170 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Charlton Athletic (h)

by Sutekh » 06 Feb 2024 22:59

When : Saturday February 10, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

After the euphoria of the Stevenage "miracle" comes the difficult bit. Capitalising on the feel good factor and the 3 points earned. So often Reading have got themselves into a "capitalise" scenario and then totally ****** it up and this one will be as dangerous as it gets.

Firstly, Charlton have a decent squad of players that are just misfiring at the moment and while they are currently on a bit of a bad run (12 league games without a win) how many of these sorts of side do we see turning up expecting to play Reading only to find that Charity FC have arrived instead and hey presto they receive the "end of whatever cr@p run they find themselves on".

Secondly, Nathan "he's been gone too long" Jones only took over as manager of the Addicks on Sunday, so this will be his first game back on the management merry-go-round since being axed by Southampton about a year ago, and it's not uncommon for the proverbial "new manager bounce" to start with an immediate effect.

Charlton have also failed to keep a clean sheet in the league since beating Reading 4-0 at the end of September (and have only won 2 league games since then) and haven't kept a clean sheet away from home since a 0-0 at Shrewsbury in September.

Squad wise the main threat is posed by Alfie May (16 in 27 league games), midfielder Corey Taylor is the next to watch with 8 goals, then there's the ex-Reading threats posed by Terrell Thomas, Michael Hector and Tennai Watson. Also Ben Watson is at Charlton now and though he hasn't been involved this season he will certainly be someone to watch if the new management decide to go for "all change". The Addicks brought in 6 players in January; Freddie Ladapo, Conor McGrandles, Macaulay Gillesphey, Conor Coventry, Ramarni Edmonds-Green, Lewis Ward & Kayne Ramsay while former Reading keeper, Sam Walker, moved onto Bradford so it will be interesting to see what happens to them now Michael Appleton's moved on.

Tom Holmes may well be back in the mix for this game as Reading's injury list seems to be able to maintain it's shortness. Camara's not been seen for ages though so suspect he's the other member of the current club.

Referee

Craig Hicks

Previously

25 Nov 23 > Wycombe Wanderers 1-2 Reading

Historically

This is the 21st season shared with the once great name of Charlton Athletic with the first games stretching back to the 1920s before disappearing in the 1930s for pretty much the next 60 years or so while Charlton built their "great" name. In the previous 20 league visits from the South East Londoners Reading have won 10 and lost 4 but note that Charlton won 2-0 on their last visit and have won 2 of the last 3 league games played at the Mad Stad/SCL.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Crowbar6753

Re: MATCHWATCH : Charlton Athletic (h)

by Crowbar6753 » 06 Feb 2024 23:50

If we can win this game and make it 7 from 9 against Poxford, Stevenage and Charlton that would be a great return of points!! Charlton should bring a couple of thousand as they're a pretty well supported club and it would be nice to see our fans getting behind the team in real numbers.
Another 15,000 crowd could be on the cards :D .

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 07 Feb 2024 02:54

Elizabeth Line Derby?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Feb 2024 08:03

SWLR Elizabeth Line Derby?

Didn't she marry Julian Ponsonby No-Chin?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Feb 2024 09:51

Crowbar6753 If we can win this game and make it 7 from 9 against Poxford, Stevenage and Charlton that would be a great return of points!! Charlton should bring a couple of thousand as they're a pretty well supported club and it would be nice to see our fans getting behind the team in real numbers.
Another 15,000 crowd could be on the cards :D .

Charlton given an extra 400 tickets which will be gone today - so they will of sold 2900 for this match.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Feb 2024 11:12

They have a handy squad on paper, should definitely not be where they are. An unknown quantity for Nathan Jones' first game. Only hope is he has a very distinct style which is hard to adapt to within a week.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Feb 2024 13:12

WestYorksRoyal They have a handy squad on paper, should definitely not be where they are. An unknown quantity for Nathan Jones' first game. Only hope is he has a very distinct style which is hard to adapt to within a week.

The main hope is that Nathan Jones has been simply shocking as a manager at any club not called Luton Town - hopefully that form continues.

Charlton do have some decent players but they will devoid of confidence even with the new boss, so vital we get on the front foot and score first.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 07 Feb 2024 17:44

SWLR Elizabeth Line Derby?

Ex-Southampton Manager Derby?

Must have both been at the club at the same time and did Selles replace Jones?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 07 Feb 2024 22:46

So I’m hearing in the grapevine charlton fans are planning on going in the home section dotted around all the stands pretending to be Reading fans. Then they will invade the pitch on 16 minutes pretending to be Reading fans protesting about dai so we get our suspended points deduction which could help save Charlton from relegation.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Feb 2024 22:50

Brogue So I’m hearing in the grapevine charlton fans are planning on going in the home section dotted around all the stands pretending to be Reading fans. Then they will invade the pitch on 16 minutes pretending to be Reading fans protesting about dai so we get our suspended points deduction which could help save Charlton from relegation.

That's spectacularly tragic.

They'd have to get the game abandoned for that to work. And I suspect if the stewards and Police declined to move them, our fans would rather less pleasantly

But it'll just be a few morons on twitter talking big and having no follow through.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 07 Feb 2024 22:56

Snowflake Royal
Brogue So I’m hearing in the grapevine charlton fans are planning on going in the home section dotted around all the stands pretending to be Reading fans. Then they will invade the pitch on 16 minutes pretending to be Reading fans protesting about dai so we get our suspended points deduction which could help save Charlton from relegation.

They'd have to get the game abandoned for that to work. And I suspect if the stewards and Police declined to move them, our fans would rather less pleasantly

But it'll just be a few morons on twitter talking big and having no follow through.

I agree, very much doubt it would happen. But it would be quite something if they pulled it off. I imagine a few of the knuckle draggers from club 1871 would join them
If they did think it was a proper protest from our fans. But yeah it’s just twats giving it the bigun I’m sure

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Feb 2024 23:28

Pretty sure that's all tongue in cheek.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Feb 2024 06:22

Brogue
Snowflake Royal

I agree, very much doubt it would happen. But it would be quite something if they pulled it off. I imagine a few of the knuckle draggers from club 1871 would join them
If they did think it was a proper protest from our fans. But yeah it’s just twats giving it the bigun I’m sure

And even if it did happen I'm sure the club could just point to the likely high proportion of SE London area home addresses involved plus the subtle way the "plan" was "secretly" put together on tw@tter to get out of it.

Anyway knowing Reading they'd probably not need to do it anyway as I'm sure the club won't exactly make the result on Saturday plain sailing.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 08 Feb 2024 09:29

Maybe warn them that there's CCTV and allocated seating, so if they're not in the C1871 they will be identified pretty quickly, and as Sutekh says it will be obvious from the address and ticket purchase history.

TBH Charlton are still trying to extracate completely themselves from their previous shit owner, so you'd think they were have more awareness of our situation.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Feb 2024 09:51

tidus_mi2

Would imagine so, would be just our luck though for this to actually happen and the EFL dock points.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 08 Feb 2024 10:00

So everyone's taking Brogue's post seriously? Give yer balls a tug lads :roll:

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 08 Feb 2024 10:06

Classic team board.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 08 Feb 2024 10:18

tidus_mi2

ya think? :|

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 Feb 2024 12:59

Brogue
tidus_mi2

You have to wonder why I instinctively thought you had genuinely believed something so ridiculous

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 08 Feb 2024 13:04

tidus_mi2
Brogue
tidus_mi2 Pretty sure that's all tongue in cheek.

You have to wonder why I instinctively thought you had genuinely believed something so ridiculous

:|

170 posts