Confrimed - Abbey and Holmes going

548 posts
Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Confrimed - Abbey and Holmes going

by Elm Park Kid » 29 Jan 2024 23:33

I'm hearing that the deal has been done. Off to Pompy.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 30 Jan 2024 00:00

Sutekh
WestYorksRoyal Pictures of TMac in the squad today. So not so imminent that he's been left out.

Nothing settled yet on his proposed move to Pompey then.

Confimred £75k

Bowen and Selles not consulted

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jan 2024 07:00

Uke
Sutekh
WestYorksRoyal Pictures of TMac in the squad today. So not so imminent that he's been left out.

Confimred £75k

I get the feeling the fee was agreed but Bowen may have got involved to get the sell on, once clear that the deal was going to happen anyway.

Just a hunch, Bowen essentially powerless if your boss makes deals above your head.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Jan 2024 07:01

Uke
Sutekh

Confimred £75k

£75k? You've got to be joking. What are we meant to do with that derisory amount

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Jan 2024 07:07

Royal_jimmy
Uke
Sutekh

Confimred £75k

£75k? You've got to be joking. What are we meant to do with that derisory amount

I imagine wage savings matter more than the fee, given he signed his contract in the Championship. But still a joke of a deal, we should be pushing for £250k.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jan 2024 07:07

Royal_jimmy
Uke
Sutekh

Confimred £75k

Pay some bills. Would also save 6 months salary. So say TMc is on 3k pw, would be around another 75k.

I'm not sure how much more we could get for him. OOC in June, started 3 games all season. Injured twice & even now he's back, he has been last off the bench both times.

He's cover at the mo, which whilst important, we do have other options who could cover. Both experienced & youth.

75k in and 75k saved for someone who isn't a major cog of the squad currently and was likely to leave in June isn't something I will get upset about as a standalone, it kinda makes sense esp with the sell-on. I doubt people would be as upset if it wasn't a player who had come through the Academy.

Not happy if it has been done without the knowledge of the football department again.

Now if we lose another 2 or 3 in the next 3 days, esp. key players, I'll be pretty pissed.

At the moment, can live with who we've lost.
Last edited by Stranded on 30 Jan 2024 07:11, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jan 2024 07:09

WestYorksRoyal
Royal_jimmy
Uke
Confimred £75k

I imagine wage savings matter more than the fee, given he signed his contract in the Championship. But still a joke of a deal, we should be pushing for £250k.

Honestly, we would have struggled to get that for him in the summer, no chance now, esp as we need money up front. Clubs would have just waited and picked him up for free in the summer.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Jan 2024 07:45

Stranded
Royal_jimmy
Uke
Confimred £75k

Pay some bills. Would also save 6 months salary. So say TMc is on 3k pw, would be around another 75k.

I'm not sure how much more we could get for him. OOC in June, started 3 games all season. Injured twice & even now he's back, he has been last off the bench both times.

He's cover at the mo, which whilst important, we do have other options who could cover. Both experienced & youth.

75k in and 75k saved for someone who isn't a major cog of the squad currently and was likely to leave in June isn't something I will get upset about as a standalone, it kinda makes sense esp with the sell-on. I doubt people would be as upset if it wasn't a player who had come through the Academy.

Not happy if it has been done without the knowledge of the football department again.

Now if we lose another 2 or 3 in the next 3 days, esp. key players, I'll be pretty pissed.

At the moment, can live with who we've lost.

This is where I'm at. Actions in the last couple of months are probably 6 months overdue in terms of reducing our wage bill and operating costs, and manageable for Selles and the team.

Whereas selling some key players is just a sign that Dai isn't serious about selling the club. What is the difference in value between selling a L1 club and a L2 club? That is what Smith, Wing, Knibbs and Azeez are worth. I'd say Yiadom not far behind as club captain.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jan 2024 07:55

No loss, barely played in two years and seemed to becoming an injury liability. Least he'll be able to go somewhere and flourish under decent management and ownership at last. And probably doesn't have to move home either.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jan 2024 07:57

Injury probe L1 bench warmer ooc in the summer . Can’t imagine many scenarios where we’d get much more than 75k.

Shame in some ways, local lad etc, but prob best for all concerned

Saw we sold some youth kid to Soton as well

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jan 2024 08:13

Hound Injury probe L1 bench warmer ooc in the summer . Can’t imagine many scenarios where we’d get much more than 75k.

Shame in some ways, local lad etc, but prob best for all concerned

Saw we sold some youth kid to Soton as well

Agreed.

I know it isn't a perfect resource but according to Transfermarkt - since making his debut at Rotherham on 15th December 2018 - he has only started 82 league games in 5 years - so about 15 starts per year.

35 of those starts came last season. That is a lot less starts than I thought he had made. By comparison, Holmes has 107 league starts having made his debut 9 months earlier and spending a season in Belgium.

traff

by traff » 30 Jan 2024 08:39

Portsmouth fans laughing at this, short memories.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jan 2024 08:51

traff Portsmouth fans laughing at this, short memories.

I did enjoy the ha,ha, ha 75k for their best player tweet this morning.

Without even looking at the fact that the guy hasn't played this year.

