Do you agree with todays pitch invasion and match abandonment?

329 posts

Do you approve of the pitch invasion and causing the match abandonment?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 135
MartinRdg

Re: Do you agree with todays pitch invasion and match abandonment?

by MartinRdg » 17 Jan 2024 13:44

OLLIE KEARNS
tmesis The other problem with a boycott is that a lack of money in will just hurt the staff for more missed payments, points deductions for us, maybe more redundancies, and might cause a successful winding up order.

I suspect this is what the club statement is referring to with regard to impact on staff. The non season ticket sales revenue from Port Vale is probably around £50k less costs such as stewards etc. that goes a long way towards paying non football related staff for the month. At best it might mean them being paid late again. At worst it means more redundancies. The only short term solution then becomes player sales.
All said and done the Port Vale abandonment was the right thing to do. Another abandonment would hurt all of the wrong people in all likelihood.

Maybe just a boycott for the first 15 minutes of the match then?

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 17 Jan 2024 13:45

OLLIE KEARNS
tmesis The other problem with a boycott is that a lack of money in will just hurt the staff for more missed payments, points deductions for us, maybe more redundancies, and might cause a successful winding up order.

I suspect this is what the club statement is referring to with regard to impact on staff. The non season ticket sales revenue from Port Vale is probably around £50k less costs such as stewards etc. that goes a long way towards paying non football related staff for the month. At best it might mean them being paid late again. At worst it means more redundancies. The only short term solution then becomes player sales.
All said and done the Port Vale abandonment was the right thing to do. Another abandonment would hurt all of the wrong people in all likelihood.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 17 Jan 2024 14:10

MartinRdg
OLLIE KEARNS

My point was more about abandonment but the one time ticket purchases (new cashflow) are going to be impacted by the risk of disruption of any kind. I’ve rallied a few mates to come to the Derby game and they’re all asking me to guarantee that the game won’t be abandoned :-) I’ve promised them half price beer (don’t think they’ve been to The Hope Tap before!) if they don’t get to see any football.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 17 Jan 2024 15:14

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 17 Jan 2024 15:14

OLLIE KEARNS
MartinRdg
OLLIE KEARNS

My point was more about abandonment but the one time ticket purchases (new cashflow) are going to be impacted by the risk of disruption of any kind. I’ve rallied a few mates to come to the Derby game and they’re all asking me to guarantee that the game won’t be abandoned :-) I’ve promised them half price beer (don’t think they’ve been to The Hope Tap before!) if they don’t get to see any football.

Back of beyond > the hope tap

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 23 Jan 2024 17:08

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2024/j ... -replayed/

Following the abandonment of our home fixture vs Port Vale, the EFL have issued a suspended 3-point penalty against Reading Football Club, which shall automatically be triggered should any home or away match be abandoned due to crowd behaviour. This penalty shall be in place for 18-months, expiring upon the conclusion of the 2024-25 season.

The club can also confirm it has been contacted by the FA, requesting our detailed observations of the events which led to Saturday’s forced abandonment. The FA investigation is an ongoing matter and may result in serious implications, and possibly a very significant financial penalty for the club. The club will work collaboratively with the FA during this investigation and will communicate with our supporters once any decision is made.

Furthermore, The EFL have also ruled that the Port Vale fixture shall be replayed in full – with the new date already being confirmed as Tuesday 20th February, 8pm.

We recognise many fans purchased tickets for the original fixture and can confirm the following options will apply:

Keep your tickets for new Port Vale date – your ticket will automatically be valid for the rescheduled fixture of 20th February. No action is required if you wish to take this option.

Switch your ticket to another 2023-24 season home match. No extra charges will apply and supporters can make these arrangements by contacting the ticket office.

For fans who cannot attend the Port Vale fixture and do not wish to attend another home match this season, they can arrange a full refund by contacting the ticket office.
All requests to move tickets or collect a refund must be made by 5pm Monday 19th February by emailing sales@readingfc.co.uk with details of the original transaction. Any requests after this date we will be unable to process. Please note that our small ticket office team will work as quickly as possible but request patience whilst we work through these requests.

Unfortunately, the club is unable to refund any supporters car parking, travel, accommodation or subsistence costs related to the original Port Vale fixture.

For hospitality ticket holders, the hospitality team will contact you directly regarding the options available.

For season ticket holders, your ticket will automatically be activated for the new fixture date. No action is required.

Visiting supporters who had tickets for this match should visit www.port-vale.co.uk for more information.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 23 Jan 2024 17:12

I'll await the apologies from all those saying I was wrong for suggesting the game would be replayed rather than Port Vale awarded the points

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Jan 2024 17:22

I will LOL if fans invade the pitch again and it's abandoned!

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 23 Jan 2024 17:39

Winston Biscuit I will LOL if fans invade the pitch again and it's abandoned!

I'm sure at least one fan will try, then realise he looks a bit stupid with nobody joining him, and will run off again.

Just had a flashback to one tubby 'hooligan' at Plymouth running across the pitch towards the Reading fans at Home Park in 1994, getting to about the penalty area before realing that rather than leading a charge, he was completely on his own.

329 posts