MATCHWATCH : Derby County (h)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: MATCHWATCH : Derby County (h)

by RoyalBlue » 24 Jan 2024 17:28

South Coast Royal In Ian's absence I will make a rare substitute appearance.
A strange but entertaining game where I don't remember either keeper making a save which is rare in any game of football.

Their keeper had the shot from Azeez that cannoned back out off his chest but none of our players were quick/close enough to capitalise.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 24 Jan 2024 18:43

Picky RB, but great to hear from you here ‘Vic’ even if it’s only a fleeting glance (hope all is well)

Ian….your absence had us worried…….weeeellll.

purleyroyal

by purleyroyal » 24 Jan 2024 21:46

PieEater
A mention for the ref, I thought he did well despite giving 14 fouls to Derby compared to our 2, Derby's game plan seemed to be to win a free kick and nick a goal from a set piece, the ref resisted awarding a lot of soft fouls they played for. ….

Entirely agree - I thought the ref had a really good game, letting things flow and only blowing up for the really blatant fouls.
I was a little worried when he called Mbengue over in the second half but sensibly gave him just a talking to - but what happened at the end when he was manhandled by the Derby chap?
And a word for the linesman who was alert enough to catch Derby offside several times in the first half even if he also caught Smith in the second half!

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 24 Jan 2024 22:57

purleyroyal
PieEater
A mention for the ref, I thought he did well despite giving 14 fouls to Derby compared to our 2, Derby's game plan seemed to be to win a free kick and nick a goal from a set piece, the ref resisted awarding a lot of soft fouls they played for. ….

Entirely agree - I thought the ref had a really good game, letting things flow and only blowing up for the really blatant fouls.
I was a little worried when he called Mbengue over in the second half but sensibly gave him just a talking to - but what happened at the end when he was manhandled by the Derby chap?
And a word for the linesman who was alert enough to catch Derby offside several times in the first half even if he also caught Smith in the second half!

Officials were excellent. Credit where credit is due.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 25 Jan 2024 00:50

purleyroyal Entirely agree - I thought the ref had a really good game... but what happened at the end when he was manhandled by the Derby chap?

It looked to me like he put himself between the two players and the Derby guy shoved him away backhand as he was turning to face him, then realised who it was. "Get the oxf*rd o...ooh."

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 25 Jan 2024 06:45

Attendance 9914

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 25 Jan 2024 07:32

Royals and Racers Attendance 9914

Not massively surprising given our home attendances on Tuesday nights, especially in recent years. Does probably represent a decline in home support since the start of the season, given Derby brought ~2,000.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 25 Jan 2024 07:36

Clyde1998

Not massively surprising given our home attendances on Tuesday nights, especially in recent years. Does probably represent a decline in home support since the start of the season, given Derby brought ~2,000.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the chance of another possible abandonment put some fans off.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jan 2024 08:40

blythspartan
Clyde1998

I wouldn’t be surprised if the chance of another possible abandonment put some fans off.

Midweek game in Jan, first game after the abandonment against the team who could go top and most assumed would turn us over, another home game on Saturday afternoon - not school holidays either and most people probably still waiting for pay day as money tight after Xmas - not really surprising it was a small turn out.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 25 Jan 2024 11:28

AthleticoSpizz Picky RB, but great to hear from you here ‘Vic’ even if it’s only a fleeting glance (hope all is well)

Ian….your absence had us worried…….weeeellll.

:D :wink:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Jan 2024 11:53

Armadillo Roadkill
purleyroyal
PieEater

Officials were excellent. Credit where credit is due.

They were the best we've seen for some time.

Ref did well to allow the game to flow & not blow for physical but fair challenges. The game was much more exciting for it with both teams able to benefit with fast counter-attacks. He also did well not to be duped by the theatrics from some of the Derby players. I do, however, think they should have taken action against the clear & blatant dissent displayed by Derby players at points during the game. The two worst were the manhandling of the ref at the end and a torrent of sustained abuse directed at close range to the AR on the East Stand side by their number 6, again towards the latter stages of the game.

To balance things out, I also think the ref allowed Button in particular to get away with murder in terms of timewasting. I lost count of how many 'hurry ups' and warnings he gave him.