MATCHWATCH : Charlton Athletic (h)

170 posts
The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Charlton Athletic (h)

by The Royal Forester » 08 Feb 2024 13:14

Snowflake Royal
Brogue So I’m hearing in the grapevine charlton fans are planning on going in the home section dotted around all the stands pretending to be Reading fans. Then they will invade the pitch on 16 minutes pretending to be Reading fans protesting about dai so we get our suspended points deduction which could help save Charlton from relegation.

That's spectacularly tragic.

They'd have to get the game abandoned for that to work. And I suspect if the stewards and Police declined to move them, our fans would rather less pleasantly

But it'll just be a few morons on twitter talking big and having no follow through.[/quote

Rival fans do not have to get the game abandoned for it to work, do they? The suspended points will be applied for any DISRUPTION to the game. Pitch invasion, tennis balls etc. surely all count as a disruption to the game.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Feb 2024 13:37

The Royal Forester
Snowflake Royal
Brogue So I’m hearing in the grapevine charlton fans are planning on going in the home section dotted around all the stands pretending to be Reading fans. Then they will invade the pitch on 16 minutes pretending to be Reading fans protesting about dai so we get our suspended points deduction which could help save Charlton from relegation.

They'd have to get the game abandoned for that to work. And I suspect if the stewards and Police declined to move them, our fans would rather less pleasantly

But it'll just be a few morons on twitter talking big and having no follow through.[/quote

Rival fans do not have to get the game abandoned for it to work, do they? The suspended points will be applied for any DISRUPTION to the game. Pitch invasion, tennis balls etc. surely all count as a disruption to the game.

Not correct. All about failure to fulfil a fixture.

Sanction for Non-Fulfilment of a Fixture  
Following the abandonment, the League entered discussions with Reading in respect of the potential sanction to be imposed as a result of the Club failing to fulfil its fixture obligations and have now reached a consensus by way of an Agreed Decision, in accordance with EFL Regulations.

The Club is now subject to a suspended three-point deduction with the sanction to be activated in either the 2023/2024 season or the 2024/2025 season if any fixture played in any EFL competition is postponed or abandoned due to disruption (including incursion onto the field of play) by the Club’s supporters. If it is required, the suspended three-point deduction will become active with immediate effect in the season during which the breach occurs.

This level of sanction remains consistent with action taken in previous circumstances where an abandonment of an EFL fixture has taken place. The League continues to recognise the ongoing challenges for the Club and its supporter base and notes the views expressed at the supporter meeting held with the EFL last week in respect of imposing further immediate points deductions on the Club.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 08 Feb 2024 13:57

Hendo
The Royal Forester
Snowflake Royal

Not correct. All about failure to fulfil a fixture.

Sanction for Non-Fulfilment of a Fixture  
Following the abandonment, the League entered discussions with Reading in respect of the potential sanction to be imposed as a result of the Club failing to fulfil its fixture obligations and have now reached a consensus by way of an Agreed Decision, in accordance with EFL Regulations.

The Club is now subject to a suspended three-point deduction with the sanction to be activated in either the 2023/2024 season or the 2024/2025 season if any fixture played in any EFL competition is postponed or abandoned due to disruption (including incursion onto the field of play) by the Club’s supporters. If it is required, the suspended three-point deduction will become active with immediate effect in the season during which the breach occurs.

This level of sanction remains consistent with action taken in previous circumstances where an abandonment of an EFL fixture has taken place. The League continues to recognise the ongoing challenges for the Club and its supporter base and notes the views expressed at the supporter meeting held with the EFL last week in respect of imposing further immediate points deductions on the Club.

I stand corrected, thank you. I note that in that statement that it says "by the Club's supporters". So at least rival fans can't get the deduction imposed, provided we can prove they were from the opposition.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 Feb 2024 14:18

The Royal Forester
Snowflake Royal

I believe it was just a joke

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 08 Feb 2024 17:28

tmesis I believe it was just a joke

I agree

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Feb 2024 08:54

morganb
SWLR Elizabeth Line Derby?

Ex-Southampton Manager Derby?

Must have both been at the club at the same time and did Selles replace Jones?

Yeah, actually suprised a lot more hasn’t been mentioned on this

IIRC Selles was lead coach before Jones came in and then he kind of got sidelined by Jones who brought his own staff in but kept Selles in the background. Selles then took over after Jones was then sacked

There was some interesting interview with Selles somewhere about his time at Soton which documented it

But basically they’ll know each other very well

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Feb 2024 09:08

Listening to the EPR preview pod, Charlton fans are well up for this and hyping it up as the turning point in their season. 3000 fans, new manager, big win to light the fuse.

In the same pod, they basically said everybody is playing shit, they don't have a plan to bring May into the game and the January signings are having no impact yet. So maybe they need to temper their expectations. I think a lot of people are underestimating us because of our league position (understandable tbf).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Feb 2024 09:12

Should be a decent atmosphere then. Looking forward to it

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Feb 2024 09:31

WestYorksRoyal Listening to the EPR preview pod, Charlton fans are well up for this and hyping it up as the turning point in their season. 3000 fans, new manager, big win to light the fuse.

