Strikers

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Delboy

Strikers

by Delboy » 21 Jan 2024 11:29

If we are to survive in this division, bearing in mind we play 5 of the top 6 away , we need more strike power. Squad is short of numbers will a sympathetic premier or championship club loan us another Ballard ?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Strikers

by windermereROYAL » 21 Jan 2024 11:36

Any striker would need his head examined to come to this car crash of a club.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2024 12:37

Forget the top 6/8. Any point from them is a bonus.

Don't lose to the teams immediately below and above us, beating a few and pick up points from the middle pack and it would be good enough.

Safe to say there's basically no chance of us bringing anyone in. And tbh, if we did it would be a peetty bad look for the club.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 21 Jan 2024 12:52

Would need to be on loan with no fee and no wages. So unlikely. Plus we only play one up top. So we are either looking for someone to displace Smith. It’s extremely unlikely we would get a striker in on those terms that would be better than smith. So we are looking at a back up striker. And it’s extremely unlikely we would get someone who is just coming to sit in the bench if we are not paying wages or a loan fee. As the loaning club would only do it on those sort of terms if there was going to development opportunities for the player. So in short no, I can’t see anyone coming in.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Jan 2024 13:17

I am pretty sure last Thursday that one of the journos tweeted Selles saying they were discussing incomings with the EFL. That was probably related to Holmes being loaned back to us by Luton though.

No way can I see us signing anyone tbh. I am fully expecting Smith, Knibbs and Wing to depart before the end of the window.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 21 Jan 2024 15:01

blythspartan I am pretty sure last Thursday that one of the journos tweeted Selles saying they were discussing incomings with the EFL. That was probably related to Holmes being loaned back to us by Luton though.

No way can I see us signing anyone tbh. I am fully expecting Smith, Knibbs and Wing to depart before the end of the window.

Smith might be the least likely. He's almost 26, so he'll have been pretty thoroughly scouted by now, and there's not a lot to suggest he'd be an obvious target for a Championship club, and few League One clubs pay fees now.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jan 2024 17:51

Maybe it doesn't have to be directly a CF but someone else who can contribute some goals to our team. Smith is the obvious one of course, Knibbs chips in and so does Azeez (hoping it's not just a purple patch though) however Mukairu doesn't offer a goal threat from his position, at least Ballard did (although most of his goals were in the cups). If we could snap up someone like a Ballard, that would be more than ideal, although given our situation it's virtually not going to happen.

Not sure where Camara has gone and whether someone like Okine-Peters or Akande are up to it yet from that side either in the U23's.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Jan 2024 18:21

tmesis
blythspartan I am pretty sure last Thursday that one of the journos tweeted Selles saying they were discussing incomings with the EFL. That was probably related to Holmes being loaned back to us by Luton though.

Smith might be the least likely. He's almost 26, so he'll have been pretty thoroughly scouted by now, and there's not a lot to suggest he'd be an obvious target for a Championship club, and few League One clubs pay fees now.

Wing is 28, and it feels like if he didn't have better offers when he was available on a free then he probably won't get any now he's under contract.

Even Knibbs, it's worth saying, is only e year younger than Smith. OK, he doesn't have the Man United/Reading pedigree of Smith, but he's not some Vickers-like figure who will have surprised people.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Jan 2024 15:44

windermereROYAL Any human would need his head examined to come to this car crash of a club.

CFY

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1