Do you agree with todays pitch invasion and match abandonment?

329 posts

Do you approve of the pitch invasion and causing the match abandonment?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 135
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Do you agree with todays pitch invasion and match abandonment?

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Jan 2024 09:38

Stranded
NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
It's also now just pissing money up the wall for him. If he does have cash flow/liquidity issues, it doesn't make sense to keep hold of an asset that's costing you further. Which makes it even more bizarre.

In response to would I have been on the pitch, it depends who I was with. If I was with mates, then yes.

Whose money is it though? If it isn't his i.e a loan that he's never paying back he won't give a shit. I think he is in the scenario where he has multiple people after him in one way or another so he's just burying his head in the sand and hoping everyone goes away when he pops up for air.

Very much this, if he has been financing the club using the proceeds of loans that aren't his, or proceeds from sales of those loans - then he literally gives zero oxf*rd and it may even be better for him to keep us going as a twitching corpse than pulling the plug or selling.

That would pretty much be money laundering which would give the government grounds to intervene. Sadly I expect he's structured it all so it falls into the grey area between immoral and illegal.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2024 09:44

WestYorksRoyal
Stranded
NathStPaul Whose money is it though? If it isn't his i.e a loan that he's never paying back he won't give a shit. I think he is in the scenario where he has multiple people after him in one way or another so he's just burying his head in the sand and hoping everyone goes away when he pops up for air.

Very much this, if he has been financing the club using the proceeds of loans that aren't his, or proceeds from sales of those loans - then he literally gives zero oxf*rd and it may even be better for him to keep us going as a twitching corpse than pulling the plug or selling.

That would pretty much be money laundering which would give the government grounds to intervene. Sadly I expect he's structured it all so it falls into the grey area between immoral and illegal.

He may well not be the sharpest tool in the box but I imagine he employs some very smart people.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 15 Jan 2024 09:53

AthleticoSpizz Schards drove a 200 mile round trip (from Wootton Bassett :shock: ) today, according to his cameo on BBCRB this evening. Nice to hear an old ‘nobber still alive tbf

HA HA I realised this was Schards as well.

Must have taken a wrong turning at some point :lol:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Jan 2024 10:21

ozzygull ....
As my username suggests I am a Brighton fan. I happen to live in Reading. In 1996 after hearing that our ground was to be sold (asset stripping) leaving us with nowhere to play,

(Edited for brevity)

Hi Ozzygull - don't worry, I know all about your struggles (and was personally involved in quite a few of them - happy to discuss in more detail by PM).

Ultimately, though, your move to Falmer was made possible by a political decision, when Prescott overrode the objections of Falmer Council and granted planning permission. That was a political solution, reached after long, drawn out and targeted political campaigning (e.g. the "postcards to Prescott" campaign, IIRC).

Political capital was gained by Brighton campaigners acting in responsible, creative and constructive ways, which is the only way to positively influence politicians and football administrators. They tend to respond badly to what they see as "mobs" getting matches abandoned.

In the same way, the only two ways out of this are Dai doing the right thing and selling (which I think is made less likely by giving him global bad publicity. The Chinese way is to shut up shop and not co-operate when you're facing criticism) or to reach a political solution, which, like yours, will be a long, drawn-out thing to achieve.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 15 Jan 2024 10:23

AthleticoSpizz Schards drove a 200 mile round trip (from Wootton Bassett :shock: ) today, according to his cameo on BBCRB this evening. Nice to hear an old ‘nobber still alive tbf

Ha ha! Got a bit carried away there!

As I said, I don't think the protest will change Dai Yongge's thinking, I doubt he'll even know about it but it will have a negative effect with the EFL and put players off staying. That said, it has certainly generated huge publicity so who knows.

It also concerns me that the protest may put off a potential new owner who doesn't like controversy. FWIW I would suggest the next protest is a positive one to show to a new owner what potential the club has.

The next Saturday home game is Orient by which time it looks like the squad will have been ravaged and relegation will be a virtual certainty. What a great message it would send to potential new owners if, even in these circumstances, we could fill the stadium and get behind what's left of the team.

We all know that had we got to the EFL Trophy final we would have sold 30,000-40,000 tickets so it's possible. Tell all the casuals you know, the club is dying and needs your help, use it or lose it. A positive message that could also be sold to the media and will also help the team.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 15 Jan 2024 10:25

LWJ

HA HA I realised this was Schards as well.

Must have taken a wrong turning at some point :lol:

I picked my bro' up on the way!

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 Jan 2024 10:28

Schards#2

Ha ha! Got a bit carried away there!

As I said, I don't think the protest will change Dai Yongge's thinking, I doubt he'll even know about it but it will have a negative effect with the EFL and put players off staying. That said, it has certainly generated huge publicity so who knows.

