MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (a)

236 posts
Uke
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (a)

by Uke » 07 Feb 2024 09:34

dontbedaft Wow. Forster-Caskey turning out for Stevanage!

Carbooter will soon be calling for him to be our next manager probably

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Feb 2024 09:59

With things improving on the pitch, we need improvement off it too. The bones of a squad that can win promotion in the next couple of years is there; even Mola looks like we could go on to be a good signing. We need stability, the ability to offer contracts and plan our squad. If Dai doesn't sell up, we'll be back in a shit position next season.
Last edited by WestYorksRoyal on 07 Feb 2024 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Feb 2024 10:02

WestYorksRoyal With things improvisation on the pitch, we need improvement off it too. The bones of a squad that can win promotion in the next couple of years is there; even Mola looks like we could go on to be a good signing. We need stability, the ability to offer contracts and plan our squad. If Dai doesn't sell up, we'll be back in a shit position next season.

If Dai doesn't sell, we don't see next season.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 07 Feb 2024 10:20

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal With things improvisation on the pitch, we need improvement off it too. The bones of a squad that can win promotion in the next couple of years is there; even Mola looks like we could go on to be a good signing. We need stability, the ability to offer contracts and plan our squad. If Dai doesn't sell up, we'll be back in a shit position next season.

If Dai doesn't sell, we don't see next season.

I agree

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2024 11:13

Re: Mola - think he got a lot of unfair abuse for a couple of poor games. He’s barely played for a few years and thrown into a really difficult situation

Turning point was that move to RB against Charlton where he was suddenly excellent and he’s been fine since

I think he’s fine. Not amazing, but good enough to do a job

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Feb 2024 11:19

Hound Re: Mola - think he got a lot of unfair abuse for a couple of poor games. He’s barely played for a few years and thrown into a really difficult situation

Turning point was that move to RB against Charlton where he was suddenly excellent and he’s been fine since

Yep, I can see him being a useful player for us. Shaun Cummings played a big role in our 11/12 promotion season after a torrid start to his Reading career.

Mola is only on a 12 month contract. This is an example of why the off field situation needs to be resolved; get the likes of him, Mbengue, Bindon, Ehibhatiomhan and Azeez on longer term contracts. If we get taken over in July, it's too late and we're starting from ground zero again.

Ideally, we'd see the preferred bidder/exclusivity stage in February with a view to completion in April, so Bowen and Selles can plan for next season.

rfc8

by rfc8 » 07 Feb 2024 11:24

Out of the bottom 4 and 16 more games to ensure staying out.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Feb 2024 11:46

WestYorksRoyal
Hound Re: Mola - think he got a lot of unfair abuse for a couple of poor games. He’s barely played for a few years and thrown into a really difficult situation

Yep, I can see him being a useful player for us. Shaun Cummings played a big role in our 11/12 promotion season after a torrid start to his Reading career.

Mola is only on a 12 month contract. This is an example of why the off field situation needs to be resolved; get the likes of him, Mbengue, Bindon, Ehibhatiomhan and Azeez on longer term contracts. If we get taken over in July, it's too late and we're starting from ground zero again.

Ideally, we'd see the preferred bidder/exclusivity stage in February with a view to completion in April, so Bowen and Selles can plan for next season.

Mola was a punt and in all honesty if we weren't in this situation I don't think we would looked at him and if we did, we probably would have still given him 12 months - there may well be an option to extend if he performs. Few more performances like last night and if there is one, it will be used.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Feb 2024 12:33

I'd rather NGW, but Mola has drastically improved and is now doing ok.

His defending was mostly very good last night. Still a bit daft and error prone, but it is L1

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Feb 2024 12:35

Snowflake Royal

His defending was mostly very good last night. Still a bit daft and error prone, but it is L1

I prefer Mola, seems to have more in his locker than NGW who was and is pretty limited overall.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Feb 2024 12:39

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal

I prefer Mola, seems to have more in his locker than NGW who was and is pretty limited overall.

Well this a shocking and unpredictable state of affairs.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Feb 2024 12:51

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal I'd rather NGW, but Mola has drastically improved and is now doing ok.

Indeed. Difference of opinion and that, I have just never rated NGW to be honest. Seen some decent traits in him, but it doesn't outweigh my thoughts that he's just not that good a player.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Feb 2024 13:16

Another little fact from last night - the clean sheet was our first in 462 days away from home - since Luton 0 Reading 0 on 1st November 2022.

EDIT in bold
Last edited by Stranded on 07 Feb 2024 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 07 Feb 2024 13:23

Stranded Another little fact from last night - the clean sheet was our first in 462 days - since Luton 0 Reading 0 on 1st November 2022.

im guessing you mean away from home in the league?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 07 Feb 2024 13:24

Stranded Another little fact from last night - the clean sheet was our first in 462 days - since Luton 0 Reading 0 on 1st November 2022.

You mean, away from home?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Feb 2024 13:24

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Indeed. Difference of opinion and that, I have just never rated NGW to be honest. Seen some decent traits in him, but it doesn't outweigh my thoughts that he's just not that good a player.

NGW was fcuking shit for us. Defensive liability who looked OK going forward but with minimal end product except winning a couple of penalties. We don't miss him at all. Mola seems more rounded and we're starting to see the player you would expect to see from the Chelsea academy.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Feb 2024 13:33

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Feb 2024 13:38

Brogue

im guessing you mean away from home in the league?

Yes sorry, implied but not stated.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Feb 2024 13:38

Mr Angry

yes - editing original post.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 07 Feb 2024 13:41

My observations on Mola

Awful first touch
Terrible at defending 1 on 1 with the winger.
Looks lost when he ventures past the halfway line

However

Defending crosses at the back post was incredible, can't remember the last time we had a full back as good as him in this aspect.
We would have lost the game last night had we had a Gunter, NGW style player there as good as they were going forward.

I can see now why Selles insists on bringing him on when we're trying to close out a game.

236 posts