Confrimed - Abbey and Holmes going

548 posts
Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Confrimed - Abbey and Holmes going

by Orion1871 » 23 Jan 2024 18:22

The Royal Forester IF Dai is serious about selling the club, why would he (or Pang) bother to put in a sell on clause? It would be of no use to him, would it? Sell players on the cheap for just enough to keep the club ticking over and stuff the club is more likely to be in his thoughts.

None.

Unless that allegation that the last-minute changes Dai wanted to the Genevra deal was a percentage of future player sales is true.

If it is and he is still going to try that with interested parties, then that would possibly explain a sell on clause.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Jan 2024 18:31

From Despair To Where? More likely that we have, say a 15% sell on so when Olympiakos sell him to Forest for £3m, we get £450k but they also insert a separate sell on of 10% so that when Forest sell him to PSG for £200m, Olympiakos get £20m and we get £3m of the sell on because we still get 15% of their profit from the sale. its not us inserting sell ons to future sales.

in the case of Ivan Toney, every transfer he's had, has had a sell on clause and every sale has been done at a profit to the selling club. For each club in the chain, its a payment triggered by the single clause in their original sale

Oi!

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Jan 2024 18:33

The Royal Forester IF Dai is serious about selling the club, why would he (or Pang) bother to put in a sell on clause?

Maybe Dai & Pang are (almost certainly) not the ones to write up the contracts between the clubs

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Jan 2024 19:40

The Royal Forester IF Dai is serious about selling the club, why would he (or Pang) bother to put in a sell on clause? It would be of no use to him, would it? Sell players on the cheap for just enough to keep the club ticking over and stuff the club is more likely to be in his thoughts.

Because it has potential financial value to any future purchaser of the club.

The club is having to sell players to avoid administration. That's the reality. No need for conspiracy theories. There'll be no shortage of vultures circling to pick off players with potential at the lowest possible price. Dai has no bargaining power. Beggars can't be choosers. The world of business is utterly ruthless.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jan 2024 19:50

YorkshireRoyal99 I'd imagine it's a small fee for us as well, I can't see anything over seven figures for him. There may be a sell on clause on this though which would be ideal, but that's not based on anything other than hopeful speculation.

I'm assuming you mean over £1m, but over seven figures reads like at least £10m. :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jan 2024 19:52

Hendo
royalsroyalsroyals92 If there's a sell-on clause, would that purely be for the next transfer?

As it seems pretty obvious he'll be at Olympiakos, then a dirt cheap transfer to Forest - so does that sell on fee actually really matter here?!

Interesting thing from the Peterborough owner on a podcast yesterday discussing exactly this. Sell-on clauses can last for a number of transfers, not just the immediate one - obviously that all get negotiated in and it might be different levels for the subsequent transfers, etc...

For instance, we could have a sell-on clause added in for this Abbey transfer that his next move we get 15%, for example. But the move after that might be 5%, the move after that 2%, etc...

I don't see how that's possible as you're not party to any sale contract made with the club after the one you sell to.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jan 2024 19:54

From Despair To Where? More likely that we have, say a 15% sell on so when Olympiakos sell him to Forest for £3m, we get £450k but they also insert a separate sell on of 10% so that when Forest sell him to PSG for £200m, Olympiakos get £20m and we get £3m of the sell on because we still get 15% of their profit from the sale. its not us inserting sell ons to future sales.

in the case of Ivan Toney, every transfer he's had, has had a sell on clause and every sale has been done at a profit to the selling club. For each club in the chain, its a payment triggered by the single clause in their original sale

That would make sense, if a subsequent sale triggers more money to the club we sold to, they have to cough up a slice of that in line with our original contract.

I get it.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jan 2024 20:05

Yep, you've got it.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 24 Jan 2024 12:14

Even Fabrizio "Here we go!" Romano is reporting this now:

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/stat ... 4682168679

Olympiacos are closing in on deal to sign Nelson Abbey from Reading.

Agreement at final stages, almost done — it’s permanent transfer for England U20 talented defender.

He’s gonna be part of Olympiacos/Nottingham Forest long term project for present and future.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 24 Jan 2024 12:28

Another defender outgoing likely to be confrim today or tomorrow.