Anyway, Twitter is a wonder this morning - so many people not understanding the term "fire sale" (not saying it won't become one, but it isn't one yet) and many saying its ridiculous, we should have held out for 300k - clearly completely forgetting the position the club is in at the moment and that we need money now! If a L1 club offers you 300k, you ain't seeing all that money now - be lucky to see 75k of it.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Jan 2024 08:53

I was hoping McIntyre was going to establish himself as a first team regular but injuries just haven't worked out that way for him unfortunately. Always liked him though, he has been one of my favourite players of the recent times, just a likeable person.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 30 Jan 2024 09:06

A lot of people saying it's barely a loss, but we have just lost Holmes and Abbey. So I think it's a massive loss. Not just depth, but you know... actual players to actually field.

Not only that, he is Mr Reading through and through. He's bleed blue.

Obviously he's a professional who just wants to get paid at the end of the week, so no doubt will be excellent for Portsmouth, but to lose one of our own is cruel. Abbey just weeks ago said he'd play for free. How did we manage to raise such a passionate generation of players who love the club, and then do this to them?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jan 2024 09:17

YorkshireRoyal99 I was hoping McIntyre was going to establish himself as a first team regular but injuries just haven't worked out that way for him unfortunately. Always liked him though, he has been one of my favourite players of the recent times, just a likeable person.

Yeah, this.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jan 2024 09:18

skipper A lot of people saying it's barely a loss, but we have just lost Holmes and Abbey. So I think it's a massive loss. Not just depth, but you know... actual players to actually field.

Obviously he's a professional who just wants to get paid at the end of the week, so no doubt will be excellent for Portsmouth, but to lose one of our own is cruel. Abbey just weeks ago said he'd play for free. How did we manage to raise such a passionate generation of players who love the club, and then do this to them?

It's not a massive loss when he simply hasn't been available for the campaign to date and with his recent injury record, is probably only a game or two away from another few weeks out.

We can argue about the quality all we like but he is now, at best, back-up to CB, LB and CDM - so we have the following players who can play those positions and have first team minutes this season:

Holmes
Bindon
Yiadom
Mbengue
Mola
Dorsett
Dean
Hutchinson
Craig
Savage
Rushesha
Carson

Outside of those, we have the following who could also play CB, LB or CDM if needed in the u21s

Stickland
Senga (back from getting first team minutes in Scotland)
Clarke (though needs to get match fit)
Wellens

So yes, for the 3 positions McIntyre can and has covered, we are pretty well stocked. Are all those options better than him, probably not, but are they available? Yes.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jan 2024 09:20

Stranded
skipper A lot of people saying it's barely a loss, but we have just lost Holmes and Abbey. So I think it's a massive loss. Not just depth, but you know... actual players to actually field.

It's not a massive loss when he simply hasn't been available for the campaign to date and with his recent injury record, is probably only a game or two away from another few weeks out.

We can argue about the quality all we like but he is now, at best, back-up to CB, LB and CDM - so we have the following players who can play those positions and have first team minutes this season:

Holmes
Bindon
Yiadom
Mbengue
Mola
Dorsett
Dean
Hutchinson
Craig
Savage
Rushesha
Carson

Outside of those, we have the following who could also play CB, LB or CDM if needed in the u21s

Stickland
Senga (back from getting first team minutes in Scotland)
Clarke (though needs to get match fit)
Wellens

So yes, for the 3 positions McIntyre can and has covered, we are pretty well stocked. Are all those options better than him, probably not, but are they available? Yes.

Probably not?

Most of them are way off.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 30 Jan 2024 09:22

just having a look at the salaries of the players, and yes we've been here before, we know this isn't exact so we take it with a pinch of salt. But it gives us a ballpark figure. and the majority of places that list the salaries are all pretty close. In Nigel Howes' most recent interview, he said we were still losing 1.2 million a month remember.

So: these are the listed salaries for the players we've let go.

Ovie Ejaria £7,800pw - £405,600 pa - i'm sure there was a figure banded around on how much his mutual termination was going to save us, can't remember now

Dom Ballard £5,400pw - £280,800 pa - not sure how much of that wage we were paying as part of the loan deal

Tom McIntyre £3,600pw - £187,200pa

Nesta Guinness-Walker £2,900pw - £150,800pa - we don't know how much of his wage Stevenage is paying for the loan deal till the end of the season.

Tom Holmes £2,600pw - £135,200pa assume we are not paying anything towards his wages now

Nelson Abbey £900pw - £46,800pa

So let's add all that up, £23,200k saved per week, which rounded up is £100K a month saved on wages, and that's the absolute best case. As above ovie was a mutual termination so it won't be the full saving, were we paying all of Ballard's wages? we don't know. But for the sake of arguments let's just run with the figures. And remember at the top of the post I mentioned that Howe said we are losing 1.2 million a month!! with 6 of our highest earners off the wage bill, we still have only saved 100k a month off that £1.2 million figure. that just goes to show how badly this club is being run. and would suggest that it's our operational costs now that are causing the issues rather than player wages.
Last edited by Brogue on 30 Jan 2024 09:24, edited 1 time in total.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Jan 2024 09:23

Holmes is still on until the EOS and we have Bindon, Mbengue Dean, Dorsett as well who can all play there. Sure, it is a loss to squad depth as McIntyre is better than all 4, but he's rarely ever fit for a consistent period anyway. This season we've basically been paying him money to rarely play. He's only just started to come back to fitness now since his last appearance back in September. No use holding onto someone like that when we can get £75k + save on his wages for the rest of the season as well. I didn't want it to play out like this either, as mentioned, I liked him but our situation is different. It also may give an U23 player an opportunity to step up as well.

548 posts