Confrimed - Abbey and Holmes going

548 posts
blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Confrimed - Abbey and Holmes going

by blythspartan » 01 Feb 2024 16:00

All of the outgoings so far seem to be sensible, especially if the money helps to fund the club until Dai sells up. I think we have enough home games against sides around us to avoid the drop. However, we are woefully short of strikers if Smith gets injured and we’ll struggle to score goals. I honestly don’t care what division we end up in anymore, as I just want to have a club to support for years to come.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 01 Feb 2024 16:02

Clyde1998 Harris to Luton: disappointing, as I think he was our best under 18 player and would've been knocking on the first team door very soon.
Vickers to Brighton: doesn't affect our strongest XI, but does impact squad depth. I think Vickers has struggled physically in League One and a move to Brighton could benefit his as a player.
Azeez to Plymouth: would massively weaken our team, especially without any obvious replacements in the squad - unless Camara comes back from injury or Wellens is much closer to first team football than I currently think.

Monlouis from Arsenal: seems an odd move. I'm not sure we need another CB, given we've got Holmes, Bindon, Dean, Dorsett and Mbengue would can all play there (EDIT: and Mola), as well as players from our U21s. Perhaps it points towards a tactical change in the near future?

Not when you realise who his agent is.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Feb 2024 16:27

Darren Witcoop reporting we have a massive fight on our hands to keep Azeez, Knibbs and Smith. We're safe :lol: .

Only thing that would make me feel better would be Anthony Smith reporting it's a done deal.

traff

by traff » 01 Feb 2024 16:37

Wonder if I can get a refund on my Stevenage and Portsmouth tickets now that they will be U18s fixtures.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Feb 2024 16:49

WestYorksRoyal Darren Witcoop reporting we have a massive fight on our hands to keep Azeez, Knibbs and Smith. We're safe :lol: .

Only thing that would make me feel better would be Anthony Smith reporting it's a done deal.

Haha, most welcome tweet of the day

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 01 Feb 2024 16:50

Snowflake Royal No sale and we'll end. Even with a very successful phoenix club we'll probably never play in the top 2 tiers again.

I think it depends of what sort of stadium we'd have by the time we get back in the league.

If it's a makeshift one, then it's be tough. Something decent, and it'd be a different proposition.

If we are stuck in a Withdean clone at Palmer Park, then we don't even make it back to the league.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 01 Feb 2024 16:54

blythspartan All of the outgoings so far seem to be sensible, especially if the money helps to fund the club until Dai sells up. I think we have enough home games against sides around us to avoid the drop. However, we are woefully short of strikers if Smith gets injured and we’ll struggle to score goals. I honestly don’t care what division we end up in anymore, as I just want to have a club to support for years to come.

100% agreed

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Feb 2024 16:58

Zammo
blythspartan All of the outgoings so far seem to be sensible, especially if the money helps to fund the club until Dai sells up. I think we have enough home games against sides around us to avoid the drop. However, we are woefully short of strikers if Smith gets injured and we’ll struggle to score goals. I honestly don’t care what division we end up in anymore, as I just want to have a club to support for years to come.

100% agreed

I definitely agree, but the issues are related. Pull away from the relegation zone and a sale is much easier to agree.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 01 Feb 2024 16:59

tmesis
Snowflake Royal No sale and we'll end. Even with a very successful phoenix club we'll probably never play in the top 2 tiers again.

I think it depends of what sort of stadium we'd have by the time we get back in the league.

If it's a makeshift one, then it's be tough. Something decent, and it'd be a different proposition.

If we are stuck in a Withdean clone at Palmer Park, then we don't even make it back to the league.

I think it would be likely we could end up at Wycombe for a bit should we need a ground and we're near the Football League. Far from ideal, but certainly better than trying to make Palmer Park or Scours Lane suitable (and I'm sure none of us would want to know what Cemetery Junction would be like on a matchday at Palmer Park :shock: ).

