Confrimed - Abbey and Holmes going

548 posts
rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Confrimed - Abbey and Holmes going

by rabidbee » 31 Jan 2024 14:35

Although if there was any serious acrimony there, would he have bothered to come back on loan?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jan 2024 14:43

rabidbee Although if there was any serious acrimony there, would he have bothered to come back on loan?

Would he have had much choice?

He's the one player we've let go who is playing regularly, and he's not going to get a sniff at Luton at the moment. And despite the relationship, he's being professional to play for his home town team and get matches.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 31 Jan 2024 15:48

Obviously not ideal losing players, but elephant in the room, look at the players we have lost in the past during Dai's tenure on a free where we could of got a fee for them (Richards, Swift, Laurent, Joao, Meite). Now I know we are getting minimal fees here (but we obviously need the cash to cover wages/ HMRC) - so if the approach stays the same where we are just shifting players that we lose for nothing at end of the season it isn't a disaster in my book.

Holmes - least we have got him back, but tbf - after the Port Vale game at start of the season, I would have happily not seen him play for us again.
McIntyre - as above in regards to the Port Vale (a) game, and when he has played since he hasn't set the world alight. Don't get the over-reaction from the Twitter kids, fair play to him for getting a good move and a likely chance of Championship footy again.
Abbey - the only real loss imo, was he going to sign a deal in the summer? Doubtful. What a move for him too

That just leaves Azeez, if he left it would hurt us (never thought I would be saying that 3/4 months ago). But if he does go, do you blame him or the Club? He won't sign a new deal in the summer, so getting a fee for him now may be best option if it means we don't have to sell a Wing or Smith.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 31 Jan 2024 15:55

hughsies no.1 Obviously not ideal losing players, but elephant in the room, look at the players we have lost in the past during Dai's tenure on a free where we could of got a fee for them (Richards, Swift, Laurent, Joao, Meite). Now I know we are getting minimal fees here (but we obviously need the cash to cover wages/ HMRC) - so if the approach stays the same where we are just shifting players that we lose for nothing at end of the season it isn't a disaster in my book.

Holmes - least we have got him back, but tbf - after the Port Vale game at start of the season, I would have happily not seen him play for us again.
McIntyre - as above in regards to the Port Vale (a) game, and when he has played since he hasn't set the world alight. Don't get the over-reaction from the Twitter kids, fair play to him for getting a good move and a likely chance of Championship footy again.
Abbey - the only real loss imo, was he going to sign a deal in the summer? Doubtful. What a move for him too

That just leaves Azeez, if he left it would hurt us (never thought I would be saying that 3/4 months ago). But if he does go, do you blame him or the Club? He won't sign a new deal in the summer, so getting a fee for him now may be best option if it means we don't have to sell a Wing or Smith.

Don't agree with all that. You should be selling players, but at times that work for the team and with a plan to replace them, even if the plan is internal succession from the academy.

We're just about passing the test with Holmes, McIntyre and Abbey though we've sold them at a moment of weakness and cost ourselves. But if we sell Azeez, it's a huge fail as the team will be substantially weaker. With relegation at stake, we have to keep him and hope we're in a better position with new owners to replace him in the summer (where he would not be a free anyway due to his age).

Agree that losing the players mentioned on a free was shambolic, but selling them in this manner is equally shambolic and not an improvement.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 31 Jan 2024 15:56

hughsies no.1 He won't sign a new deal in the summer, so getting a fee for him now may be best option if it means we don't have to sell a Wing or Smith.
People keep pointing out we will get some kind of fee in the summer for Azeez.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 Jan 2024 16:06

Snowflake Royal
rabidbee Although if there was any serious acrimony there, would he have bothered to come back on loan?

He's the one player we've let go who is playing regularly, and he's not going to get a sniff at Luton at the moment. And despite the relationship, he's being professional to play for his home town team and get matches.

He may have wanted to play at a higher level than where we are potentially, although was happy to accept playing for us still. As above, I'm sure if there was that much disdain between player and manager, whoever was at fault, he wouldn't come back, he wouldn't have been playing recently and we wouldn't want him back.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jan 2024 16:08

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal

He may have wanted to play at a higher level than where we are potentially, although was happy to accept playing for us still. As above, I'm sure if there was that much disdain between player and manager, whoever was at fault, he wouldn't come back, he wouldn't have been playing recently and we wouldn't want him back.