It also concerns me that the protest may put off a potential new owner who doesn't like controversy. FWIW I would suggest the next protest is a positive one to show to a new owner what potential the club has.

The next Saturday home game is Orient by which time it looks like the squad will have been ravaged and relegation will be a virtual certainty. What a great message it would send to potential new owners if, even in these circumstances, we could fill the stadium and get behind what's left of the team.

We all know that had we got to the EFL Trophy final we would have sold 30,000-40,000 tickets so it's possible. Tell all the casuals you know, the club is dying and needs your help, use it or lose it. A positive message that could also be sold to the media and will also help the team.

Any prospective new owner is not going to be put off because of this pitch invasion :|

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Jan 2024 10:49

We got time on TalkSport. Why is Simon Jordan allowed to issue his stupid opinions on matters such as this, given he led Palace into administration?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Jan 2024 10:57

I agree we need to protest
I'm not against a pitch invasion and leaning towards agreeing with it
I'm not in favour protests causing match abandonments
I respect those who felt this course of action was required and took action accordingly

I work for a Chinese owned company and everyone is talking about the pitch invasion this morning, I doubt that will flow up the ladder and reach China but it's generated publicity for sure, although plenty don't seem to understand what it was about or why and liken it to football hooliganism

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 15 Jan 2024 11:33

WestYorksRoyal We got time on TalkSport. Why is Simon Jordan allowed to issue his stupid opinions on matters such as this, given he led Palace into administration?

Jesus....Jordan is odious. Accusing the fans of being happy at the time Dai was pissing money up the wall on players. I seem to remember everyone on here was querying the spending and wondering about FFP and there were red flags all over the place. Seems to be lumping us in with PL fans.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Jan 2024 11:56

Ascotexgunner
WestYorksRoyal We got time on TalkSport. Why is Simon Jordan allowed to issue his stupid opinions on matters such as this, given he led Palace into administration?

Jesus....Jordan is odious. Accusing the fans of being happy at the time Dai was pissing money up the wall on players. I seem to remember everyone on here was querying the spending and wondering about FFP and there were red flags all over the place. Seems to be lumping us in with PL fans.
The only person happy with Dai pissing money up the wall on rubbish players was Kia Joorabchian and his accountant.

ozzygull

by ozzygull » 15 Jan 2024 15:08

Dirk Gently
ozzygull ....
As my username suggests I am a Brighton fan. I happen to live in Reading. In 1996 after hearing that our ground was to be sold (asset stripping) leaving us with nowhere to play,

(Edited for brevity)

Hi Ozzygull - don't worry, I know all about your struggles (and was personally involved in quite a few of them - happy to discuss in more detail by PM).

Ultimately, though, your move to Falmer was made possible by a political decision, when Prescott overrode the objections of Falmer Council and granted planning permission. That was a political solution, reached after long, drawn out and targeted political campaigning (e.g. the "postcards to Prescott" campaign, IIRC).

Political capital was gained by Brighton campaigners acting in responsible, creative and constructive ways, which is the only way to positively influence politicians and football administrators. They tend to respond badly to what they see as "mobs" getting matches abandoned.

In the same way, the only two ways out of this are Dai doing the right thing and selling (which I think is made less likely by giving him global bad publicity. The Chinese way is to shut up shop and not co-operate when you're facing criticism) or to reach a political solution, which, like yours, will be a long, drawn-out thing to achieve.

Our problems started when Bill Archer and Greg Stanley, who owned Focus DIY, bought the club in 1993, for £56.25 saying they were going to pay of our debts, but their real intentions was always to sell the Goldstone for a profit. The protests to get rid of them were not pleasant, we targeted their DIY shops, telling people to boycott them, trpis to Archer's house in Mellor and multiple pitch invasions. They didn't care, they sold the club after they sold the Goldstone. I am not sure people understand why if we lost to Hereford it would have been the end of Brighton and Hove Albion as lots of other clubs have dropped out the league and returned. It is because the National League at the time did not allow ground sharing, with no ground it meant oblivion.

Once the club was taken over by Dick Knight and we managed to get back to Brighton in a stadium, all be it a temproary one (12 years) We knew the protests for planning permission for our new stadium needed to be differnt, Inventive, good humoured and prolonged.
Dick knight and Marin Perry did a fantasic job keeping the club afloat while all this was going on. The one thing that has continued since Tony Bloom took over is the communication with the fans. We don't know the exact details but we do know how our club is run and it's policies. It is why you don't hear Brighton fans complaining when we sell our best players, we understand why and have 100% trust in the chairman.

