Do you agree with todays pitch invasion and match abandonment?

329 posts

Do you approve of the pitch invasion and causing the match abandonment?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 135
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Do you agree with todays pitch invasion and match abandonment?

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Jan 2024 22:16

That IS THE PROBLEM (@Pissed Off) he has many pots to p1ss in, things haven’t worked-out to raise his profile (yet again), he’s dropped us from his priorities.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 14 Jan 2024 22:17

Snowflake Royal He can afford to pay. He just won't.

He hasn't got a cash flow.

ozzygull

by ozzygull » 14 Jan 2024 23:05

Clyde1998
ozzygull
Dirk Gently Can't see what an abandonment will actually achieve, except an FA fine and a points deduction (presumably suspended). Because of precedent, there's no way the FA & FL can let this go unpunished, no matter how deep the emotions.

IMHO it would have been much more effective and impressive to go on for 10 minutes, then all get up and go back to the stands and let the game go on.

That would have given the perception of an organised and co-ordinated group who knew what they were doing and wanted to protest in a way that didn't impact the club, rather than a disorganised group determined to stop the match and impact the club.

As my username suggests I am a Brighton fan. I happen to live in Reading. In 1996 after hearing that our ground was to be sold (asset stripping) leaving us with nowhere to play, during a home game against York City Brighton fans invaded the pitch and broke the goal cross bar so the game could not be continued. Before that point nobody gave a monkey what was happening with a team stuck at the bottom of division 3 (League 2 today). It was the start that changed the course of our club’s history. It got our fight in to the national consciousness, we were deducted points for it and as result on the last game of the 97 season we are actually relegated to the conference league for about 45 minutes until we equalised and sent Hereford down on goals scored. The pitch invasion got the FA to get their finger out and became a mediator between the consortium that wanted to take over and the asset stripping aholes.

By the time they were gone and the consortium took over the only thing we had left was our league status and our name. No ground, no training facilities, no club office. We ended up to spending two seasons ground sharing with Gillingham.

Brighton put out a montage on the eve of our first game In Europe it started with the game against York.

https://youtu.be/KAqQiE44kXQ?si=iXGy_ZVBxVMMe6nJ

Living in Reading I was aware of what is happening in Reading and I join your protest march when you played Portsmouth. I wore my Brighton shirt, lot of your fans came up to say thank you to me and chatted about what was going, their fear, frustration and anger was very familiar to me.

On “northstandchat” the Brighton fans forum after your game yesterday there was a thread started about your issues and the overwhelming attitude is one of support and discussion on how we can help. I tried to bring Reading’s issues to the attention of our fans before, but not many were interested. What happened yesterday really made people sit up and take notice. I really hope it is the start of the end for Dai Yongge and Reading. ( if you do check on there have a thick skin as some people have no got over Steve Coppell leaving and the non playoff pitch invasion )

It may get worse for Reading yet, but the most important thing is you stick together as a fan base, once this fella is out of your club be there to pick up the pieces of what’s left.

Thank you. I think it's always worth remembering that other clubs have gone through similar issues and have managed to recover. Whatever any sporting animosity there may be between clubs, no set of fans should ever have to go through worrying about whether there will even be a club.

I'm relatively young (25), so throughout my early years of watching football, you were playing at the Withdean - a venue completely unsuitable for football. You were held back for years through lack of decent facilities. Now Brighton have one of the best grounds in the country. I've been to the Amex three times, most recently on Tuesday night, and it remains one of the most impressive venues I've been to of the 60-odd I've done; totally fitting of the current position of the club. Brighton are now one of the best sides in the country - especially of those outside the big six.

I think the impact of yesterday is greater than any of us expected. We're in a situation where we've got nothing to lose now; I don't think anyone really cares if we get relegated this season - as long as we've got a club at the end of it.

We've gone down hill so quickly, even a few weeks ago it didn't seem this desperate. I think the events of the last week - the CEO trying to sell players without informing the manager and DOF; the suggestion the owner is attempting to use our income to pay off his own debts and not being serious about selling the club; any sale of the club would involve the training ground being sold separately - has pushed people over the edge. It doesn't help that the owner and directors (all based in China) have been lying to the UK-based staff and supporters' groups about funding and their intentions since the start of the season.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully we can get back to normality at some point.

