548 posts
Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Confrimed - Abbey and Holmes going

by Brogue » 18 Jan 2024 10:32

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound
YorkshireRoyal99
It is a good fee for the player, however given our situation we will be getting low-balled on every offer and Holmes only had 18 months to run on a contract where his wages weren't that great either (rumoured to be £3k a week, works out at roughly £234,000 over 18 months). I think we've done well to get that £500k considering the fees a lot of L1 players go at.

Charlton were rumoured to be paying £500k for Clarke-Harris at Peterborough, who has a very good goalscoring record at this level, for example.

Yeah those 2 mentioned might be considerably better than Holmes as well

I mean he’s been quite good for us and still has potential to get better but he’s hardly been a standout has he?

No I don't think so either. I don't think he was specifically the problem with our defence, a lot of issues with that, but as you say he never really stood out amongst the rest either. I've always had him down as a mid-lower end Championship defender, with the potential to get better, which I hope he does because he's a good lad and never done wrong for us.

I would save your breath, SCIAG believes Tom Holmes is better than Jake Cooper and Rob Dickie :| he has weird views towards our academy products. Saying things like letting Teddy Howe go was a massive mistake, and how he was going to be a regular championship defender. checks where he is now? weymouth :|
Last edited by Brogue on 18 Jan 2024 10:37, edited 2 times in total.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Jan 2024 10:33

Brogue
YorkshireRoyal99
Hound
Yeah those 2 mentioned might be considerably better than Holmes as well

I mean he’s been quite good for us and still has potential to get better but he’s hardly been a standout has he?

No I don't think so either. I don't think he was specifically the problem with our defence, a lot of issues with that, but as you say he never really stood out amongst the rest either. I've always had him down as a mid-lower end Championship defender, with the potential to get better, which I hope he does because he's a good lad and never done wrong for us.

I would save your breath, SCIAG believes Tom Holmes is better than Jake Cooper :| he has weird views towards our academy products. Saying things like letting Teddy Howe go was a massive mistake, and how he was going to be a regular championship defender. checks where he is now? weymouth :|

Yeah SCIAG has a history of being wrong.

Tinpot Royal

by Tinpot Royal » 18 Jan 2024 11:31

If we have got £400k for him upfront & Luton are paying his wages for the rest of the season then this is a pretty good deal

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Jan 2024 11:48

Brogue
I would save your breath, SCIAG believes Tom Holmes is better than Jake Cooper and Rob Dickie :| he has weird views towards our academy products. Saying things like letting Teddy Howe go was a massive mistake, and how he was going to be a regular championship defender. checks where he is now? weymouth :|

It’s always a good sign when you’re fabricating things I’ve allegedly said. Still mad that I made fun of you for throwing a tantrum when we finished a lowly 7th in the Championship?

For the record, what I actually said was:
- letting Howe go simply because his dad was CEO was bizarre and premature
- Holmes is better than Cooper was at the same age (I’d say this is vindicated by a Premier League club coming in for Holmes while Cooper is stuck at Millwall)
- you have no idea how good Rob Dickie was at 21

I’ve never said that Howe would be a Championship player, or that Holmes is better than Dickie. Ffs I’m the guy who calls Dickie the Basingstoke Beckenbauer, while I’m comparing Tom Holmes to Liam Kitching :lol: That’s like accusing Paul of preferring Sims to Antonio.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 18 Jan 2024 11:51

SCIAG
Brogue

It’s always a good sign when you’re fabricating things I’ve allegedly said. Still mad that I made fun of you for throwing a tantrum when we finished a lowly 7th in the Championship?

- Holmes is better than Cooper was at the same age (I’d say this is vindicated by a Premier League club coming in for Holmes while Cooper is stuck at Millwall)

I’ve never said that Howe would be a Championship player, or that Holmes is better than Dickie. Ffs I’m the guy who calls Dickie the Basingstoke Beckenbauer, while I’m comparing Tom Holmes to Liam Kitching :lol: That’s like accusing Paul of preferring Sims to Antonio.

RattLOLed

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Jan 2024 11:54

:lol:

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 18 Jan 2024 11:58

SCIAG
Brogue

SCIAG
WoodleyRoyal
The Royal Forester For him, it is a good move which will help him in the future. For us, a bad move, I feel that in a few years (or less) we will view him as someone who we wished we had kept.

he's 21 will nearly be 22 by the start of next season and still nowhere near displacing first-team players. he's played what? 1 game? :| How long are we supposed to keep youngsters for, for goodness sake? it's an Acadamy not a prison. Would he be displacing Yiadom in two years time? doubtful, in fact I would even hang my hat on it and say no. It's quite strange this weird obsession our fans have with our academy products that we never want them to leave.

This isn't a mistake we will not live to regret this. It's a good move for both him and the club and anyone else who thinks differently is just a bit weird

The absolute state of this post :|

The highlight is finding a really convoluted way to suggest a player who has just turned 21 is nearly 22.

Would you like to hazard a guess what sort of age our young players tend to establish themselves in the first team?

We’re going to lose Yiadom for at least a month next season (and let’s face it, he hasn’t exactly demanded selection even when fit this season). We have a young full back here who already looks comfortable at this level. Should we use him as cover for Yiadom, keep Gunter in our “prison” on much more money, or gamble on a new player unfamiliar with the club?

