MATCHWATCH : Leyton Orient (h)

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Leyton Orient (h)

by Clyde1998 » 28 Jan 2024 06:33

Royals and Racers 15,972 attendance.

Easily the highest of the season and a full 1,000 higher than my final pre-match estimate. Would be interesting to see how many Leyton Orient fans turned up as it looked a bit over 2,000.

The bus to the game was much busier and the North Stand appeared to be much fuller than usual - so it does match with a higher attendance.

I couldn’t see any obvious ticket offers for this game (like kid for a quid), so it’s a bit of a mystery why this game in particular had such a good attendance (relatively).

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Jan 2024 08:42

leon
AthleticoSpizz
leon Thought we were terrible. Started well got progressively worse. Absolutely nothing second half. Very disappointing.
an assessment that you must’ve been told of yourself once or twice Leon? :)

Not really Spizz. I know how to pleasure a woman. And I can plaster so I think I’ve got all bases covered

Quality answer

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Jan 2024 10:15

Snowball
leon
AthleticoSpizz an assessment that you must’ve been told of yourself once or twice Leon? :)

Not really Spizz. I know how to pleasure a woman. And I can plaster so I think I’ve got all bases covered

Quality answer
yeah, mmmmmm “plaster” you say?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Jan 2024 12:26

AthleticoSpizz
Snowball
leon

Quality answer
yeah, mmmmmm “plaster” you say?

you know exactly what I mean you dirty minx

scumbag

by scumbag » 28 Jan 2024 15:37

Impressive atmosphere on Saturday and a good match day experience. I liked how all 4 stands were making noise together even when we went 0-1 down. Got to give 1871 their dues as it never used to be as consistent as yesterday.

Jinx

by Jinx » 28 Jan 2024 16:35

Clyde1998

Easily the highest of the season and a full 1,000 higher than my final pre-match estimate. Would be interesting to see how many Leyton Orient fans turned up as it looked a bit over 2,000.

The bus to the game was much busier and the North Stand appeared to be much fuller than usual - so it does match with a higher attendance.

I couldn’t see any obvious ticket offers for this game (like kid for a quid), so it’s a bit of a mystery why this game in particular had such a good attendance (relatively).

There was a kids for a quid thing - my niece's little lad attended his first ever match (and loved it) and some of his mates were there too

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Jan 2024 00:12

Jinx
Clyde1998

There was a kids for a quid thing - my niece's little lad attended his first ever match (and loved it) and some of his mates were there too

That's how you build a base and a future. Parents and kids. They should be offering kfaq every home game from now on.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 Jan 2024 06:55

leon
Jinx
Clyde1998 Easily the highest of the season and a full 1,000 higher than my final pre-match estimate. Would be interesting to see how many Leyton Orient fans turned up as it looked a bit over 2,000.

That's how you build a base and a future. Parents and kids. They should be offering kfaq every home game from now on.

Any club unlikely to fill more than 75% of the seats should do it every time. It seems such an obvious move to me. More full-paying adults will go as a result, and then be persuaded by the kids to go more often. And then, as you say, it builds a base for the future.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 29 Jan 2024 08:15

Royal Rother
leon
Jinx

Any club unlikely to fill more than 75% of the seats should do it every time. It seems such an obvious move to me. More full-paying adults will go as a result, and then be persuaded by the kids to go more often. And then, as you say, it builds a base for the future.

Agreed. You'll also increase the number of people who'll purchase food, drink and merchandise at each game, as well as hopefully locking the kids down to supporting Reading in the long term instead of 'supporting' Man Utd/Arsenal/etc.

You get a short term and long term benefit from it: my first game was kfaq, I believe, when I was five. Ended up going on someone in our group's season ticket for at least four matches and went to my first away game that season following that. Had a season ticket ever since. I'm towards the extreme end of the scale, as that's also dependant on the parent's (or trusted adult's) ability to go to matches, but it certainly locked me down to supporting Reading - especially at a time when basically no-one at my school supported Reading (to the point it was seen as a joke to support a non-Premiership side).

Should absolutely be considered as a permanent thing - at least for next season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2024 08:48

Was thinking the same but trying to think of counter arguments as to why they don’t

Would people just get bored of it and crowds just go back to normal days? Not sure they would

Guess they’d lose out on season tickets maybe where it is a quid a game. Arguably I might not have renewed myself if the kids got in for £1 each game anyway. Not sure…

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Jan 2024 08:55

Seemed a good atmosphere throughout the game, I know it's not their longest journey of the season but I didn't realise they were as well supported as they were either on their travels.

