MATCHWATCH : Oxford United (a)

175 posts
Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Oxford United (a)

by Clyde1998 » 03 Feb 2024 21:02

RoyalBlue
Clyde1998
Armadillo Roadkill TVP a bit heavy handed I thought.

*Snip*

Not 100% sure what legislation "section 50" is referring to, although I think that's refusing to give police personal information (name, date of birth, etc.) when required.

Yep, that is correct. Bit pointless given they now appear to have his details anyway!

They'll just arrest him and they'll get his information later. Of course, assuming the person bought a ticket, he'll be on the list of people who bought tickets from Reading. Whittling down a 1,500 list by age range would narrow the potential names quite a bit.

The guy's 34, so you'd look for people on the list who's between 30 and 40. Oxford would probably know when each ticket was scanned too, so people's appearances could be identified via CCTV and cross-referenced with the ticket list to exclude people.

All you're doing is delaying the inevitable: the police will get your details some way or another.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 03 Feb 2024 21:36

skipper It is painfully clear that Oxford are a 1 man team. Remove Brannagan and they're nothing. Head and shoulders the best midfielder in the division, and it's truly amazing that he has stayed with Oxford despite multiple offers from Championship clubs for the past 4 seasons. Credit to himself and Oxford.

I think most teams in this division are fairly ordinary, but the top sides have one or two players who make a real difference - Peterborough had a winger who really stood out, for example. I thought Oxford looked poor today, with their #8 (who I assume is Brannagan) being the only player who stood out for them.

skipper BBC stats didn't feel accurate. (How did we have more possesion?).

I feel we had more possession myself. We had more of the attacking play and Oxford's passing did seem dreadful. I can't remember many sustained spells of possession for Oxford, whereas we had a few.

skipper 10 minutes prior to their goal, we were excellent. And straight out of the traps in the 2nd half. Shame we can't start a game like that.

We play very slowly.

I don't know if it's tactical or due to not having enough energy, but we look so much better when we press teams and play with some intensity. I understand you can't play at full intensity for a full ninety minutes, but we only seem to do it for fifteen/twenty minutes each game. Increasing that would be great to see.

skipper Overall, we could have nicked it in the last 15. Both our respective league positions are lying. (Admittedly they are currently 9 first team players down)

Oxford did have a good start to the season, but have fallen away - especially since their manager left for Bristol City. Over the past few months we've both been on fairly similar form. Based on the two games we've played against them, I don't think Oxford will get into the play-offs although they may sneak in with a bit of luck or an improvement (perhaps those players coming back could be a factor).

Seems like the top six will be the current top five, plus one of Oxford, Stevenage or Blackpool. We play Stevenage on Tuesday, so will be interesting to see where they are compared to Oxford right now.

skipper Would rather sit with the away fans. Steward did clock me before sitting down and had a quiet word about being well behaved. I was and he made a big effort to thank me after. Good stewarding and I *don't* think there was any trouble? (Edit: not including the flare incident)

Funny banter on the busses into the city centre after the game. Their fans are pretty quiet really. Not a lot of shouting/chanting, unless in reaction to us.

I think (in general) stewards can tell who's likely to cause problems. Ultimately, they appear to have been sensible in regards to any Reading fans in the home end - let them be unless they start to cause problems.

Their fans did sound really quiet from the away end, although it's always for the noise to leave the ground when you've got an open end and no corners. How did the away end sound from where you were?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 03 Feb 2024 21:46

I'll take the point after being behind, if we'd of scored first we'd of won that comfortably.

Pre match we had a decent brunch in the 4 candles, rammed with Reading fans, the bus takes ages to get to the ground and it clearly caught a lot of people out as you could see Reading supporters arriving 10-20mins after kick off.

The entire TVP must have been present today, they are going to get a hefty policing bill Seem completely over the top.

I have to say the post match pubs are way better than Reading, rounded off by a nice donner kebab at Kebab King.

Special mention for the 2 blokes in the tree watching the match for free, the mound in the "gap stand" gives free viewing.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Feb 2024 21:53

Shows how tinpot we were today that we took a point at Oxford today. Meh I like the derby and playing them I have it

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Feb 2024 21:53

Re. The Popo, the game was an obvious ‘over-police’ event following their visit to Reading.

A no-win….not enough popo, everybody moans, too many too strict….everybody moans.

A nicelittle earner and a relatively decent derby……didn’t we once have armed police at Reading Station back in the early 2000s?

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 03 Feb 2024 22:06

Clyde1998 . How did the away end sound from where you were?

Loud! We were predictably quiet after the goal, but generally very loud. I was impressed. The team seem to vibe it.

Quite enjoyed the game really.

The over policing was weird. Because we got straight on the first bus and were joined by Royals immediately. I thought the police were there to seperate fans??
Last edited by skipper on 04 Feb 2024 08:03, edited 1 time in total.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 03 Feb 2024 22:24

PieEater Special mention for the 2 blokes in the tree watching the match for free, the mound in the "gap stand" gives free viewing.

