Confrimed - Abbey and Holmes going

548 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Confrimed - Abbey and Holmes going

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Jan 2024 16:17

Royal_jimmy
NathStPaul
Royal_jimmy Apparently £300k in the end. Not bothered at all I don't really rate Holmes. Abbey I'll be upset if he goes

How upset? Compare it to something.

When we Gylfi

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Jan 2024 17:32

Pepe the Horseman Given the majority of fans would've just shrugged if he was sold in the summer, this is a bit of result. Cash now, but got him till the end of the season. Would love to know how much we got, with 18 months on his contract I think it could be more than we think. Maybe closer to £500k, which is still a bargain in today's market for a 23 year old with 100 C'ship appearances.

Comfrimed by James Earnshaw to be £400k-£500k

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jan 2024 17:37

Pepe the Horseman
Royal_jimmy Apparently £300k in the end. Not bothered at all I don't really rate Holmes. Abbey I'll be upset if he goes

Where are you getting that number?

Earnshaw says 400-500k

With the loan back as well I’d say that’s actually an ok price tbh.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 17 Jan 2024 17:42

Stranded
Clyde1998
Hound When was Holmes ooc? Was it next summer

Tbh not really an issue in this deal but suspect we’ll get very little out of it. Anything above 150k would be ok I think. As said it’s Abbey I’m far more bothered about

It was 2025, so next summer.

So he likely would have been sold in the summer anyway if he wasn't going to extend, or we couldn't. If the money is OK, it may end up being a fairly decent deal as we get to keep him now. Be interesting if Luton are now covering some or all of his wages now.

I can't imagine we're paying more wages to him now. At the very worst, I'd imagine we're still paying him the same level of wages as he was on.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jan 2024 17:53

Holmes is currently our best CB so important we've got the loan back.

Do think it was time he got a fresh start at a better run club, so good luck to him for the future.

Has the potential to be a very good Champ CB with the right coaching, set up and players around him. Maybe more.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Jan 2024 18:55

Hound
Pepe the Horseman

Where are you getting that number?

Earnshaw says 400-500k

With the loan back as well I’d say that’s actually an ok price tbh.

Especially if Luton are paying his wages for the remainder of the season too. Anything to get our outgoings down.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Jan 2024 19:01

Heartbreaking......These w*nkers are selling off any future we have of moving on. Abbey sale has angered me more because not only is he a future captain but the potential is there and a big money move...

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Jan 2024 19:05

Ascotexgunner Heartbreaking......These w*nkers are selling off any future we have of moving on. Abbey sale has angered me more because not only is he a future captain but the potential is there and a big money move...

He hasn`t gone yet, rumour being he`s rejected the move. ooc in the summer anyway.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Jan 2024 19:18

windermereROYAL
Ascotexgunner Heartbreaking......These w*nkers are selling off any future we have of moving on. Abbey sale has angered me more because not only is he a future captain but the potential is there and a big money move...

He hasn`t gone yet, rumour being he`s rejected the move. ooc in the summer anyway.

If he rejects it I'll love him forever and his name goes on the back of my shirt.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jan 2024 19:33

Have an extra year option on him apparently

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jan 2024 19:34

Wonder who negotiated the sale and fee if it was above Bowen’s head

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 17 Jan 2024 19:40

Hound Wonder who negotiated the sale and fee if it was above Bowen’s head

kia

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Jan 2024 19:50

Ascotexgunner
windermereROYAL

If he rejects it I'll love him forever and his name goes on the back of my shirt.

I'll raise you a tattoo

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Jan 2024 19:54

Brogue
Hound Wonder who negotiated the sale and fee if it was above Bowen’s head

kia

Fee probably but I wonder if Bowen got involved to get the loan back once he found out.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Jan 2024 08:50

Hound Anything above 150k would be ok I think.

:lol: Jesus Christ you people have low expectations. It isn’t 2003 any more!

Even £500k is a steal in the modern market. We obviously have a shit negotiating position but look at the fees for Dion Sanderson or Liam Kitching to get an idea of what the going rate for a 24 year old centre back with 100 Championship appearances is.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Jan 2024 09:09

SCIAG

Even £500k is a steal in the modern market. We obviously have a shit negotiating position but look at the fees for Dion Sanderson or Liam Kitching to get an idea of what the going rate for a 24 year old centre back with 100 Championship appearances is.

It is a good fee for the player, however given our situation we will be getting low-balled on every offer and Holmes only had 18 months to run on a contract where his wages weren't that great either (rumoured to be £3k a week, works out at roughly £234,000 over 18 months). I think we've done well to get that £500k considering the fees a lot of L1 players go at.

Charlton were rumoured to be paying £500k for Clarke-Harris at Peterborough, who has a very good goalscoring record at this level, for example.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jan 2024 09:47

YorkshireRoyal99
SCIAG

It is a good fee for the player, however given our situation we will be getting low-balled on every offer and Holmes only had 18 months to run on a contract where his wages weren't that great either (rumoured to be £3k a week, works out at roughly £234,000 over 18 months). I think we've done well to get that £500k considering the fees a lot of L1 players go at.

Charlton were rumoured to be paying £500k for Clarke-Harris at Peterborough, who has a very good goalscoring record at this level, for example.

Yeah those 2 mentioned might be considerably better than Holmes as well

I mean he’s been quite good for us and still has potential to get better but he’s hardly been a standout has he?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Jan 2024 10:07

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99
SCIAG :lol: Jesus Christ you people have low expectations. It isn’t 2003 any more!

Yeah those 2 mentioned might be considerably better than Holmes as well

I mean he’s been quite good for us and still has potential to get better but he’s hardly been a standout has he?

No I don't think so either. I don't think he was specifically the problem with our defence, a lot of issues with that, but as you say he never really stood out amongst the rest either. I've always had him down as a mid-lower end Championship defender, with the potential to get better, which I hope he does because he's a good lad and never done wrong for us.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 18 Jan 2024 10:22

It’s probably tinged with sentimentality that I love seeing Tom Holmes and Tom McIntyre in our team, local lads who were fans before they played for us and how much it must mean to them to play for us, living the dream for us supporters and what that represents.

It hurts me more than losing someone with no personal attachment to the club. I know there is not meant to be any room for sentiment in the modern game, but it’s still hurts.

The fee, if £30,000, £300,000 or £1m that these crooks are trying to get their hands on, is less important to me. As for Nelson going too, a player who should be our captain for the next ten years, I fully understand how this would be the added fuel on the fire on Saturday.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 18 Jan 2024 10:30

I'd rather be a average Championship team with a high proportion of local lads and academy graduates than a Premier League outfit full of mercenaries with no attatchment to the club or the fans. So losing the likes of Holmes, Abbey hurts me more than someone like Savage.

Don't forget, when playing in an empty stadium during COVID, one of the cardboard cut-out fans was Tom Holmes, that he bought himself. That's the kind od attachment to the club he has, and that's the kind of attachment I want from our lads.

548 posts