Seemed like we did quite well in the first half but fell away as the second half wore on. I don't think it's the worst point in the world, just disappointing not to win a winnable home game.

Over the next 4/5 games if we can just continue to claw our way back into the very tight group just above us, I think we will be ok. A lot of teams are looking over their shoulders at the moment.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jan 2024 09:07

Hound Was thinking the same but trying to think of counter arguments as to why they don’t

Would people just get bored of it and crowds just go back to normal days? Not sure they would

Guess they’d lose out on season tickets maybe where it is a quid a game. Arguably I might not have renewed myself if the kids got in for £1 each game anyway. Not sure…

Kid for a quid probably pointless for midweek games but they could certainly tier its availability based on a number of factors and tweak as the season goes on.

Can judge the number worth doing based on ST sales, average attendance, league position etc - could even just offer packages - 5 for a fiver, where you can pick and choose which games you want to go to with the kid(s) - subject to availability.

You could even just make the ED Stand permanently kid for a quid (if thats allowed) and charge normal prices elsewhere - try and fill up that end.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 29 Jan 2024 09:12

Hound Was thinking the same but trying to think of counter arguments as to why they don’t

Season tickets would have to be structured to make kfaq reasonable. I believe for under 12s, in the family section, season tickets were £23 this season (ie. £1 per game). They were between £69-£109 elsewhere in the ground (£3-£4.74 per game).

Having £1 match tickets for under 12s with their season tickets being £10 may be reasonable. I believe clubs do a deal where a child's season ticket (under 8s maybe), is free with an adult season ticket.

The medium term impact on crowds is interesting to consider. Bradford's crowds have benefitted from cheap season tickets. I had a look and their early prices were £198 for adults (£300 after the cut-off date) this season. They're averaging around 18,000 in League Two and appear to have sustained high attendances since they brought in their cheap season ticket prices (in around 2015) - they're getting around the same crowds as they did in the Premier League back in the early 2000s. They apparently have 15,000 STHs. I think cheap tickets does have an impact on people going to games, especially from the season ticket side of things.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2024 09:17

I was thinking you'd lose money overall, but make it U12s and you only need to get three extra kids in for a quid per U12 STH per game to make it a profit without considering any adults. So it doesn't seem that hard.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2024 09:38

Stranded

Kid for a quid probably pointless for midweek games but they could certainly tier its availability based on a number of factors and tweak as the season goes on.

Can judge the number worth doing based on ST sales, average attendance, league position etc - could even just offer packages - 5 for a fiver, where you can pick and choose which games you want to go to with the kid(s) - subject to availability.

You could even just make the ED Stand permanently kid for a quid (if thats allowed) and charge normal prices elsewhere - try and fill up that end.

I think there’s definitely something in there they should do. Like people are saying, probably just needs a bit of thought put into it. Of course having kids in for £1 makes the club money in other ways with the catering, merchandise etc it helps bring in

Right on the midweeks, no real point then

It was really nice to see the ground relatively full though, much prefer it when it is. Nice buzz around the place

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2024 09:51

I assume the club has the sales figures to show whether the extra numbers it generates makes it worth it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jan 2024 09:57

Snowflake Royal I assume the club has the sales figures to show whether the extra numbers it generates makes it worth it.

With the way the club is run at the mo, that is a bold assumption that they either a) have the figures or b) know how to utilise them.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 Jan 2024 10:07

Snowflake Royal I assume the club has the sales figures to show whether the extra numbers it generates makes it worth it.

I'm sure they have, but do they have the vision to see the longer-term positive impact?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Jan 2024 10:13

Snowflake Royal

I was thinking you'd lose money overall, but make it U12s and you only need to get three extra kids in for a quid per U12 STH per game to make it a profit without considering any adults. So it doesn't seem that hard.

No but as you say it depends whether the club would lose money or not, extra costs involved with staff for example. There is also no guarantee as to what food/drink people buy alongside merchandise.

It's something worth considering, but not when the club is in this state where our staff have to sit in coats in the administration offices.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Jan 2024 10:18

Obviously lower prices make a difference, but the real key to bringing punters back is bringing back the feel good factor and enjoyment in supporting the club. For me, is it really worth 4 hours travel each way to see a shell of the club I used to support? But first home game once Dai has gone, I'm there. I appreciate I'm not the target of this debate given travel costs and time dwarf ticket prices, but if we can go into next season with new ownership and hopes of a good season fans will return. It's not just about money but what you want to do with your Saturday afternoon. But a change of ownership alone won't make us sell out, and if pricing deals can turn 15k into 20k that's obviously worthwhile.