Unfortunatly the chap that owns Reading is even harder to get at then Archer and Stanley. I think it may take government intervention If he continues to be stubborn, this is why fans from other clubs are needed and as many big profile names you can get to be involved, not just Reading fans. This govemnet does Sweet FA unless they feel it can affect their public image.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Jan 2024 15:14

ozzygull
Dirk Gently
ozzygull ....

(Edited for brevity)

Our problems started when Bill Archer and Greg Stanley, who owned Focus DIY, bought the club in 1993, for £56.25 saying they were going to pay of our debts, but their real intentions was always to sell the Goldstone for a profit. The protests to get rid of them were not pleasant, we targeted their DIY shops, telling people to boycott them, trpis to Archer's house in Mellor and multiple pitch invasions. They didn't care, they sold the club after they sold the Goldstone. I am not sure people understand why if we lost to Hereford it would have been the end of Brighton and Hove Albion as lots of other clubs have dropped out the league and returned. It is because the National League at the time did not allow ground sharing, with no ground it meant oblivion.

Once the club was taken over by Dick Knight and we managed to get back to Brighton in a stadium, all be it a temproary one (12 years) We knew the protests for planning permission for our new stadium needed to be differnt, Inventive, good humoured and prolonged.
Dick knight and Marin Perry did a fantasic job keeping the club afloat while all this was going on. The one thing that has continued since Tony Bloom took over is the communication with the fans. We don't know the exact details but we do know how our club is run and it's policies. It is why you don't hear Brighton fans complaining when we sell our best players, we understand why and have 100% trust in the chairman.

Unfortunatly the chap that owns Reading is even harder to get at then Archer and Stanley. I think it may take government intervention If he continues to be stubborn, this is why fans from other clubs are needed and as many big profile names you can get to be involved, not just Reading fans. This govemnet does Sweet FA unless they feel it can affect their public image.

Yep. I've marched along Brighton seafront with the best of them, and stood on the steps of York Minster in the pouring rain alongside two coachloads of Brighton fans at York's "Fans United" day so I'm well versed in the history of it all.

But, as you say, ultimately protests have to be targetted and specific to meet those who can affect change.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Jan 2024 15:21

Dirk Gently
ozzygull
Dirk Gently
(Edited for brevity)

Yep. I've marched along Brighton seafront with the best of them, and stood on the steps of York Minster in the pouring rain alongside two coachloads of Brighton fans at York's "Fans United" day so I'm well versed in the history of it all.

But, as you say, ultimately protests have to be targetted and specific to meet those who can affect change.

I fear it won't happen to us. The key with Brighton is that the owner sold, while our owner is lying to us when he says he will. Bury's owner rejected several offers before it ended; he lost out big time and tried to sue the EFL for their expulsion, to no avail.

It's great what Brighton have done and they do offer hope, but only if we can get rid of this guy for which, let's be honest, we're out of ideas.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Jan 2024 15:26

WestYorksRoyal
Dirk Gently
ozzygull

I fear it won't happen to us. The key with Brighton is that the owner sold, while our owner is lying to us when he says he will. Bury's owner rejected several offers before it ended; he lost out big time and tried to sue the EFL for their expulsion, to no avail.

It's great what Brighton have done and they do offer hope, but only if we can get rid of this guy for which, let's be honest, we're out of ideas.

Sarcasm day where we all sing the praises of Mr Dai and plead with him not to sell?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Jan 2024 15:29

Sutekh
WestYorksRoyal
Dirk Gently

Sarcasm day where we all sing the praises of Mr Dai and plead with him not to sell?

Maybe there's something to be said for it. The unpalatable fact is that to survive we need his goodwill and co-operation. It's as simple as that.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Jan 2024 15:38

Some pics of the pitch invasion I took on Saturday - thought there would be more on here.

ozzygull

by ozzygull » 15 Jan 2024 15:40

WestYorksRoyal

They may have sold us but it was not until they got what they wanted, The only thing you can do is keep going and don't let it slip out of people's consciousness, whoever's got the ability to change the situation is who you need to target.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 Jan 2024 15:43

Hendo Some pics of the pitch invasion I took on Saturday - thought there would be more on here.

oh, you're a eaststander...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Jan 2024 15:49

ozzygull
WestYorksRoyal

They may have sold us but it was not until they got what they wanted, The only thing you can do is keep going and don't let it slip out of people's consciousness, whoever's got the ability to change the situation is who you need to target.

Might the Archer/Stanley takeover now be argued as the best thing that happened to Brighton in a perverse way as it brought all the support together and consolidated it into one goal quite quickly whereas without it the club would have been bumbling along at the Goldstone and not have had the obvious inequities of no ground and then the Withdean to keep the focus (if you pardon the pun) very much on the persuasion of the government of the day?

329 posts