Edit - ok, confrimed quicker than I was expecting :D

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2024/j ... nage-loan/

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jan 2024 12:34

Elm Park Kid Another defender outgoing likely to be confrim today or tomorrow.

Wouldn't be surprised if that move is made permanent after the end of the season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jan 2024 12:35

OOC at the end of the season so imagine that will be the last time we see him in a Reading shirt.

Makes sense for all parties, Dorsett has LB tied down now and even before then NGW seemed to not be trusted by the manager. Lowers the wage bill further and frees up a potential squad space.

Also good that he can't play against us.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jan 2024 12:51

Mostly sensible outgoings so far given our situation. Players out of contract in the summer and sales that don't substantially weaken the team. Abbey stings the most, but even that is due to unrealised potential as opposed to ruining our chances this season. I'll wait until 1 Feb to pass judgement, but sensible moves so far.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2024 13:00

Stranded

OOC at the end of the season so imagine that will be the last time we see him in a Reading shirt.

Makes sense for all parties, Dorsett has LB tied down now and even before then NGW seemed to not be trusted by the manager. Lowers the wage bill further and frees up a potential squad space.

Also good that he can't play against us.

Always felt NGW was unfairly treated here and his performances warranted more faith.

He absolutely had flaws, bit weak in the challenge and not the strongest defensively, but really good going forward. Just constantly exposed by managerial tactics and poor players ahead of him.

All the best to him at Stevenage, but clearly right to move on with Dorsett and McIntyre fit and Carson to develop.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Jan 2024 13:08

Snowflake Royal Always felt NGW was unfairly treated here and his performances warranted more faith.

He absolutely had flaws, bit weak in the challenge and not the strongest defensively, but really good going forward. Just constantly exposed by managerial tactics and poor players ahead of him.

All the best to him at Stevenage, but clearly right to move on with Dorsett and McIntyre fit and Carson to develop.

Was he really good going forward?

36 appearances, no goals and one assist.....

As a comparison, Dorsett has 13 appearances, 1 goal and 2 assists.

Honestly, NGW was weak defensively and despite looking decent going forward didn't actually deliver an end product. So much so that we now have a centre back playing at left back and doing a better job.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jan 2024 13:18

Wycombe Royal
Snowflake Royal Always felt NGW was unfairly treated here and his performances warranted more faith.

Was he really good going forward?

36 appearances, no goals and one assist.....

As a comparison, Dorsett has 13 appearances, 1 goal and 2 assists.

Honestly, NGW was weak defensively and despite looking decent going forward didn't actually deliver an end product. So much so that we now have a centre back playing at left back and doing a better job.

He won a penalty at Norwich and err....

In terms of "looking good going forward" he did in terms of beating his man, and or finding space to get a ball in. Problem was he either never did or his cross was poor. He looked good beating a man though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2024 13:21

Won the pen at Port Vale as well (obvs not converted)

I liked him but he had his flaws and absolutely right to move him on now

Some nonsense floating around about Vickers to Real Madrid again. Can’t see it but….

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 24 Jan 2024 14:11

Hound Won the pen at Port Vale as well (obvs not converted)

Some nonsense floating around about Vickers to Real Madrid again. Can’t see it but….

Yes, I read it as a done deal, but probably bollox.

I thought NGW was going to be a real find, but it never happened for him. I reckon Steve Evans might be able to improve him.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jan 2024 14:25

blythspartan
Hound Won the pen at Port Vale as well (obvs not converted)

Yes, I read it as a done deal, but probably bollox.

I thought NGW was going to be a real find, but it never happened for him. I reckon Steve Evans might be able to improve him.

If it was a done deal, he wouldn't have been on the bench yesterday. Only way it could possible be done, is he is OOC in the summer and he has signed a pre-contract but then someone would have announced that if so.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 24 Jan 2024 14:27

NGW, along with Holmes, Carroll, Hutchinson, Dean - when fit - were all first team choices. All clashed with Selles. All dropped.

Now, some can argue their replacements were an upgrade. I also see that a manager has to deal with players who might become disruptive - Selles has kept a more cohesive team than Ince or Pauno did, for example.

But with NGW, dopped after port Vale (IIRC), when he was one of the only players to acquit himself well that day, I go along with the view that it was clashes with the manager, not his performances, that have led to this exit.

548 posts