MATCHWATCH : Portsmouth (a)

193 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Portsmouth (a)

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Feb 2024 09:38

Perhaps if I win the Euromillions I won't rescue Reading. I'll buy Pompey just so I can liquidate them.

yuomi

by yuomi » 16 Feb 2024 09:55

It's weird that, outside of local rivals, it's fans of clubs like Derby and Portsmouth, who've both been within days of liquidation, who are enjoying our plight/wishing the worst for us. Yeah, it's all banter (ugh) at the end of the day, but there are some people you think would know better.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Feb 2024 09:58

I think we dished it out at the time. Which is surprising for Derby in particular, given we were poorly run at the time and clearly at risk of going in the same direction.

When it was Pompey, it was just one of those things that happened to other clubs which we didn't feel at risk from.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 16 Feb 2024 10:46

WestYorksRoyal I think we dished it out at the time. Which is surprising for Derby in particular, given we were poorly run at the time and clearly at risk of going in the same direction.

When it was Pompey, it was just one of those things that happened to other clubs which we didn't feel at risk from.

I feel with Pompey, there was a perception that they had cheated their way to an FA Cup win in 2008 by getting into massive debt along the way, whilst also having a hand in our relegation by failing to turn up against Fulham the week before the final. As such, their demise was partly seen as comeuppance.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 Feb 2024 10:48

WestYorksRoyal Perhaps if I win the Euromillions I won't rescue Reading. I'll buy Pompey just so I can liquidate them.

Not sure you'd pass the fit and proper test......

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Feb 2024 10:49

Winchester Royal
WestYorksRoyal I think we dished it out at the time. Which is surprising for Derby in particular, given we were poorly run at the time and clearly at risk of going in the same direction.

I feel with Pompey, there was a perception that they had cheated their way to an FA Cup win in 2008 by getting into massive debt along the way, whilst also having a hand in our relegation by failing to turn up against Fulham the week before the final. As such, their demise was partly seen as comeuppance.

Tbf, if we get taken over this season and promoted in 2 - 3 years, we haven't had it anywhere near as bad as Pompey. Didn't they have 3 or 4 terrible owners in a row and nearly fell out of L2? And haven't been in the Championship since 2012?

Of course, it could become that bad for us. Just shows how long these cycles can go on for.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 16 Feb 2024 11:08

WestYorksRoyal
Winchester Royal

Tbf, if we get taken over this season and promoted in 2 - 3 years, we haven't had it anywhere near as bad as Pompey. Didn't they have 3 or 4 terrible owners in a row and nearly fell out of L2? And haven't been in the Championship since 2012?

Of course, it could become that bad for us. Just shows how long these cycles can go on for.

We haven't had it as bad, but we also haven't had it as good.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Feb 2024 11:50

Winchester Royal

And we had a twat on here pretending they'd done nothing wrong, saying they were better run than us and we'd go into Admin first.

And there's the twat with the bell.

Derby was mainly that they'd really obviously cheated with Rooney and got loads of positive media attention out of it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Feb 2024 12:02

Snowflake Royal
Winchester Royal

And we had a twat on here pretending they'd done nothing wrong, saying they were better run than us and we'd go into Admin first.

Derby was mainly that they'd really obviously cheated with Rooney and got loads of positive media attention out of it.

Yeah the media love in with Rooney really wound me up that year. Certainly never wanted them to go bust mind you

And I think like us they deserved the relegation for the cheating and overspending. The stadium sale took the piss

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Feb 2024 12:05

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Winchester Royal

Yeah the media love in with Rooney really wound me up that year. Certainly never wanted them to go bust mind you

And I think like us they deserved the relegation for the cheating and overspending. The stadium sale took the piss

I've leaned towards someone with a big name needs to go to force some actual regulation.

And I'm still resigned to us going. But we're not really a big enough name.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 16 Feb 2024 12:17

WestYorksRoyal
Winchester Royal

Haven't they been in administration three times?

Pompey got several years in the premier league, two cup final appearances, one as winners, from their overspending.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Feb 2024 12:26

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal And we had a twat on here pretending they'd done nothing wrong, saying they were better run than us and we'd go into Admin first.

I've leaned towards someone with a big name needs to go to force some actual regulation.

