Did the protest do what it intended?

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

Did the protest do what it intended?

by The Royal Forester » 14 Jan 2024 14:48

The objective of yesterday's protest was to gain publicity. Did it, in your view work? Where was it "in the news" or where it wasn't. On the plus side on the BBC's website it it on the football section front page with a link to a lengthy article. On the minus side it was not on the Main News or the Sports News just after ten last night. Let us know your thoughts and for those on here who are abroad, did any media run the story in your neck of the woods?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Did the protest do what it intended?

by NathStPaul » 14 Jan 2024 14:49

Did this really require a new thread?

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 14 Jan 2024 15:02

NathStPaul Did this really require a new thread?

I just knew you would be the first to repond, with you usual negative view on most (if not all) new threads.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 14 Jan 2024 15:03

Brogue will get upset if we use threads that they didn't start.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 14 Jan 2024 15:04

Elm Park Kid Brogue will get upset if we use threads that they didn't start.

Brogue is the designated thread starter and news giver here. Everyone knows that.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 14 Jan 2024 15:05

The Royal Forester

I just knew you would be the first to repond, with you usual negative view on most (if not all) new threads.

There is a perfectly good thread in place about yesterday's protest. You just want attention.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 14 Jan 2024 15:13

NathStPaul
The Royal Forester

There is a perfectly good thread in place about yesterday's protest. You just want attention.

I've it all now! You calling someone else an attention seeker. Talk about a pot calling a kettle black.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 14 Jan 2024 15:13

The Royal Forester
NathStPaul
The Royal Forester I just knew you would be the first to repond, with you usual negative view on most (if not all) new threads.

I've heard it all now! You calling someone else an attention seeker. Talk about a pot calling a kettle black.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 14 Jan 2024 15:25

I am actually surprised at how much coverage it's got tbh. Much more than I thought it would.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 14 Jan 2024 15:40

Keeping what is a valid question on track. Yes, I believe it was successful. The mainstream media outlets appear to have reported it widely and any publicity at this point is good publicity.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Jan 2024 15:54

We've already talked about this on the other thread. It got a lot of public attention including international coverage so the answer is yes

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 14 Jan 2024 15:57

The protest and abandonment got a lot of coverage. Detail behind the club's situation, much less.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 14 Jan 2024 16:07

Yes, I believe it has. We have had media attention and support from other fans. Plus, it was good to see Jeff Stelling calling out Sky for not making us the biggest story of the day.

Sadly, I don’t think it’ll will change the final outcome as I’ll be surprised if we start the 24/25 season. For me, it’s all about going down fighting. Years ago, I tried to give a good mate CPR on the football pitch. I knew it was pointless, but I had to try.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Jan 2024 16:18

Will be looking to see if there's any coverage on talkbollox on Monday, particularly with thingy and Jordan in the morning. Hoping that R5L also given further mention. Perhaps HITC channel on YT might do a follow up video at some point unless one of the SBWD group can get in first.

BTW are STAR supportive of yesterday's shenanigans?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Jan 2024 17:03

As I've posted elsewhere, I think it would have been much more effective and impressive to go on for 10 minutes, then all get up and go back to the stands and let the game go on.

That would have given the perception of an organised and co-ordinated group who knew what they were doing and wanted to protest in a way that didn't impact the club, rather than a disorganised group determined to stop the match and impact the club through FA fines and a (suspended?) points deduction.

The pre-publicity about a pitch invasion at the end and the reality of what actually happened isn't a good look.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 14 Jan 2024 17:21

Dirk Gently As I've posted elsewhere, I think it would have been much more effective and impressive to go on for 10 minutes, then all get up and go back to the stands and let the game go on.

That would have given the perception of an organised and co-ordinated group who knew what they were doing and wanted to protest in a way that didn't impact the club, rather than a disorganised group determined to stop the match and impact the club through FA fines and a (suspended?) points deduction.

The pre-publicity about a pitch invasion at the end and the reality of what actually happened isn't a good look.

We're way past looking good.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 14 Jan 2024 17:22

Dirk Gently As I've posted elsewhere, I think it would have been much more effective and impressive to go on for 10 minutes, then all get up and go back to the stands and let the game go on.

The 3 or 4 people running SBWD attempted to turn a planned pitch invasion during the match into a post-match pitch invasion.
And were rightfully ignored.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 14 Jan 2024 17:43

I think the fact that the game was abandoned made it get much more publicity. A 10 minute delay would barely have got a mention give that we've delayed numerous games this season already.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 14 Jan 2024 17:56

tmesis

I think the fact that the game was abandoned made it get much more publicity. A 10 minute delay would barely have got a mention give that we've delayed numerous games this season already.

Exactly this. The publicity we got from an abandoned game is immense. Whether or not it'll make a difference of course remains to be seen but at this stage in the game (excuse the pun) anything has to be better than doing nothing. https://www.google.com/search?q=reading ... UTF-8#ip=1

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 14 Jan 2024 18:04

The abandonment is making the headlines because the game didn't continue. It also leaves questions what happens next if things remain as they are or gets worse.

Hopefully it'll spring the EFL into action. After all, Dai hasn't done what he promised to again and deposit wages on 12th.