236 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (a)

by Sutekh » 04 Feb 2024 10:28

When : Tuesday February 6 2024, 7.45pm
Where : Stadium, Broadhall Way, Stevenage, SG2 8RH
Capacity : 7,800

Stevenage next for, thankfully, only the second midweek away league trip so far this season. Sadly this is a game Reading shouldn't have to play, but due to Stevenage's incompetence at not being able to lose early enough in the FA Cup we all have to suffer an extra midweek league game away from home under Reading's magnificent run of 4 wins from the last 54 midweek league trips away from home (and 0 wins from 50 attempts at winning a midweek away game at teams NOT beginning with B).

After the last midweek league away "disaster" at Northampton the club have improved away form immensely and have actually won a game on the road but of course that was on a Saturday so this is going to be another real challenge especially as Stevenage are rather good at this third tier lark and are currently in the play off places having been able to oust Oxford, thanks to Reading's efforts on Saturday combining with the 'boro's late home win over Blackpool.

Form for the hosts is pretty good with just 2 defeats in their last 15 league games, however those 2 defeats were in the last 5 league games played but were away at Barnsley and away at Portsmouth, so doesn't look like Stevenage have much trouble with the "lesser" sides in the division and especially at home where they've only lost 1 league game (to Oxford) all season.

The threat is obvious though, it's striker Jamie Reid who has scored 16 league goals so far in 27 games. Keep him quiet and there might be a chance of getting something as the next highest scorers at Stevenage are only on 4.

Nesta Guinness-Walker is unable to play under the terms of his loan agreement so at least we won't have the experience of him being the star and match winner for Stevenage. Just Holmes (back) as the injury problem really so Reading are pretty much on a clean bill of health otherwise and hopefully Mr Selles can find an XI that can get something out of the game. After his surprising non-inclusion on Saturday I would expect Monlouis to at least be on the bench esp. if Holmes is still unfit.

Lastly, if Reading pull off the proverbial miracle to win the game they could climb above Port Vale (who are at home to in form Leyton Orient on Tuesday). But any form of pointage that is earned on Tuesday will mean that Reading will climb above Charlton if they beat them on Saturday, without having to depend on a big win in that game. Charlton, sadly, have the week off.

Referee

Paul Howard

Previously

Nothing

Historically

No previous league visits to Stevenage but there have been 2 FA Cup ties played there which returned Reading 1 win (2011) and 1 draw (2018) so a bit of unbeateness going on, which would be great to maintain.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (a)

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Feb 2024 12:19

Should really be going to this one, but so used to just watching at home, and with everything so shit, I don't pay much attention to the fixture list anymore.

And looks like I might not quite catch the 22.08 back, so would be on the 22.59, so getting home about 12.30 on a week day with work in the morning.

Plus at this point I'd have to faff around with electronic tickets or picking up from Stevenage.

So looks like another sofa job.

What do we think about the Mbengue / Manlouis sitch? Amadou was pretty ropey vs the Pox, especially first half. But still than less than a week of training for the pointless CB signing...

Another couple of games for Mbengue? Shuffle the pack with Abrefa or Mola coming in to free up Dorsett for CB duties... the return of Dean?

I think Mbengue gets a bit more chance.

Stevenage have dreadful possession and pass accuracy stats, and they don't create lots of chances or score loads. But they don't concede a lot.

So I expect we'll huff and puff with possession, then get hit on the break twice with some catastrophic defending.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Feb 2024 14:58

Don't know much about Stevenage, but a smaller club high in the table, managed by Steve Evans, I presume they're a physical side who will be trying to bully us and get lots of balls into the box, and who can create an intimidating atmosphere at their garden shed. So exactly the sort of game you expect a young side to struggle in.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Feb 2024 01:11

WestYorksRoyal Don't know much about Stevenage, but a smaller club high in the table, managed by Steve Evans, I presume they're a physical side who will be trying to bully us and get lots of balls into the box, and who can create an intimidating atmosphere at their garden shed. So exactly the sort of game you expect a young side to struggle in.

One of the lowest possession stats in the league. Clearly working well for them but as you say, expecting quite a physical game

Would make a few changes for this one. Lot of games in the upcoming month and relatively speaking, this is one of our least important games given the fixtures of teams around us. Mbengue at CB would be a poor choice IMO given his lack of height and with Yiadom’s recurring injury problems, may be wise to leave him out for this one and shift Mbengue across. Would swap Smith out for Ehib for this one and possibly even give Wing a rest

There does seem to be a real dearth of attacking options we can rotate which is strange given how big the squad seemed at the start of the season, particularly the two wide players where perhaps Elliott aside, there’s almost no viable alternative. 8 games in 28 days will be a struggle for both Azeez and Mukairu

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Feb 2024 07:59

Stevenage are the most direct team in the league (or 2nd behind Cheltenham) so we can expect an absolute barrage of balls down the channels and into the box from all angles - under a similar barrage at Cheltenham we fell apart in the first half before a crazy couple of mins before half time got us out of a hole.

Going to be very very tough tonight - a point should be gratefully received.

Seen some interesting views that tonight may be the right game for Harlee Dean to play in - whilst he has been less than stellar since signing, he leads the stats in terms of headed clearances and ariel duels - pace unlikely to be vital in the middle of the defence tonight so if Holmes isn't good to go, then I can see the logic in having him there with instructions to just head anything that comes near him as far away as possible.