It’s a fairly trivial decision, Teddy Howe probably isn’t going to play for England, but it’s still an utterly bizarre decision and no amount of innuendo will change that.

:lol: oh dear

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Jan 2024 12:39

Teddy Howe might even play for England yet, England C that is. Ironically, we do currently have a full back who has represented and scored for the England C team, current club captain Andy Yiadom who scored against Cyprus' U21's and Estonia's U23's back in the 2014-15 season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jan 2024 13:10

Where's the SCIAG beef come from Brogue?

He's knowledgeable about the youth set up and players, and sometimes he gets things wrong.

A bit like you saying the game wouldn't be abandoned or it was confirmed William Storey had bought the club.

I know which things I'd be more embarrassed by.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 18 Jan 2024 13:16

Snowflake Royal Where's the SCIAG beef come from Brogue?

He's knowledgeable about the youth set up and players, and sometimes he gets things wrong.

A bit like you saying the game wouldn't be abandoned or it was confirmed William Storey had bought the club.

you've called him out on stuff before Ian, so don't come on here waving your massive vagina around thinking your shit doesn't stink

The guy thinks Meite is one of our best-ever signings, Jaap Stam didn't have enough time/was hard done by, and he'd rather have Paul Ince as manager over Warnock. the bloke lives in cloud cuckoo land

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190365&p=5377413&hilit=#p5377413
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190338&p=5373548&hilit#p5373548
:|

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Jan 2024 18:04

He's just generally the sort of person who has beef with everyone. Don't think he's forgiven me for clowning him for having a public meltdown when we finished a lowly 7th... or apparently for pointing out that 21 years and 3 months is not "nearly 22".

Apparently he loves me so much he's been creating a list of my opinions and times people have disagreed with me :lol:

Doubtless I've had some shit takes in the last 16 years. My worst is probably thinking that Jimmy Kebe was not good enough for the Championship, followed by being anti-Kermorgant. Don't think "I'd rather have a shit manager than Warnock" even registers tbh.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 18 Jan 2024 22:36

SCIAG

He's just generally the sort of person who has beef with everyone. Don't think he's forgiven me for clowning him for having a public meltdown when we finished a lowly 7th... or apparently for pointing out that 21 years and 3 months is not "nearly 22".

Apparently he loves me so much he's been creating a list of my opinions and times people have disagreed with me :lol:

Doubtless I've had some shit takes in the last 16 years. My worst is probably thinking that Jimmy Kebe was not good enough for the Championship, followed by being anti-Kermorgant. Don't think "I'd rather have a shit manager than Warnock" even registers tbh.

1) I didn't have a 'meltdown' :| i started the pauno out thread. because i could see things were turning to shit after the second half of the season collapse. and I was right. From Christmas that season, until he was sacked we were fcuking shit, irrespective of finishing 7th.

2) i said Teddy Howe was 21 and would be nearly 22 when the following season was going to start - the season you were predicting he was going to challenge for a first-team spot :lol: ... how did that one work out?

3) and number three, I haven't been keeping a list, don't flatter yourself, it's called the search function. :|

you're going to need to do better than that, pal. :roll:

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 19 Jan 2024 14:16

Will Unwin
@Will_Unwin
Nelson Abbey is set to leave Reading to join Olympiakos, I am told
2:11 PM · Jan 19, 2024
·
^ guardian journo

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jan 2024 14:18

Good opportunity for him. If Holmes is worth £400k, what is Abbey worth? As much as £1m?

I wonder if he ends up with a loan to Forest one day as an FFP workaround.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 Jan 2024 14:29

If the price is right we have to sell, we all know that. What I don't like is that it would appear Pang has approached multiple clubs offering out our prized assets to the highest bidder. Sam Smith will be next.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 19 Jan 2024 14:31

NathStPaul If the price is right we have to sell, we all know that. What I don't like is that it would appear Pang has approached multiple clubs offering out our prized assets to the highest bidder. Sam Smith will be next.

Pang or Kia?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 Jan 2024 14:36

Brogue
NathStPaul If the price is right we have to sell, we all know that. What I don't like is that it would appear Pang has approached multiple clubs offering out our prized assets to the highest bidder. Sam Smith will be next.

Pang or Kia?

They are one in the same ultimately. Both in it for themselves with no regard for Reading Football Club or its supporters. Crooks who shouldn't be anywhere near professional football.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 19 Jan 2024 14:40

NathStPaul
Brogue

Pang or Kia?

They are one in the same ultimately. Both in it for themselves with no regard for Reading Football Club or its supporters. Crooks who shouldn't be anywhere near professional football.

Indeed but Kia is abbeys agent… as he is for bindon too

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 19 Jan 2024 14:42

Brogue Will Unwin
@Will_Unwin
Nelson Abbey is set to leave Reading to join Olympiakos, I am told
2:11 PM · Jan 19, 2024
·
^ guardian journo

So as he's out of contract in the summer and Olympiakos is not an English team - what does this mean regarding any compensation?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 Jan 2024 14:42

Brogue
NathStPaul
Brogue
Pang or Kia?

Indeee but Kia is abbeys agent…

It was a joint effort no doubt. Pang has a list of names who he thinks can bring in a decent fee, tells Kia to shop around for his client.

548 posts