On this day

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: On this day

by Sutekh » 18 Feb 2024 08:05

17 February 1998
Sunderland 4-1 Reading

Bibbo, Booty, Davies, Primus, Swales, Parkinson, Houghton, Hodges, Bowen, Asaba, Morley.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 26 Feb 2024 19:01

41 years ago today...Reading 1-1 Southend, a third tier game watched by circa 2500 at Elm Park. For those interested, Gary Donnellan scored a late equaliser. For anyone moaning about our wide players today, believe me Donnellan was twice as bad.

Why call this game out? Because there are remarkable parallels with this season. Some guy on a football Facebook group posts random fixtures and tables from today's date through the years and from 1983 today:

Reading were in 16th place and 5 points above the relegation places, having played a game or two more than the sides below them.

Another parallel the club was for sale. The chairman, a certain Frank Waller was looking to sell the club having lost interest, initial interested parties earlier in the season included Deep Purple vocalist Ian Gillan. A few weeks later he agreed to sell to a guy up the road at Oxford, which is more than adequately covered on other posts. The only positive compared to Dai was that at least the wages and tax were paid on time.

Fast forward to the end of the season, the bottom two sides, Preston and Millwall, 11 & 12 points behind us on this day, survived comfortably and we were relegated on the last day with 53 points, our form following the Southend game wasn't even amazingly bad with with 14 points from the last 12 games. Going down with us (indeed we relegated them by beating them on the last day) were Wrexham who on this day 40 years ago had 42 points and were 12th.

I guess this shows anything can still happen....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Feb 2024 08:15

Mid Sussex Royal 41 years ago today...Reading 1-1 Southend, a third tier game watched by circa 2500 at Elm Park. For those interested, Gary Donnellan scored a late equaliser. For anyone moaning about our wide players today, believe me Donnellan was twice as bad.

Why call this game out? Because there are remarkable parallels with this season. Some guy on a football Facebook group posts random fixtures and tables from today's date through the years and from 1983 today:

Reading were in 16th place and 5 points above the relegation places, having played a game or two more than the sides below them.

Another parallel the club was for sale. The chairman, a certain Frank Waller was looking to sell the club having lost interest, initial interested parties earlier in the season included Deep Purple vocalist Ian Gillan. A few weeks later he agreed to sell to a guy up the road at Oxford, which is more than adequately covered on other posts. The only positive compared to Dai was that at least the wages and tax were paid on time.

Fast forward to the end of the season, the bottom two sides, Preston and Millwall, 11 & 12 points behind us on this day, survived comfortably and we were relegated on the last day with 53 points, our form following the Southend game wasn't even amazingly bad with with 14 points from the last 12 games. Going down with us (indeed we relegated them by beating them on the last day) were Wrexham who on this day 40 years ago had 42 points and were 12th.

I guess this shows anything can still happen....

Oddly if the league had still been playing 2 points for a win that season (3 points had come in the season before) then both Wrexham and Reading would have safely stayed up at the expense of Wigan and Orient.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Mar 2024 09:00

18 years old today.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 25 Mar 2024 09:44

Happy "Give us the fucking results you wankers" Day one and all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxW-Sxa3fTY

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Mar 2024 10:04

Funny we always show the picture of Doyle when the key goal was Asaba scoring against Watford.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 26 Mar 2024 07:51

WestYorksRoyal Funny we always show the picture of Doyle when the key goal was Asaba scoring against Watford.

Yep, we could have lost that day and it would still have been the day we were promoted

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Mar 2024 08:01

Franchise FC
WestYorksRoyal Funny we always show the picture of Doyle when the key goal was Asaba scoring against Watford.

Yep, we could have lost that day and it would still have been the day we were promoted

I always liked Asaba.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 26 Mar 2024 08:35

stealthpapes Happy "Give us the fucking results you wankers" Day one and all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxW-Sxa3fTY

Can`t watch that without shedding a little tear considering where we are now, glad I was there, they`ll never take that away from me.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 26 Mar 2024 09:18

Sutekh 18 years old today.

Still makes me laugh to think that season our home kit was blue and white, our away kit was blue, and then when faced with the obvious problem this brought about we had a third kit that was white.

If we'd played a team in dark blue and white we'd have needed a 4th kit.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Mar 2024 09:33

Greatwesternline

Still makes me laugh to think that season our home kit was blue and white, our away kit was blue, and then when faced with the obvious problem this brought about we had a third kit that was white.

If we'd played a team in dark blue and white we'd have needed a 4th kit.

Don't teams kit colours for each season have to be approved by the FL or is it all at the behest of the referee for each game that's played? i.e. a club could technically decide to have 46 strips, one for each league game and as long as the ref is happy on match day all is well and good?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 26 Mar 2024 12:52

When I read this I said out p loud no, no way

But it really is, god, 18 years ago :|