186 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Fleetwood Town (a)

by Sutekh » 12 Feb 2024 07:48

When : Tuesday February 13 2024, 7.45pm
Where : Highbury Stadium, Park Avenue, Fleetwood, FY7 6TX
Capacity : 5,327

Another new manager to face here: one time Royals legend :? Charlie Adam who is starting out in his first job at Fleetwood Town as Reading look to do something they've not done in what seems like decades, and win 2 consecutive away league games. Last week's win at Stevenage hurt some so much that residents of the town have apparently been ringing Stansted to ask if they have a plane missing as they can still hear what they assume to be whining from some jet engines coming from the Lamex.

Reading's away midweek record now reads 5 wins from 55 attempts since April 2014 with all 5 wins coming against teams who either begin with 'B' or whose official nickname begins with 'B'. Winning at Fleetwood will finally destroy that as they are the Fisherman or the Cod Army from Fleetwood so not a 'B' in sight!

Fleetwood are currently 23rd in the table 6 points adrift of safety with zero games in hand on those above them. Adam was appointed after a run of just 2 draws from 8 league games saw the end of previous manager Lee Johnson. Since then Adam has improved things having managed 2 wins from the last 8 league games and that could have been a 3rd straight win last Saturday had midfielder Bosun Lawal not been sent off in the first half at Lincoln, with the Cod Army leading 1-0, so it would suggest that Charlie Adam is starting to make a difference at the club. The two goals conceded at Lincoln were the first conceded by the club in 240 minutes so the defensive side of the game has greatly improved and Reading could therefore find Fleetwood very difficult to break down.

Forwards Promise Omochere, Jayden Stockley and Jack Marriott are where the threat lies though Josh Vela should be watched carefully after his late late winner at the Madejski in October. Thankfully, following his dismissal at Lincoln, Lawal will be suspended so he won't be able to score against Reading again!

Think we're still in the realms of just Holmes being injured with Camara I think being the only other casualty as I haven't seen his name on a team sheet for Academy or seniors for weeks. Would expect some team changes though, given the run of so many games in February (7 games in 21 days) of which this one is the fourth.

There is a full programme of third tier fixtures on this Tuesday and both Burton (home v Carlisle) and Cambridge (away at Pompey) are just a point above Reading while only Charlton (home to Lincoln) and Shrewsbury (home to Barnsley) can realistically catch the Royals.

Referee

Simon Mather

Previously

05-Aug-23 > Reading 0-1 Peterborough United

Historically

No previous visits to Fleetwood at all for anything - pretty much what most people would hope for from a life then!

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Fleetwood Town (a)

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Feb 2024 08:32

A draw is likely the best we can hope for given our previous two wins, general away record and midweek away record.

We're still very dependent on wonder goals with Smith getting very little service and few chances.

Savage vs Craig is a real conundrum.

Savage plays higher tempo, with more incisive attempted passing and snaps into challenges. Plus he carries a bit of a goal threat. But we lack control and composure in possession with him in, and he's less present screening defence.

Craig on the other hand plays slower and more composed. He screens the defence excellently, but isn’t one for stealing the ball on the halfway line as much. His passing is more reliable but less ambitious, and you're almost certainly not going to see him shoot.

This is probably another one for Savage, but I'd definitely want Craig starting against the better teams, like Pompey. If at any point by some miracle we're playing a game already safe, I'd like to see what Savage and Craig can do together.

Otherwise, I don't think much in the way of changes are for consideration... I'd move Dorsett back in for Mola, but keep Kelv where he is.

And I want to see more minutes for Abrefa as a sub, and if we're winning, a cameo for Wareham would be nice.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Feb 2024 09:07

Think we’ll start same team as Charlton. Maybe Mukairu in for Kelv, though thought Kelv had a good game on Sat

Perfectly capable of winning this one. Don’t see any real reason we can’t, we should be stronger than Fleetwood and they’ll be a little desperate for the points whilst we can be patient - draw is ok for us

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Feb 2024 09:27

Hard to disagree that we probably shouldn't make any changed unless enforced tomorrow - would likely look to rotate at Pompey where a result is less likely.

Could see Mola & Dorsett swap if Selles decides we need a little more physicality otherwise leave as is and tweak as Feb goes on to give players a rest.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 12 Feb 2024 13:23

some eagle-eyed fans spotted Smith limping off the pitch at full-time and didn't participate in the celebrations at the end. Reckon he will be rested. maybe a first start for wareham?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Feb 2024 13:58

Brogue some eagle-eyed fans spotted Smith limping off the pitch at full-time and didn't participate in the celebrations at the end. Reckon he will be rested. maybe a first start for wareham?

Maybe Kelvin or Azeez up top with Paul M. coming in?

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 12 Feb 2024 14:46

Stranded Hard to disagree that we probably shouldn't make any changed unless enforced tomorrow - would likely look to rotate at Pompey where a result is less likely.

Could see Mola & Dorsett swap if Selles decides we need a little more physicality otherwise leave as is and tweak as Feb goes on to give players a rest.

Imagine getting some sort of result at Pomps. Particularly as we've got a decent support attending. I've got a few ties down there and, with our recent run, they're definitely not taking it as a given.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Feb 2024 15:28

The Cap
Stranded Hard to disagree that we probably shouldn't make any changed unless enforced tomorrow - would likely look to rotate at Pompey where a result is less likely.