It was the same for us in 1997 we needed the owners out whatever happened, we were 12 point’s adrift at one point.

Real football fans do not pick their clubs because of its success, it maybe the place you are born, family connections or something else. It is part of your identity and the club has an important part to play in its community. I do not post on here to gloat but to offer hope and any advice as a fan that’s been through it and came out the other side.

The most satisfying thing you will have when this chapter in your club history is over and the good times start to comeback, you will be able to stand with pride knowing that you were there and you refused to let it die.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 14 Jan 2024 23:23

Winston Biscuit
Brogue
Winston Biscuit At a time when we should all be united, its a real shame one or two vocal RFC fans on twitter are trying to go out of their way to cause division amongst us.

Who

Not going to link to it as I have no intention to e-beef or try and cause a pile on, but one of the more prominent RFC fans I often see on twitter commenting on things appears to be campaigning to make the entire thing about themselves and what a huge hero they are.

The ego they must have is quite something.

Did see one of the prominent members of SBWD disagreeing with getting the game abandoned, presumably as it wasn't their idea, but happy to take credit for it now it's been deemed a success.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 14 Jan 2024 23:50

Pepe the Horseman
Winston Biscuit
Brogue
Who

Not going to link to it as I have no intention to e-beef or try and cause a pile on, but one of the more prominent RFC fans I often see on twitter commenting on things appears to be campaigning to make the entire thing about themselves and what a huge hero they are.

Did see one of the prominent members of SBWD disagreeing with getting the game abandoned, presumably as it wasn't their idea, but happy to take credit for it now it's been deemed a success.

I don't think anyone knew what the best scenario was. My opinion was "do it" as something needs to change and someone needs to listen. But it could have backfired. I think in conjunction with the build up protests, the tennis balls, the march... people have supported it.

Dai had every chance to do something at any point up to this stage including last season to prevent what happened yesterday. But he hasn't. And therefore, the football world have seen it as the next step.

If he doesn't listen to this now, he's stupid, dumb or doesn't care. He's probably all three but at the same time I would hope he is being advised that his time is up.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 14 Jan 2024 23:52

Reading4eva
Pepe the Horseman
Winston Biscuit

I don't think anyone knew what the best scenario was. My opinion was "do it" as something needs to change and someone needs to listen. But it could have backfired. I think in conjunction with the build up protests, the tennis balls, the march... people have supported it.

Dai had every chance to do something at any point up to this stage including last season. But he hasn't. And therefore, the football world have seen it as the next step.

If he doesn't listen to this now, he's stupid, dumb or doesn't care. He's probably all three but at the same time I would hope he is being advised that his time is up.

Don't think it was ever about getting Dai to listen, we're past that. It was about getting national attention, which was a success.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 14 Jan 2024 23:55

Pepe the Horseman
Winston Biscuit
Brogue
Who

They actively tried to derail the planned match disruption by announcing via a typically long-winded statement it would be post-match.

Appreciate the work they have done outside the stadium raising awareness but let's face it they are a bunch of bottlejobs when it comes to direct action.
The previous post-match sit-in they arranged was predictably pointless as would have been a post-match pitch invasion.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 15 Jan 2024 00:01

John Madejski's Wallet
NathStPaul It had to happen. I don't think it should keep happening but I think a stand had to be made.

I feel sorry for the Port Vale fans, they have been extremely supportive of out plight. It would be a good idea for a representative of our supporters group to get in touch with Port Vale's supporters to see if there is a charitable organisation that they are linked to or are currently supporting. We of course can't compensate the Vale fans personally so maybe a bit of a fundraiser for a local Stoke cause would be a nice touch.

I'd donate tbf

This is coming from a self confessed pitch invader. So it’s ok to invade the pitch providing you make a donation to charity?
Isn’t this the same scenario that led to Thatcher using the phrase ‘Lager Louts’?

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 15 Jan 2024 00:15

NathStPaul
St Pauli
Lower West What's it actually achieved ?

