024 11:57

blythspartan Did Knibbs pick up an injury in training and is now going to be out for a while? I am sure I saw it on Twitter yesterday. Unless I dreamt it of course.

Had a quick look and there only appears to be a single mention of it on Twitter. It's possible it's true though; I highly doubt he'd be involved if there's any injury risk tonight.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Jan 2024 13:33

Clyde1998
blythspartan Did Knibbs pick up an injury in training and is now going to be out for a while? I am sure I saw it on Twitter yesterday. Unless I dreamt it of course.

Had a quick look and there only appears to be a single mention of it on Twitter. It's possible it's true though; I highly doubt he'd be involved if there's any injury risk tonight.

Was looking at its track record, and the account's last ITK rumour was that the club was exploring how to terminate Ejaria’s contract. So fair play.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 09 Jan 2024 14:01

WestYorksRoyal
Clyde1998

Was looking at its track record, and the account's last ITK rumour was that the club was exploring how to terminate Ejaria’s contract. So fair play.

Cheers both for confirming.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Jan 2024 14:48

blythspartan
WestYorksRoyal
Clyde1998 Had a quick look and there only appears to be a single mention of it on Twitter. It's possible it's true though; I highly doubt he'd be involved if there's any injury risk tonight.

Cheers both for confirming.

Can't afford to lose the Knibbler.

159 posts