Imagine getting some sort of result at Pomps. Particularly as we've got a decent support attending. I've got a few ties down there and, with our recent run, they're definitely not taking it as a given.

It's not out of the question - over 10 and 12 games we are in better form than them and over shorter periods we are only 1 or 2 points off them. Our opponents have also been tougher over that run.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 12 Feb 2024 15:32

Just over 500 sold as of late morning according to reading twitter

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 12 Feb 2024 15:35

I am not going to this one, but will always take a point away from home.

A slight change of subject about Sky Sports . A mate at work seems to think we are getting quite a bit of coverage before games and even getting mentioned on some of their chat shows. I’ve not seen anything so just wondered if anyone else has noticed this?

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 12 Feb 2024 16:25

blythspartan I am not going to this one, but will always take a point away from home.

A slight change of subject about Sky Sports . A mate at work seems to think we are getting quite a bit of coverage before games and even getting mentioned on some of their chat shows. I’ve not seen anything so just wondered if anyone else has noticed this?

Yes, I've noticed that funny enough. Ever since there was all that furore from 'Unbelievable Jeff' over the lack of coverage regarding the pitch invasion, it's as though they think they're going to miss something by not attending. Also did anybody notice that when we drew at Oxfud, matie boy on Sky referred to them as Oxfud Citeh? :lol: WTF?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Feb 2024 08:01

Brogue Just over 500 sold as of late morning according to reading twitter

Bloody good turn out for a Tuesday given where the game is.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 13 Feb 2024 09:00

Fear a heavy defeat tonight.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 13 Feb 2024 09:37

A lot of us may be suffering from over confidence about tonight, but I expect neither the management nor the team will be.

This should be winnable, but it's likely to be anything but routine.

Woudn't do any harm to rest Smith - something like Ehibhatiomhan in the centre with Mukairu on the left and Azeez on the right.

Not much to choose between Savage and Craig for me now that Savage looks hungry again - they have fairly similar attributes, but Savage has the edge in terms of goal threat and set pieces.

We know they stayed in a hotel last night (Monday) so they will be better prepared that we feared when the hotel embargo was announced.

Three points would be amazing, would settle for one.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 13 Feb 2024 09:42

The Cap
blythspartan I am not going to this one, but will always take a point away from home.

Yes, I've noticed that funny enough. Ever since there was all that furore from 'Unbelievable Jeff' over the lack of coverage regarding the pitch invasion, it's as though they think they're going to miss something by not attending. Also did anybody notice that when we drew at Oxfud, matie boy on Sky referred to them as Oxfud Citeh? :lol: WTF?

We got a LOT of coverage before the Leyton orient home game yeah. Assumed the same, as a result of criticism from Stelling

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Feb 2024 10:12

Armadillo Roadkill A lot of us may be suffering from over confidence about tonight, but I expect neither the management nor the team will be.

Woudn't do any harm to rest Smith - something like Ehibhatiomhan in the centre with Mukairu on the left and Azeez on the right.

Not much to choose between Savage and Craig for me now that Savage looks hungry again - they have fairly similar attributes, but Savage has the edge in terms of goal threat and set pieces.

We know they stayed in a hotel last night (Monday) so they will be better prepared that we feared when the hotel embargo was announced.

Problem with resting Smith and putting Ehibhatiomhan in the middle is he is a different type of forward and makes the way we play slightly different. If we are going to rest Smith, and that is not a bad thing, then I would be tempted to give Wareham a debut as they are very similar players.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 13 Feb 2024 10:58

Stranded
Armadillo Roadkill A lot of us may be suffering from over confidence about tonight, but I expect neither the management nor the team will be.

Problem with resting Smith and putting Ehibhatiomhan in the middle is he is a different type of forward and makes the way we play slightly different. If we are going to rest Smith, and that is not a bad thing, then I would be tempted to give Wareham a debut as they are very similar players.

That's my thought. If Smith isn't playing for whatever reason and Ehib is his replacement, we'd have to change the structure of the side to allow for Ehib to be effective. Wareham seems to be a much more similar player to Smith and that would also allow for Ehib to continue out wide where he's looked dangerous in the past few games.

The fact Wareham was on the bench against Charlton probably suggests he will be involved in first team games at some point in the near future.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 13 Feb 2024 11:01

I do think we'll eventually have to give Smith a rest and try something else otherwise we'll just run him into the ground. I'm not sure Fleetwood is the game to experiment, maybe Portsmouth?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 13 Feb 2024 11:58

I think we put out our strongest possible side this evening and go all out for the win; none of that "a point will do" attitude.

The reasons? Firstly, winning becomes a habit; we are on a great run of form, keep it going. Secondly, let's try to ensure that Fleetood stay well below us in the table, thirdly, lets keep the pressure on those teams immediately above us - we want them to start looking down the table, and not up, and finally, the teams (and the fan's) morale will be sky high with another win.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 13 Feb 2024 12:35

Completely agree. Also takes pressure off the Pompey game if we move further ahead of the drop zone. Tonight is more important than Saturday for me.

186 posts