Do you agree with todays pitch invasion and match abandonment?

329 posts

Do you approve of the pitch invasion and causing the match abandonment?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 135
72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Do you agree with todays pitch invasion and match abandonment?

by 72 bus » 16 Jan 2024 22:44

Hendo Problem with boycotts (Geoffrey and otherwise) is they're difficult to organise en-mass.

The message isn't going to get out to everyone and as such will limit it's impact.

The pitch invasion was organised en-mass over social media, it was known about well beforehand.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 16 Jan 2024 22:55

ozzygull I have had a banner made I hoping to get displayed at our Wolves game next Monday which is on TV.

I don't know how to upload an image but it says

Brighton Fans want Dia Yongge out
Save Reading FC
Fans United

It's a small gesture but I hope that if they see fans of other clubs care, it may help.

Thank you and I know Brighton fans had a terrible time for many years, but now have a really good club to support.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jan 2024 22:56

Lower West
Snowflake Royal
Lower West Only on social media will you find people publishing photographs of others committing a criminal offence. Dumb is an understatement.

Give over granddad.

Free speech son.

Works both ways Weird Uncle Pete.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jan 2024 23:00

72 bus
Hendo Problem with boycotts (Geoffrey and otherwise) is they're difficult to organise en-mass.

The message isn't going to get out to everyone and as such will limit it's impact.

The pitch invasion was organised en-mass over social media, it was known about well beforehand.

It also started as a few dozen people being brave and then turned into hundreds because it was in full view. Then dwindled to about 80.

Getting people to not turn up, or turn up or leave at a particular time is a bit harder.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Jan 2024 08:23

Snowflake Royal
72 bus

It also started as a few dozen people being brave and then turned into hundreds because it was in full view. Then dwindled to about 80.

Getting people to not turn up, or turn up or leave at a particular time is a bit harder.

Thought that was clearly obvious, but yeah ^^this.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Jan 2024 08:39

It was definitely organic, but there was a mood across social media and at the stadium. It was obvious that we only needed a dozen to kick it off and it would grow into something bigger.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Jan 2024 09:26

Snowflake Royal
Lower West
Snowflake Royal Give over granddad.

Free speech son.

Dumb actions result in consequences. Little point in shooting the messenger.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 17 Jan 2024 09:48

WestYorksRoyal It was definitely organic, but there was a mood across social media and at the stadium. It was obvious that we only needed a dozen to kick it off and it would grow into something bigger.

Difference is, you only needed 5% or 10% of the crowd to participate for the pitch invasion to work, and only once. For a boycott to work, it would really need to be a sizeable proportion of fans for a long period. And the club already has the money from the STHs, which would minimise the financial cost.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jan 2024 09:50

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
72 bus

Thought that was clearly obvious, but yeah ^^this.

It was, but you know, Bus.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Jan 2024 09:54

rabidbee
WestYorksRoyal It was definitely organic, but there was a mood across social media and at the stadium. It was obvious that we only needed a dozen to kick it off and it would grow into something bigger.

Difference is, you only needed 5% or 10% of the crowd to participate for the pitch invasion to work, and only once. For a boycott to work, it would really need to be a sizeable proportion of fans for a long period. And the club already has the money from the STHs, which would minimise the financial cost.

I think you underestimate our fanbase. Blackpool managed to achieve it. The main challenge would be communication beyond the twittersphere. We'd need to talk to local and national news outlets to spread the message. But anyone who still goes to matches will know how desperate our situation is and would likely support a boycott even we generate momentum.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jan 2024 09:55

Lower West
Snowflake Royal
Lower West
Free speech son.

There's really very little likelihood of criminal prosecution or even club bans.

There were 1000 people on the pitch. It's unmanageable, unnecessary and antagonistic.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Jan 2024 10:07

I believe the ex-Scunthorpe owner went down the route of banning everybody who protested against him. I don't think Dai or Pang care enough though.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 17 Jan 2024 10:41

Snowflake Royal
Lower West
Snowflake Royal Works both ways Weird Uncle Pete.

There's really very little likelihood of criminal prosecution or even club bans.

There were 1000 people on the pitch. It's unmanageable, unnecessary and antagonistic.