Dellor said to him something like, but your relationship with Selles is good now? And Holmes largely swerved the question and talked about just being professional and getting on with doing his job.

It spoke volumes.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 Jan 2024 16:16

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Would he have had much choice?

Dellor said to him something like, but your relationship with Selles is good now? And Holmes largely swerved the question and talked about just being professional and getting on with doing his job.

It spoke volumes.

It wouldn't be the first time a player has said it wasn't their fault with an issue with the manager, I wouldn't like to say who was at fault or what the issue was when ultimately we don't know. Fair play to Holmes for getting on with it and continuing to play, however they are both professionals so for the good of everyone, they may have amicably shook hands and just moved on.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 31 Jan 2024 16:22

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Would he have had much choice?

It spoke volumes.

My impression was there is no love lost between them and it’s all about being professional from both sides.

I think Selles can now see that our defence is better with Holmes in it and I am sure Holmes is happy to be back for 3/4 months. I can’t see he’d have got much game time at Luton.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 31 Jan 2024 16:34

rabidbee
hughsies no.1 He won't sign a new deal in the summer, so getting a fee for him now may be best option if it means we don't have to sell a Wing or Smith.
People keep pointing out we will get some kind of fee in the summer for Azeez.

As he came through the academy, we'll get a nominal fee.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jan 2024 17:51

blythspartan
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

It spoke volumes.

My impression was there is no love lost between them and it’s all about being professional from both sides.

I think Selles can now see that our defence is better with Holmes in it and I am sure Holmes is happy to be back for 3/4 months. I can’t see he’d have got much game time at Luton.

Yeah 100%.

Selles oxf*rd it initially. He's not been too up his own arse to change his mind and fix it. Which is a credit to him. And Holmes hasn't let it affect his professionalism. Which is a credit to him. They don't have to like each other to work together for another few months.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 31 Jan 2024 17:59

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
Snowflake Royal Dellor said to him something like, but your relationship with Selles is good now? And Holmes largely swerved the question and talked about just being professional and getting on with doing his job.

It spoke volumes.

Yeah 100%.

Selles oxf*rd it initially. He's not been too up his own arse to change his mind and fix it. Which is a credit to him. And Holmes hasn't let it affect his professionalism. Which is a credit to him. They don't have to like each other to work together for another few months.

TBF to Selles, anyone in that away end at Port Vale at the start of the season would have let that game happy to never see Holmes play for us again, same with McIntyre. No denying he has looked brilliant since he has been back in the team, but was rightly dropped after PV (a).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jan 2024 18:41

hughsies no.1
Snowflake Royal
blythspartan

Yeah 100%.

TBF to Selles, anyone in that away end at Port Vale at the start of the season would have let that game happy to never see Holmes play for us again, same with McIntyre. No denying he has looked brilliant since he has been back in the team, but was rightly dropped after PV (a).
Maybe.

Plenty of people recognised the total lack of protection offered to defence from that midfield. It's no surprise that our form has drastically improved with Wing and Craig in there instead of Hutchinson and Savage. At least once Wing was fit, he which he wasn't when he came on in that game.

But I expect a manager to have a bit more vision and thought than just dropping defenders after one poor game where midfield was totally overrun, and bombing them out of the squad into the youth set up.

Lots of fans have been scapegoating Holmes for a long time for issues that were way bigger than his performances. And he's proved those who saw beyond that right now.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 31 Jan 2024 19:48

Personally i think the window so far has been pretty shrewd business. We need to cut the cloth and get a bit of cash into the building!! Holmes and McIntyre are both super nice guys, however, nice doesn't win you games and both have been cogs in probably our worst defense in recent memory.
Abbey made a rapid rise in the team due to Holmes and McIntyre not making the grade, and to be honest he was ok and looked good in spells and average in others. He may go on to big things, he may not, rumor has it there is a sell on clause in place, however, if he goes to Forest then that means bugger all.
Guinness Walker was bang average and needed off the books.
If we come through the remainder of the window unscathed then i feel its job well done, however, if one of the big four (Smith, Azeez, Knibbs or Wing) move on then its a disaster as i truly believe we would struggle to beat the drop.
Azeez is the interesting one as he only has 6 months remaining on his contract...so its stick or twist time. The big question is, who in the current squad would Selles replace Azeez with if he were to go?
Wing could do a job there, as could Elliot i guess, but neither are the marauding pacey running at the full back player that Azeez is!!
Maybe Vickers's could do a job there? he's tricky and good on the ball?
I guess come tomorrow evening we will have a better idea.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jan 2024 23:36