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 01 Feb 2024 17:08

Clyde1998
tmesis

I think it would be likely we could end up at Wycombe for a bit should we need a ground and we're near the Football League. Far from ideal, but certainly better than trying to make Palmer Park or Scours Lane suitable (and I'm sure none of us would want to know what Cemetery Junction would be like on a matchday at Palmer Park :shock: ).

Wycombe would be no good for the majority of our support, nightmare to get to from Reading area.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Feb 2024 17:11

72 bus
Clyde1998
tmesis I think it depends of what sort of stadium we'd have by the time we get back in the league.

Wycombe would be no good for the majority of our support, nightmare to get to from Reading area.

Maidenhead? On a train line, fits 4000 which we'd sell out every week. A decent start, and perhaps we could lease the SCL when we progress enough. Though I presume the phoenix club would refuse to pay Dai a penny as a point of principle.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Feb 2024 17:15

Sounds like Monlouis is happening. Very meh. Prob a good player but a) a Kia man and b) not really what we need

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Feb 2024 17:17

WestYorksRoyal
Zammo

100% agreed

I definitely agree, but the issues are related. Pull away from the relegation zone and a sale is much easier to agree.

I think Dai tries to up the price if that happens, and torpedos the whole thing.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 01 Feb 2024 17:23

Sam smith and Harvey Knibbs have told Dayong Pang that they have no intention of leaving and want to stay put.

https://twitter.com/TransfernewsRFC/sta ... 8357934126
(via Jamie Hodder)

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 01 Feb 2024 17:23

WestYorksRoyal
72 bus
Clyde1998 I think it would be likely we could end up at Wycombe for a bit should we need a ground and we're near the Football League. Far from ideal, but certainly better than trying to make Palmer Park or Scours Lane suitable (and I'm sure none of us would want to know what Cemetery Junction would be like on a matchday at Palmer Park :shock: ).

Maidenhead? On a train line, fits 4000 which we'd sell out every week. A decent start, and perhaps we could lease the SCL when we progress enough. Though I presume the phoenix club would refuse to pay Dai a penny as a point of principle.

I think Maidenhead is the only realistic option. Going to Wycombe as a non-league club would be a disaster.

Even then, it could only be a temporary option. We'd need to get back to The Madejski (or a proper new stadium in the town) before too long. I wouldn't want to go back to The Madejski with Dai as the owner though, and if he stuck to his current rental price, we couldn't afford it anyway.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Feb 2024 17:23

Hound Sounds like Monlouis is happening. Very meh. Prob a good player but a) a Kia man and b) not really what we need

I'm predicting 2 appearances off the bench.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Feb 2024 17:24

WestYorksRoyal
Hound Sounds like Monlouis is happening. Very meh. Prob a good player but a) a Kia man and b) not really what we need

I'm predicting 2 appearances off the bench.

At right back

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Feb 2024 17:30

tmesis
WestYorksRoyal
72 bus

I think Maidenhead is the only realistic option. Going to Wycombe as a non-league club would be a disaster.

Even then, it could only be a temporary option. We'd need to get back to The Madejski (or a proper new stadium in the town) before too long. I wouldn't want to go back to The Madejski with Dai as the owner though, and if he stuck to his current rental price, we couldn't afford it anyway.

Maybe Dai will go to jail in the next few years and his assets can be seized and sold to us on the cheap.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 01 Feb 2024 17:32

It's weird. I know I should be really annoyed, or upset, or worried, or something like that, but I feel I've gone beyond that.

Instead it's such a car crash that it's like one of those games where the team is 0-4 down and so hopeless that you kind of become detached from it, and just have a curiosity over how bad it can get.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 01 Feb 2024 17:37

tmesis
WestYorksRoyal
72 bus

I don't think Maidenhead is suitable for the Football League, which is why I suggested Wycombe if a phoenix club is close to or in the Football League. Although Maidenhead would be fine in the whole of the non-league. Does depend on the cost of rent and the crowds the club would be expected to get.

Hopefully a ground in Reading could be obtained prior to having to worry about a Football League suitable stadium.

548 posts