Pace on the wings going to be key for us tonight, as we need outlet balls either directly to Azeez/Mukairu or into Smith who can hopefully hold it up and spread the play out to them.

Finally, a rare chance to complete a league double over someone, so we won't win.

Final Score Stevenage 1 Reading 1.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Feb 2024 08:09

Elliott should be back so will presumably be an option. Agree there should be some rotation as this is a "bonus" game where no one really expects anything and we need the better players "safe" for the more "hopeful" games.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Feb 2024 08:38

Stranded Stevenage are the most direct team in the league (or 2nd behind Cheltenham) so we can expect an absolute barrage of balls down the channels and into the box from all angles - under a similar barrage at Cheltenham we fell apart in the first half before a crazy couple of mins before half time got us out of a hole.

Seen some interesting views that tonight may be the right game for Harlee Dean to play in - whilst he has been less than stellar since signing, he leads the stats in terms of headed clearances and ariel duels - pace unlikely to be vital in the middle of the defence tonight so if Holmes isn't good to go, then I can see the logic in having him there with instructions to just head anything that comes near him as far away as possible.

Pace on the wings going to be key for us tonight, as we need outlet balls either directly to Azeez/Mukairu or into Smith who can hopefully hold it up and spread the play out to them.

Finally, a rare chance to complete a league double over someone, so we won't win.

Dean wouldn’t be a bad shout if he'd played in the last two months. But anything you gain in aerial presence you immediately lose in organisation and coordination.

I do fear Mbengue's irratic approach to defending though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Feb 2024 08:42

Snowflake Royal
Stranded Stevenage are the most direct team in the league (or 2nd behind Cheltenham) so we can expect an absolute barrage of balls down the channels and into the box from all angles - under a similar barrage at Cheltenham we fell apart in the first half before a crazy couple of mins before half time got us out of a hole.

Dean wouldn’t be a bad shout if he'd played in the last two months. But anything you gain in aerial presence you immediately lose in organisation and coordination.

I do fear Mbengue's irratic approach to defending though.

Yes agree. I'm sure he has been training with the squad so working on defensive shape etc but lack of minutes would be a massive concern and why, whilst there is logic, I don't think we'll see him tonight - at least not start. He may be an option off the bench esp if we are defending a lead late on and need to repel the onslaught.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 06 Feb 2024 08:54

Gonna be a hard slog for our paper thin squad this. Think we get turned over tonight :(

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Feb 2024 09:00

Our best away result of the season so far is at Peterborough who were higher in the table and in better form. But Peterborough were a footballing side we could go toe to toe with, as we have decent technical players for the level we're at. By contrast, Stevenage's style tonight will be like kryptonite and Holmes will be a massive miss. I'd be over the moon with a point but don't expect it.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Feb 2024 09:06

Not sure what to expect here to be honest, another point would be a pretty good result though and our record against the top sides isn't all that bad either given our position.

Fear that, given we are pretty poor at defending crosses, we might struggle at that end. I would agree with putting Dean in the side for his aerial presence if Holmes isn't fit, I wouldn't fancy either Mbengue or Bindon in the air against them and they'd probably end up getting bullied. It's a risk considering Dean hasn't played much recently though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Feb 2024 09:43

Holmes often gets bullied against these kind of sides anyway. But yeah Dean not played for ages or would be a shout

Wouldn’t change too much tbh. Agree prob Mbengue to RB and rest Yiadom. Prob not the game to start big Clinton and move Dorsett over but it’s an option

Reckon savage will start.

Don’t see many other changes unless there are injuries though

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Feb 2024 10:16

Fearing a heavy defeat.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Feb 2024 10:27

Snowflake Royal Should really be going to this one, but I'm not really a Reading fan.

CFY

*Ok I admit I only did this for shits and giggles, meant nothing by it :D

yuomi

by yuomi » 06 Feb 2024 11:28

If there's ever a game for Hutchinson and Dean this is it. Will also need two up top or Smith will get even more lost by himself than he has been lately. Strangely optimistic about this one if we approach it right. But that's usually a bad sign.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 06 Feb 2024 11:32

Tickets secured for pick up at ground

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Feb 2024 12:13

Millsy
Snowflake Royal Should really be going to this one, but I'm not really a Reading fan.

CFY

Tbf, there's not much to be a fan of at the club right now.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Feb 2024 13:42

Snowflake Royal
Millsy

CFY

Ah dunno - shown pretty remarkable resilience in the face of Dai’s appalling ownership. Relatively likeable manager and players.

Get rid of the tosser in charge and we’ll come out of it a lot stronger

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Feb 2024 15:06

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Millsy
CFY

Ah dunno - shown pretty remarkable resilience in the face of Dai’s appalling ownership. Relatively likeable manager and players.

Get rid of the tosser in charge and we’ll come out of it a lot stronger

I'm maintaining hatred of Selles purely for the rest of you, because the second I concede he's actually done ok, we'll go on an 8 game losing streak and stop paying the players again.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 06 Feb 2024 15:06

If I had to estimate chances of a result I'd go for something like:

50% Stevenage
40% Draw
10% Reading

Might be a bit pessimistic but they've only lost 1 at home all season

236 posts