Crowbar6753 Personally i think the window so far has been pretty shrewd business. We need to cut the cloth and get a bit of cash into the building!! Holmes and McIntyre are both super nice guys, however, nice doesn't win you games and both have been cogs in probably our worst defense in recent memory.
Abbey made a rapid rise in the team due to Holmes and McIntyre not making the grade, and to be honest he was ok and looked good in spells and average in others. He may go on to big things, he may not, rumor has it there is a sell on clause in place, however, if he goes to Forest then that means bugger all.
Guinness Walker was bang average and needed off the books.
If we come through the remainder of the window unscathed then i feel its job well done, however, if one of the big four (Smith, Azeez, Knibbs or Wing) move on then its a disaster as i truly believe we would struggle to beat the drop.
Azeez is the interesting one as he only has 6 months remaining on his contract...so its stick or twist time. The big question is, who in the current squad would Selles replace Azeez with if he were to go?
Wing could do a job there, as could Elliot i guess, but neither are the marauding pacey running at the full back player that Azeez is!!
Maybe Vickers's could do a job there? he's tricky and good on the ball?
I guess come tomorrow evening we will have a better idea.

It's nailed on Selles would fill the Azeez void with a combination of Elliott and Vickers.

Wing would be Savage, so probably the most replaceable of the four.

Knibbs would be the same Vickers/Elliott combination as Azeez.

And Smith would be Ehibhatiomhan, which would need an adjustment of approach, or just maybe Azeez with the two previously mentioned coming in to shuffle him forward.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Feb 2024 06:24

Fabrizio Romano reporting Taylan Harris to Luton is a done deal.

Am OK with that, if fee is OK. It is trading cash in now to hopefully avoid any more first team sales v the chance he improves, makes the team, excels and we sell him for more.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Feb 2024 06:26

Stranded Fabrizio Romano reporting Taylan Harris to Luton is a done deal.

Am OK with that, if fee is OK. It is trading cash in now to hopefully avoid any more first team sales v the chance he improves, makes the team, excels and we sell him for more.

It’s ok-ish

Starting to get a bit annoying now with losing all these highly rated 16/17 year olds.

But yes better than losing Smith for example. Let’s hope it’s an instead of rather than as well as

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 01 Feb 2024 07:31

Hound

It’s ok-ish

Starting to get a bit annoying now with losing all these highly rated 16/17 year olds.

But yes better than losing Smith for example. Let’s hope it’s an instead of rather than as well as

I am ok with it as the bottom line is the club are doing what they have to in order to avoid administration. Despite my protestations the outgoings (apart from Abbey) have been sensible.

I hope we don’t lose anymore, and fingers crossed that there’ll be some positive takeover news soon.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Feb 2024 07:55

Hound

It’s ok-ish

All that matters is surviving until we get new owners and hopefully things look better next season, and this happens more easily if we remain a L1 club.

I don't enjoy seeing us sell our academy's family silver, but needs must. A few years dearth of talent coming out would be our next owners problem, plus you can't always identify which teenager will be the best. Lots of Tottenham coaches admit they never thought Kane would be a PL player let alone what he's become, and you've seen many a teen signing get nowhere.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 01 Feb 2024 07:58

blythspartan I am ok with it as the bottom line is the club are doing what they have to in order to avoid administration. Despite my protestations the outgoings (apart from Abbey) have been sensible.

Maybe I'm cynical, but I think they are just selling whoever they can to cover the bills until the takeover talks finish. I don't think they have the slightest care about the impact on the team.

My impression is that Dai has given up and just wants rid, whether that's selling to a new owner, or just liquidating, it's all the same to him.

548 posts