Do you agree with todays pitch invasion and match abandonment?

329 posts

Do you approve of the pitch invasion and causing the match abandonment?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 135
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Do you agree with todays pitch invasion and match abandonment?

by Stranded » 13 Jan 2024 19:46

andrew1957
Stranded Having seen it, I am supportive of the on-pitch protest but not pushing it to abandonment.

All footage shared is of the out pouring of love and pride toward our club and anger at what is happening. That would still have been shared regardless of the abandonment.

So whilst I will defend the right of those who remained until the end, I personally would have been happier with a lengthy disruption & the game continuing, as it would seem most who got on the pitch did but I respect others disagree.

Question now though, is where do the protests go next? Another abandonment? As that won't get the same level of interest.

Abandonment was the only option to really get the EFLs attention. Now they have to do something.

But that makes it sound like the EFL don't know what is going on? They are acutely aware. They even demanded the independent commission banned Dai for 12 months. They want him gone.

What else does the abandonment do? How do fans now escalate the protests peacefully?

The only thing this forces the EFL to do is press charges, again.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 13 Jan 2024 19:50

The EFL, FA, UK Government, FIFA, anybody else, cannot force Dai to sell.

This tiny 'investment' of his is really small potatoes compared to his financial empire. I bet what is going on here is not even registering on his daily 'to do' list, whatever protests there are.

What I don't understand is why he doesn't accept an appropriate offer now, which will include him as the primary secured creditor and run with that. Liquidation will mean he loses everything.

The bigger and more pressing picture/issue is that the EFL/PL have now sanctioned 3 owners of our club post SJM, who were inappropriate on Post Office sub-masters scale of negligence.

I doubt the demise of 6th longest professional club in our country's history will cause or warrant any headlines or concern, let alone an ITV docu-soap. Anybody remember Bury now? (est 1885)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Jan 2024 19:56

St Pauli
Winston Biscuit I approve of the protest.

+1
shock, surprise :wink:

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 13 Jan 2024 19:56

Reading4eva I was wondering if overnight camping on the pitch might work. Let the game play but then camp on there. Stream it to gain attention

I'd be up for that when it gets a bit warmer.

Take a portable barbecue and a few beers, make a weekend of it.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Jan 2024 19:59

Yep, well done to everyone who took part, especially the first few on the pitch. Would've loved to have been there, gutted they cut the stream off.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 13 Jan 2024 20:00

Green
Reading4eva I was wondering if overnight camping on the pitch might work. Let the game play but then camp on there. Stream it to gain attention

Pack a suitcase and load up the roof box, make a 2 week summer holiday of it

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Jan 2024 20:07

What's it actually achieved ?

Dai is the legal owner of the club. Mob rule isn't going to over rule the status quo. No oe is going to invest in any football c;lub with that concern in the backs of their minds. Sense of self entitlement is overpowering. Clubs rise and fall. That's the nature of sport in general.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2024 20:11

Stranded Having seen it, I am supportive of the on-pitch protest but not pushing it to abandonment.

All footage shared is of the out pouring of love and pride toward our club and anger at what is happening. That would still have been shared regardless of the abandonment.

So whilst I will defend the right of those who remained until the end, I personally would have been happier with a lengthy disruption & the game continuing, as it would seem most who got on the pitch did but I respect others disagree.

Question now though, is where do the protests go next? Another abandonment? As that won't get the same level of interest.

In contrast, I think once they went for it, it had to be the whole way and abandonment, not limp off with a whimper after a pause.

I think it's the wrong time to have done it. I'd have been all for it in a month or so if we'd sold players and were back 6+ points adrift.

It was executed extremely well though. And I completely understand where they're coming from and support their right to (peaceful) protest how they want.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 13 Jan 2024 20:12

Yes - as Selles said these people are fans for life.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2024 20:16

I fear very few of us are going to be fans for life

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 13 Jan 2024 20:19

Lower West What's it actually achieved ?

Dai is the legal owner of the club. Mob rule isn't going to over rule the status quo. No oe is going to invest in any football c;lub with that concern in the backs of their minds. Sense of self entitlement is overpowering. Clubs rise and fall. That's the nature of sport in general.

