256 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Port Vale (h)

by Sutekh » 10 Jan 2024 09:54

When : Saturday 13 January 2024, 3pm
Where : SCL Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

And now the club have to raise themselves from the immense sadness of a cup exit, after a nondescript performance at Brighton, and try once again to climb out of the bottom four.

Mid table Port Vale started the season with five wins and a draw from their first seven league games and went from a 7-0 opening day defeat at Barnsley to winning 2-1 at Oxford in the space of a month. However that form went south very quickly and since beating Northampton 1-0 at Vale Park in early September the Valiants have been struggling badly with only 3 wins in 18 games, 2 of which were v Exeter and Wigan. Form over the last 5 is 5 points from 15 and their last away game was a 2-1 defeat at Carlisle.

Midfielder Ben Garrity (8 goals) and forward Ethan Chislett (6 goals) provide the biggest goal threats. However Reading have scored more league goals (34) overall compared to Port Vale (28) and Vale have a concede record almost as bad as Reading (38 v 41) so this game should be one of the more winnable games that Reading get this season. At home Reading are 12th in the home table while Port Vale are 12th in the away league table but have only scored 11 goals (only 5 teams have scored fewer) while Reading have the 7th highest home goals scored record (21) in the division.

After 2 weeks off it's tricky to know who is injured currently. However there is a rumour that Knibbs is crocked with a knee injury and on top of it all there's bound to be more squad "rotation" from the manager.

For the record Exeter are currently back in 20th place, 3 points above 21st placed Reading, and face a trip to Blackpool on Saturday. However a win for Reading and defeat for Exeter reverses the positions once again and puts more pressure on the likes of Cambridge, Wigan, Burton and Wycombe should they also fail to win.

Referee

Ross Joyce

Previously

Nothing

Historically

This is the 31st season Port Vale and Reading have shared and to date both sides have recorded 24 league wins. At home Reading have managed 16 wins while Vale have recorded just 7 and have lost all games so far played in RG2 without even scoring.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Port Vale (h)

by NathStPaul » 10 Jan 2024 09:59

See nothing other than a comfortable home win.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 Jan 2024 10:09

They may be higher in the table, but think this is an easier game than Cheltenham and Exeter. Meandering through the season after a good start. I think one side currently in "safe" mid table will go down and they are definitely a candidate.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Jan 2024 10:24

WestYorksRoyal They may be higher in the table, but think this is an easier game than Cheltenham and Exeter. Meandering through the season after a good start. I think one side currently in "safe" mid table will go down and they are definitely a candidate.

Considering they had a strong start and were near the top of the league at one point, they have been gradually creeping down to where people probably expected them to be. Same can be said for Lincoln

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 10 Jan 2024 10:38

NathStPaul See nothing other than a comfortable home win.

I agree, but keeping fingers crossed.

nailseabiscuitman

by nailseabiscuitman » 10 Jan 2024 10:58

Will be interested to see how Ben Garrity plays against us. Have supported Warrington Town since moving here 10 years ago and Ben is just the sort of player we should have been looking at, was obviously destined for a league career. I sent an email recommending we looked at a left winger in this league, never got a reply.Some diamonds in non league, just waiting to be found.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Jan 2024 11:09

Vale had 29 shots on goal last week against Charlton, not saying that`s the norm but they must have a bit about them up top. hopefully have Tom Holmes and maybe Mac in contention, both on the bench last night.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 10 Jan 2024 11:13

windermereROYAL Vale had 29 shots on goal last week against Charlton, not saying that`s the norm but they must have a bit about them up top. hopefully have Tom Holmes and maybe Mac in contention, both on the bench last night.

Disagree.

Dulwich Royal

by Dulwich Royal » 10 Jan 2024 12:16

Garrity is seemingly injured and they have just brought Jensen Weir in on loan from Brighton

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2024 14:51

So, do Holmes and/or McIntyre (OMFG almost typed Moore!) walk straight back into the team?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Jan 2024 15:00

Snowflake Royal So, do Holmes and/or McIntyre (OMFG almost typed Moore!) walk straight back into the team?

Think Holmes, 100% - would imagine TMc will be another few weeks. Dorsett has been fine at LB and Holmes and Abbey seemed to work well together.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Jan 2024 15:00

Snowflake Royal So, do Holmes and/or McIntyre (OMFG almost typed Moore!) walk straight back into the team?

I think when all the defence are fit, Holmes and Abbey have cemented themselves as the first choice pairing.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 Jan 2024 15:03

McIntyre fit basically provides cover for Dorsett, Craig, Holmes and Abbey all at once which is great news. So bench at first. Would think Hutchinson is light years away from the team now, and rightly so. Hasn't played since his Shrewsbury which coincidentally is when we started improving.

Also think McIntyre's range of passing is the best of our defensive players, may help limit aimless long ball.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2024 16:34

Hendo

Think Holmes, 100% - would imagine TMc will be another few weeks. Dorsett has been fine at LB and Holmes and Abbey seemed to work well together.

That's where my head is at too.

I know I hated Bindon at RB, but that was when we had not other width and he was supposed to rampage. As a more defensive minded poaition, I'd consider him over Mbengue who just keeps getting caught out or selling himself. Yiadom obviously preferred choice

Wish I knew what happened to Abrefa.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2024 16:39

WestYorksRoyal McIntyre fit basically provides cover for Dorsett, Craig, Holmes and Abbey all at once which is great news. So bench at first. Would think Hutchinson is light years away from the team now, and rightly so. Hasn't played since his Shrewsbury which coincidentally is when we started improving.

Also think McIntyre's range of passing is the best of our defensive players, may help limit aimless long ball.

Hutch certainly took one for the team there, pretty much forcing some change in approach, which seems to have worked. And he's suffered for it.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 10 Jan 2024 19:28

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal McIntyre fit basically provides cover for Dorsett, Craig, Holmes and Abbey all at once which is great news. So bench at first. Would think Hutchinson is light years away from the team now, and rightly so. Hasn't played since his Shrewsbury which coincidentally is when we started improving.

Hutch certainly took one for the team there, pretty much forcing some change in approach, which seems to have worked. And he's suffered for it.

True; I would say Craig has been a lot better than Hutch was though.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 10 Jan 2024 21:41

NathStPaul See nothing other than a comfortable home win.

I hope you are right, but there's not exactly a lot to pick between most of the teams in this division, and it wouldn't take much of a dip in performances to be struggling again. We still let in too many goals, meaning we almost always need to score at least two to win.

And Port Vale are just the kind of dreary totally uninspiring club to come down and get a 3-0 win from nowhere.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2024 08:50

Clyde1998
Snowflake Royal

Yep. Bright future.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2024 09:00

Clyde1998
Snowflake Royal

Craig has definitely had more good games than not, the system and team around him seems to suit him as well. What stands out most is his positioning, he seems to be quite intelligent that way.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2024 09:16

I think TMcs role is just to cover at the moment. Holmes and Abbey make sense as first choice cbs. Hopefully Yiadom back Saturday. Dorsett fine at LB (and quicker than Tom), and Craig doing well in CDM

I’d happily have him come in and cover any of those other than RB

Think we’ll win this, and again it’s one we need to really.

256 posts