In the same pod, they basically said everybody is playing shit, they don't have a plan to bring May into the game and the January signings are having no impact yet. So maybe they need to temper their expectations. I think a lot of people are underestimating us because of our league position (understandable tbf).

Always a talking point when you change your manager and fans naturally expect an instant improvement. I agree with you previously where I think their squad is underachieving and I thought, on paper at least, they brought in some pretty decent players in January.

One of the highlights of our last 12-18 months though is that we've got a decent record against teams when they changed manager i.e. appointed manager's first game or interim manager from the previously sacked person. I think we faced quite a few in the Championship last season under Ince and we did pretty well against most. Not sure what it's been like this season, or on how many occasions we've faced that situation (Lee Johnson at Fleetwood maybe?).

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Feb 2024 09:40

YorkshireRoyal99
WestYorksRoyal Listening to the EPR preview pod, Charlton fans are well up for this and hyping it up as the turning point in their season. 3000 fans, new manager, big win to light the fuse.

Always a talking point when you change your manager and fans naturally expect an instant improvement. I agree with you previously where I think their squad is underachieving and I thought, on paper at least, they brought in some pretty decent players in January.

One of the highlights of our last 12-18 months though is that we've got a decent record against teams when they changed manager i.e. appointed manager's first game or interim manager from the previously sacked person. I think we faced quite a few in the Championship last season under Ince and we did pretty well against most. Not sure what it's been like this season, or on how many occasions we've faced that situation (Lee Johnson at Fleetwood maybe?).

Buckingham at Oxford was one (his 2nd game or something). Any others?

Johnson at Fleetwood was in his 6th game when Fleetwood played Reading so maybe not really in what you'd call "new" manager territory? Also someone's been fiddling with Lee's wiki page saying he was sentenced to death on 30 December.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Johnson_(footballer)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Feb 2024 09:47

Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99

Buckingham at Oxford was one (his 2nd game or something). Any others?

Johnson at Fleetwood was in his 6th game when Fleetwood played Reading so maybe not really in what you'd call "new" manager territory? Also someone's been fiddling with Lee's wiki page saying he was sentenced to death on 30 December.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Johnson_(footballer)

I didn't realise Johnson had in charge for that many games previous, thought it was only his first or second game but fair enough, but yes Buckingham was one as well but I can't think of m/any others outside of that, contrast to last season where it felt like we'd faced a team with a change in manager every other week.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Feb 2024 09:48

YorkshireRoyal99

Lapado looked like a great signing on paper but their guy said he's done eff all since joining. Only 2 games, so he may come good but hopefully not Saturday.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 09 Feb 2024 10:49

Could be their own Leyton Orient moment if they play poorly and lose, to continue the bad form is one thing but to hype yourselves up with a new manager and big away following to just go on and lose will probably hurt more.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Feb 2024 11:04

I know managerial sacking bounces happen, but to expect a new manager to have any instant impact beyond morale and determination to keep your place is a bit naive.

Anything tactical or play style wise will inevitably take a fee weeks to bed in.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Feb 2024 11:16

Snowflake Royal I know managerial sacking bounces happen, but to expect a new manager to have any instant impact beyond morale and determination to keep your place is a bit naive.

Anything tactical or play style wise will inevitably take a fee weeks to bed in.

There is no chance of imposing new tactics or playing styles in a week. But the new manager bounce is real if they can instill a bit of confidence, belief and the kick up the arse that was missing. That's why good mid season managers, most obviously Warnock, are pragmatic tactically and good motivators. Even Ince did it for us but ran out of steam.

With respect to Jones, he has "his" way of playing and did not provide any sort of bounce at Southampton. Obviously he had a weak squad and Charlton are a much better side relative to the division they're in. But I'm not convinced they will be transformed overnight.
Last edited by WestYorksRoyal on 09 Feb 2024 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 09 Feb 2024 11:17

And talking of alleged pitch invasions, this ref will be on red alert. Given that he was the one who was recently chased around half the pitch by some bloke up at Port Vale.

traff

by traff » 09 Feb 2024 11:40

The Cap And talking of alleged pitch invasions, this ref will be on red alert. Given that he was the one who was recently chased around half the pitch by some bloke up at Port Vale.

Assume he has already had some sleepless nights after the Port Vale incident. Imagine the nightmares he would have if he was chased on Saturday by an angry clown!

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Feb 2024 11:42

Combining clowns with a pitch invasion would be great value. I'd like to see some horror movie outfits, plus a few token Joker outfits.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 09 Feb 2024 11:55

Definitely does seem to be some unwarranted confidence from the Charlton lot, barely anyone predicting a defeat. Early goal could really hit them.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Feb 2024 13:01

Good let them be overly confident - I'm not sure what Nathan Jones has done outside of Luton to make them so confident - would imagine they have also paid little attention to our form.

At Luton - Jones had a record of

P303 W143 D78 L82 PPG 1.67

At Stoke and Soton

P52 W12 D13 L27 PPG 0.94

Doesn't mean he will fail at Charlton but he took over 2 struggling clubs and failed miserably. Even his 2nd spell at Luton was markedly worse that the first.

No guarantee we will win but with their lack of confidence, an early lead (or any lead) should put us in a strong spot.

170 posts