Not the clearest image unfortunately:

I think there were close to twenty at the peak.

The guy who climbed highest up the tree looked like he had some difficulty getting down, but managed it without assistance. 8)

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 03 Feb 2024 23:20

Worst Reading team in 25+ years and they still failed to beat us twice this season 8)

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 04 Feb 2024 08:23

RG30 Worst Reading team in 25+ years and they still failed to beat us twice this season 8)

+1

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Feb 2024 10:05

LWJ
RG30 Worst Reading team in 25+ years and they still failed to beat us twice this season 8)

+1

Be fair, they did score more than Reading over the two games.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 04 Feb 2024 11:00

Only 1 defeat in our last 10 league games. First time we’ve achieved that since august - October 2015 :shock:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Feb 2024 14:41

Brogue Only 1 defeat in our last 10 league games. First time we’ve achieved that since august - October 2015 :shock:

That run eventually stretched to 1 league defeat (home v Derby) in 11 although there was a loss to Everton in the LC in there too! Then THAT Fulham game happened and the wheels fell off.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Feb 2024 17:17

karbota
Millsy Amazing pacey run back from Wifi.

Absolutely great.

Who is Wifi?

It’s a nickname used for Ehibhatioman. I believe originating from a Millwall fan or journalist or someone after our 4-0 thrashing of them saying they were “beaten by a Wi-Fi password”.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 04 Feb 2024 21:39

Millsy
karbota
Millsy Amazing pacey run back from Wifi.

Absolutely great.

Who is Wifi?

It’s a nickname used for Ehibhatioman. I believe originating from a Millwall fan or journalist or someone after our 4-0 thrashing of them saying they were “beaten by a Wi-Fi password”.

Thanks, Millsy.

rfc8

by rfc8 » 05 Feb 2024 08:52

2-2-1 in 2024 so far, 17 games to go, keep our nerve and stay up...

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Feb 2024 09:17

Brogue Only 1 defeat in our last 10 league games. First time we’ve achieved that since august - October 2015 :shock:

Only 3 wins though, which are key in pulling us up the table. But I'd say we're winning the games we should be and picking up games from tougher fixtures, including beating Derby. If you look at the draws in the run, you would class them all as acceptable results, though we absolutely should have beaten Lincoln on the balance of the game.

We have a few more coming up in the "should win" column. Charlton, Port Vale and Shrewsbury at home, while Fleetwood and Carlisle away are as winnable away games as you get. 4 wins from those 5 and we'll be out of the relegation zone for sure.

Win the "should win" games and continue picking up points elsewhere and we'll be fine. I worry about fatigue in February though with our volume of fixtures and small squad. I'd almost be tempted to chuck our game at Pompey, though I don't expect us to.

rfc8

by rfc8 » 05 Feb 2024 09:21

^^^^
Concern might be more points deductions but not much we can do about that.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Feb 2024 09:28

rfc8 ^^^^
Concern might be more points deductions but not much we can do about that.

I'd be surprised if the HMRC hearing results in a hefty points deduction. No club has had a deduction for this before, and I think the EFL are now in a position where they see the club as a victim of the owner. They don't make the final decision, but obviously the strength of punishment they push for has a big impact. I'd expect a suspended sentence or 1 point deduction with more suspended instead of going in hard. Though they may require a 125% deposit, and we know Dai never pays them.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Feb 2024 12:02

WestYorksRoyal

Only 3 wins though, which are key in pulling us up the table. But I'd say we're winning the games we should be and picking up games from tougher fixtures, including beating Derby. If you look at the draws in the run, you would class them all as acceptable results, though we absolutely should have beaten Lincoln on the balance of the game.

We have a few more coming up in the "should win" column. Charlton, Port Vale and Shrewsbury at home, while Fleetwood and Carlisle away are as winnable away games as you get. 4 wins from those 5 and we'll be out of the relegation zone for sure.

Win the "should win" games and continue picking up points elsewhere and we'll be fine. I worry about fatigue in February though with our volume of fixtures and small squad. I'd almost be tempted to chuck our game at Pompey, though I don't expect us to.

3 wins and 6 draws in 10 games is 15 points or 1.5 PPG though - if we can keep that sort of average going (which over the season is probably worth about a 10th place finish) then we should reach 54/55 points. That should keep us up comfortably.

Interestingly* if you take the current 10 game form for all teams and extrapolate over the rest of the season, The following happens:

Promoted

Derby & Peterborough

Play-offs
Bolton, Stevenage, Pompey & Barnsley

15th: Reading (54 points)

Relegated
Cheltenham, Charlton, Fleetwood, Carlisle

We would finish 11 points clear of the drop.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Feb 2024 12:37

We should probably expect a bit of a regression to mean at some point.

Just as we weren't as bad as 1 point in 8, we're not as good as 1 defeat in 10.

We've seen endlessly under Dai, and before, that we are far more able to sustain poor form than good form over longer periods.

175 posts