Dai is the legal owner of the club. Mob rule isn't going to over rule the status quo. No oe is going to invest in any football c;lub with that concern in the backs of their minds. Sense of self entitlement is overpowering. Clubs rise and fall. That's the nature of sport in general.

F/ck off lower west.

Take your Daily Telegraph interpretation of history with you…

His name suggests he is a West Stand mong who takes his own sandwiches to games along with a tartan patterned blanket to pit over his legs.

You and St Pauli are not doing yourself any favours with that reply, do you take your Establishment funded, far right, intelligence insulting, and Government fuelled propaganda version of ‘The Sun’ into Y26 every game?

Lower West had aoint to make, and is entitled to make it without being abused.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 15 Jan 2024 00:21

Pepe the Horseman
Reading4eva
Pepe the Horseman Did see one of the prominent members of SBWD disagreeing with getting the game abandoned, presumably as it wasn't their idea, but happy to take credit for it now it's been deemed a success.

Dai had every chance to do something at any point up to this stage including last season. But he hasn't. And therefore, the football world have seen it as the next step.

Don't think it was ever about getting Dai to listen, we're past that. It was about getting national attention, which was a success.

Agree there mate. The question is where next if something doesn't happen now. Another pitch invasion? If thats going to happen, Leyton Orient would have to be the game. I've read a few of their fans being very sympathetic and as they are a club who have been through the wars, they will probably give their support.

But maybe there is another option to gain attention. What that is at the moment, I don't know

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 15 Jan 2024 00:36

ozzyguy
Clyde1998
ozzygull
As my username suggests I am a Brighton fan. I happen to live in Reading. In 1996 after hearing that our ground was to be sold (asset stripping) leaving us with nowhere to play, during a home game against York City Brighton fans invaded the pitch and broke the goal cross bar so the game could not be continued. Before that point nobody gave a monkey what was happening with a team stuck at the bottom of division 3 (League 2 today). It was the start that changed the course of our club’s history. It got our fight in to the national consciousness, we were deducted points for it and as result on the last game of the 97 season we are actually relegated to the conference league for about 45 minutes until we equalised and sent Hereford down on goals scored. The pitch invasion got the FA to get their finger out and became a mediator between the consortium that wanted to take over and the asset stripping aholes.

By the time they were gone and the consortium took over the only thing we had left was our league status and our name. No ground, no training facilities, no club office. We ended up to spending two seasons ground sharing with Gillingham.

Brighton put out a montage on the eve of our first game In Europe it started with the game against York.

https://youtu.be/KAqQiE44kXQ?si=iXGy_ZVBxVMMe6nJ

Living in Reading I was aware of what is happening in Reading and I join your protest march when you played Portsmouth. I wore my Brighton shirt, lot of your fans came up to say thank you to me and chatted about what was going, their fear, frustration and anger was very familiar to me.

On “northstandchat” the Brighton fans forum after your game yesterday there was a thread started about your issues and the overwhelming attitude is one of support and discussion on how we can help. I tried to bring Reading’s issues to the attention of our fans before, but not many were interested. What happened yesterday really made people sit up and take notice. I really hope it is the start of the end for Dai Yongge and Reading. ( if you do check on there have a thick skin as some people have no got over Steve Coppell leaving and the non playoff pitch invasion )

It may get worse for Reading yet, but the most important thing is you stick together as a fan base, once this fella is out of your club be there to pick up the pieces of what’s left.

Thank you. I think it's always worth remembering that other clubs have gone through similar issues and have managed to recover. Whatever any sporting animosity there may be between clubs, no set of fans should ever have to go through worrying about whether there will even be a club.

I'm relatively young (25), so throughout my early years of watching football, you were playing at the Withdean - a venue completely unsuitable for football. You were held back for years through lack of decent facilities. Now Brighton have one of the best grounds in the country. I've been to the Amex three times, most recently on Tuesday night, and it remains one of the most impressive venues I've been to of the 60-odd I've done; totally fitting of the current position of the club. Brighton are now one of the best sides in the country - especially of those outside the big six.

I think the impact of yesterday is greater than any of us expected. We're in a situation where we've got nothing to lose now; I don't think anyone really cares if we get relegated this season - as long as we've got a club at the end of it.