You don't think anyone will buy a club that has a set of fans who are passionate and committed? I'd have thought the right person would be more than happy to have that kind of support.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 Jan 2024 20:20

Don't agree with it, personally. Not sure it achieves anything meaningful.
WestYorksRoyal
NathStPaul

Personally I'd like us to target the EFL now. Try and encourage them to intervene and remove Dai.

They don't have the power. All they can do is expel the club.

It needs to be targeted at out politicians. They found a way to force out Abhramovic, and if things get worse at Everton you can guarantee they'll find a magic solution there too. We shouldn't be treated differently because we're "little old Reading".

Of course we should be bringing the EFL on board to help find a solution, as I think they would currently tell the government not to meddle.

Bit of perspective required - the government took Chelsea away from Abramovic because he was sanctioned when his mate invaded Ukraine.

If China invades Taiwan tomorrow then maybe Dai will be sanctioned. Until then, there's no chance of the government seizing the club. No guarantee that a buyer could be found and it would set a dangerous precedent. Better for everyone, except us, if we did go to the wall.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 13 Jan 2024 20:21

grey_squirrel
What I don't understand is why he doesn't accept an appropriate offer now, which will include him as the primary secured creditor and run with that. Liquidation will mean he loses everything.

As the main creditor, he'd be first in line when the assets get sold off.

Whether he'd get more liquidating than a potential buyer would offer is a different matter.

If he kept us limping along on the bare minimum he'd get his £1 million rental fee every year, but it'd take a good few years for that to add up to significant sum.

As to the original question, I think I'd have preferred the game to have restarted some time after 4pm, but I'm not distraught that it didn't.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 13 Jan 2024 20:23

I was of the opinion that pitch invasions weren't the way to go and that once it happened today, it would have been fine if everyone cleared off and we got the game going again. That said I didn't think the people who opposed the pitch invasions full stop were wrong or those who stayed until the abandonment were wrong, we all have different opinions on what is needed to help the club.

What I don't agree with is the ones booing from the stands but also the ones who think they're the true fans and berating others for not running on the pitch.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 13 Jan 2024 20:25

Winston Biscuit
Green

It'll be something no one has done before. But for now, I think the EFL need some pressure to force this sale. It might be very rocky, it might result in relegation but at least there will be a Reading Football Club.

The best thing the EFL can do is block incoming and outgoings of the club. I worry where the money will be going from sales so financially strange Dai.

Sky and Jobi have been talking about everything after the Ipswich game

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 13 Jan 2024 20:25

Winston Biscuit
Green

It'll be something no one has done before. But for now, I think the EFL need some pressure to force this sale. It might be very rocky, it might result in relegation but at least there will be a Reading Football Club.

The best thing the EFL can do is block incoming and outgoings of the club. I worry where the money will be going from sales so financially strange Dai.

Sky and Jobi have been talking about everything after the Ipswich game

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 13 Jan 2024 20:31

F/ck off lower west.

Take your Daily Telegraph interpretation of history with you…

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 13 Jan 2024 20:34

St Pauli

F/ck off lower west.

Take your Daily Telegraph interpretation of history with you…

His name suggests he is a West Stand mong who takes his own sandwiches to games along with a tartan patterned blanket to pit over his legs.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 13 Jan 2024 20:36

Stranded All footage shared is of the out pouring of love and pride toward our club and anger at what is happening. That would still have been shared regardless of the abandonment.

I'm not sure about this. The abandonment elevates it well above a mere pitch invasion. It's on the front page of the BBC Sport and incredibly embarrassing for the EFL.

Where the protest go next? The objective surely has to be to shine a light on the chief protagonists.- Dai and the EFL. Embarrass and puncture egos and reputations.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 13 Jan 2024 20:39

tmesis
grey_squirrel

As the main creditor, he'd be first in line when the assets get sold off.

Whether he'd get more liquidating than a potential buyer would offer is a different matter.

If he kept us limping along on the bare minimum he'd get his £1 million rental fee every year, but it'd take a good few years for that to add up to significant sum.

The 'Club' is worth effectively nothing in comparison (especially right now). The Stadium is only relevant if it could generate income. Would it? Who would want it/want to use it regularly? £1M rental fee or whatever is a pie in the sky figure therefore. He could be done with it all and sell it back to the Thais who own the vicinity. What then, demolition? Nice new, shiny rail station on the doorstep. Prime, sort after real estate opportunity?........

329 posts