+1

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Jan 2024 10:57

WestYorksRoyal
rabidbee

I think you underestimate our fanbase. Blackpool managed to achieve it. The main challenge would be communication beyond the twittersphere. We'd need to talk to local and national news outlets to spread the message. But anyone who still goes to matches will know how desperate our situation is and would likely support a boycott even we generate momentum.

Boycotts take time to really take a hold - for them to be effective you need boycotters to be respectfully waiting outside the stadium and giving leaflets etc to those who are still going in to make it clear to them what is going on.

I lived in Brighton at the time the Goldstone was under threat and this is what happened there and whilst it took a few games, less and less people attended each passing game. You will always get some who want to attend irregardless and that has to be accepted as fine - it is personal choice, but if/when it gets to the stage where there are only say 2000 home fans in there, you may notice even those who swear they won't boycott suddenly do as it is no longer enjoyable being in there.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Jan 2024 11:06

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal
rabidbee Difference is, you only needed 5% or 10% of the crowd to participate for the pitch invasion to work, and only once. For a boycott to work, it would really need to be a sizeable proportion of fans for a long period. And the club already has the money from the STHs, which would minimise the financial cost.

Boycotts take time to really take a hold - for them to be effective you need boycotters to be respectfully waiting outside the stadium and giving leaflets etc to those who are still going in to make it clear to them what is going on.

I lived in Brighton at the time the Goldstone was under threat and this is what happened there and whilst it took a few games, less and less people attended each passing game. You will always get some who want to attend irregardless and that has to be accepted as fine - it is personal choice, but if/when it gets to the stage where there are only say 2000 home fans in there, you may notice even those who swear they won't boycott suddenly do as it is no longer enjoyable being in there.

Credit to all the recent players and management who spotted this early and have been successfully working towards a boycott over the last few seasons.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 17 Jan 2024 11:13

rabidbee

That money was spent down Les Ambassadeurs a long time ago.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 17 Jan 2024 12:15

The other problem with a boycott is that a lack of money in will just hurt the staff for more missed payments, points deductions for us, maybe more redundancies, and might cause a successful winding up order.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 17 Jan 2024 12:24

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal
rabidbee Difference is, you only needed 5% or 10% of the crowd to participate for the pitch invasion to work, and only once. For a boycott to work, it would really need to be a sizeable proportion of fans for a long period. And the club already has the money from the STHs, which would minimise the financial cost.

I’d boycott games if I thought it would do any good. However, a small part of my reason for going to games and against Wigan on Saturday is to see as many matches as possible before the club folds.

I might be over exaggerating the severity of our situation, but I obviously don’t know.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jan 2024 12:34

blythspartan
Stranded
WestYorksRoyal I think you underestimate our fanbase. Blackpool managed to achieve it. The main challenge would be communication beyond the twittersphere. We'd need to talk to local and national news outlets to spread the message. But anyone who still goes to matches will know how desperate our situation is and would likely support a boycott even we generate momentum.

I’d boycott games if I thought it would do any good. However, a small part of my reason for going to games and against Wigan on Saturday is to see as many matches as possible before the club folds.

I might be over exaggerating the severity of our situation, but I obviously don’t know.

I've been sort of boycotting games for a while now.

Part of it is convenience for sure, and a teensy bit cost.

But I'm mostly not attending whilst we're a shambles. Would have got a ST this season if profect rebuild had been on. But Dai ripped that up.

However, I'm still putting money in the club's pockets through RoyalsTV, so I am still contributing to the running of the club.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 17 Jan 2024 12:49

tmesis The other problem with a boycott is that a lack of money in will just hurt the staff for more missed payments, points deductions for us, maybe more redundancies, and might cause a successful winding up order.

I suspect this is what the club statement is referring to with regard to impact on staff. The non season ticket sales revenue from Port Vale is probably around £50k less costs such as stewards etc. that goes a long way towards paying non football related staff for the month. At best it might mean them being paid late again. At worst it means more redundancies. The only short term solution then becomes player sales.
All said and done the Port Vale abandonment was the right thing to do. Another abandonment would hurt all of the wrong people in all likelihood.

329 posts