We've gone down hill so quickly, even a few weeks ago it didn't seem this desperate. I think the events of the last week - the CEO trying to sell players without informing the manager and DOF; the suggestion the owner is attempting to use our income to pay off his own debts and not being serious about selling the club; any sale of the club would involve the training ground being sold separately - has pushed people over the edge. It doesn't help that the owner and directors (all based in China) have been lying to the UK-based staff and supporters' groups about funding and their intentions since the start of the season.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully we can get back to normality at some point.

It was the same for us in 1997 we needed the owners out whatever happened, we were 12 point’s adrift at one point.

Real football fans do not pick their clubs because of its success, it maybe the place you are born, family connections or something else. It is part of your identity and the club has an important part to play in its community. I do not post on here to gloat but to offer hope and any advice as a fan that’s been through it and came out the other side.

The most satisfying thing you will have when this chapter in your club history is over and the good times start to comeback, you will be able to stand with pride knowing that you were there and you refused to let it die.

^
This blokes worth ten more than that twat Tenbobsworth from Bolton
welcome to hobnob ozzyguy

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Jan 2024 08:52

Fair play to those fans who went on the pitch and wanted to make a statement on Saturday, it's certainly gathered a lot more attention than previous as well. It's good to see people wanting to make a difference, what difference it will make who knows.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Jan 2024 08:56

YorkshireRoyal99 Fair play to those fans who went on the pitch and wanted to make a statement on Saturday, it's certainly gathered a lot more attention than previous as well. It's good to see people wanting to make a difference, what difference it will make who knows.

Would you have been on the pitch if you were there YR?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Jan 2024 08:59

For me its now really a case of do or die. By that i mean, Dai has to come out and make a statement, real commitment that he is selling the club, to confirm it is happening and the process is well underway. If there is silence this week, no statement along them lines, then i do really fear the worse for this club.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Jan 2024 09:02

Dai doesn't have to do anything, thats the issue.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Jan 2024 09:06

I was on the fence, but having seen the reaction over the past couple of days you have to say it worked. So much coverage and more to come on various national podcasts I believe. Will it influence Dai, the EFL or government? I'm not optimistic, but we had to raise the agenda which has been achieved.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Jan 2024 09:21

NathStPaul Dai doesn't have to do anything, thats the issue.

It's also now just pissing money up the wall for him. If he does have cash flow/liquidity issues, it doesn't make sense to keep hold of an asset that's costing you further. Which makes it even more bizarre.

In response to would I have been on the pitch, it depends who I was with. If I was with mates, then yes.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Jan 2024 09:24

YorkshireRoyal99

It's also now just pissing money up the wall for him. If he does have cash flow/liquidity issues, it doesn't make sense to keep hold of an asset that's costing you further. Which makes it even more bizarre.

In response to would I have been on the pitch, it depends who I was with. If I was with mates, then yes.

Whose money is it though? If it isn't his i.e a loan that he's never paying back he won't give a shit. I think he is in the scenario where he has multiple people after him in one way or another so he's just burying his head in the sand and hoping everyone goes away when he pops up for air.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Jan 2024 09:25

WestYorksRoyal I was on the fence, but having seen the reaction over the past couple of days you have to say it worked. So much coverage and more to come on various national podcasts I believe. Will it influence Dai, the EFL or government? I'm not optimistic, but we had to raise the agenda which has been achieved.

Yep - that is where i am . Come into work this morning, and spoken to alot of non football fans, football fans of other teams, and all were shocked with plight of club and did not realise. The biggest comment i am getting is the fact he has sent to other clubs to extinction, that is the real talking point and shock, making people realise that this is very real and serious.

So in terms of impact, taking note, on peoples agenda and mind, its worked.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2024 09:33

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99

Whose money is it though? If it isn't his i.e a loan that he's never paying back he won't give a shit. I think he is in the scenario where he has multiple people after him in one way or another so he's just burying his head in the sand and hoping everyone goes away when he pops up for air.

Very much this, if he has been financing the club using the proceeds of loans that aren't his, or proceeds from sales of those loans - then he literally gives zero oxf*rd and it may even be better for him to keep us going as a twitching corpse than pulling the plug or selling.

329 posts