And I'm still resigned to us going. But we're not really a big enough name.

Everton will be the tipping point. It feels like there is a new article on 777's unsuitability every week. Unpaid player wages and transfer fees at other clubs, debts outstanding to aircraft leasing and credit card companies. But they've already loaned £180m to help keep Everton afloat. So the PL know that rejecting them is a disaster.

If they stick to their principles and make the right decision, Everton are fcuked and the government will suddenly find urgency for the new regulator. If they make the easy choice and approve them, expect years of scandal and uncertainty eventually culminating at the same point.

I know what my money's on.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 16 Feb 2024 12:52

The PL Everton decision is going to be very interesting. Feels like the local MPs, Liverpool mayor Steve Rotheram and Everton-supporting Manchester mayor Andy Burnham are desperately trying to sway the outcome. Does rather shine a dim light on what our locally elected bods are doing for us. Has Alok even mentioned our plight?

mikey_1871

by mikey_1871 » 16 Feb 2024 13:20

Whore Jackie The PL Everton decision is going to be very interesting. Feels like the local MPs, Liverpool mayor Steve Rotheram and Everton-supporting Manchester mayor Andy Burnham are desperately trying to sway the outcome. Does rather shine a dim light on what our locally elected bods are doing for us. Has Alok even mentioned our plight?

Matt Rodda certainly has

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 16 Feb 2024 14:53

yuomi It's weird that, outside of local rivals, it's fans of clubs like Derby and Portsmouth, who've both been within days of liquidation, who are enjoying our plight/wishing the worst for us. Yeah, it's all banter (ugh) at the end of the day, but there are some people you think would know better.

It's easy to be sanctimonious but did any of us really give a shit when Derby and Portsmouth were in the shit? I mean really give a shit?

Reader, I'll be honest, I didn't.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 16 Feb 2024 15:15

Green
yuomi It's weird that, outside of local rivals, it's fans of clubs like Derby and Portsmouth, who've both been within days of liquidation, who are enjoying our plight/wishing the worst for us. Yeah, it's all banter (ugh) at the end of the day, but there are some people you think would know better.

It's easy to be sanctimonious but did any of us really give a shit when Derby and Portsmouth were in the shit? I mean really give a shit?

Same, and re above, we really dished it out to Derby during the 2-2 draw a couple of years ago when they were docked 20 odd points

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Feb 2024 15:47

Whore Jackie The PL Everton decision is going to be very interesting. Feels like the local MPs, Liverpool mayor Steve Rotheram and Everton-supporting Manchester mayor Andy Burnham are desperately trying to sway the outcome. Does rather shine a dim light on what our locally elected bods are doing for us. Has Alok even mentioned our plight?

Yes, there's a big push from local MPs as well as Damien Green and Oliver Heald.

Green and Heald are Reading fans who represent other parts of the country so big respect to them, there's no votes in it for them.

James Sunderland (Bracknell) and Alok Sharma (Reading West) alsosigned onto a letter Green and Heald wrote to the Sport secretary in September. Matt Rodda (Reading East, probably going to represent Reading Central at the next election) cottoned on around the same time and Sunderland has praised him. Latterly Theresa May (Maidenhead) and John Redwood (Wokingham) have also been lobbying the Sport secretary alongside the others.

Redwood's been a bit shit all things considered -aren't the Madejski and Bearwood in his constituency? - but hard to knock the others. Sharma's standing down so could easily phone it in but hasn't, we're not May's local club but obvs there are loads of Reading fans in Maidenhead.

Windsor's MP is mired in scandal and standing down so he's the floor. Would be nice to get some support from MPs for Newbury, North East Hampshire, and Henley - surely there are Reading fans in their constituencies who can pressure them?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Feb 2024 16:02

Mid Sussex Royal
Green

Same, and re above, we really dished it out to Derby during the 2-2 draw a couple of years ago when they were docked 20 odd points

I wouldn’t say that counts.

That's like ripping into an ex player all game. You still clap them before and after and wish them well for their other games.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Feb 2024 16:42

Winchester Royal

Didn't much of the football fraternity feel the same way over Pompey though?

Fezza

by Fezza » 16 Feb 2024 16:56

SCIAG

Yes, there's a big push from local MPs as well as Damien Green and Oliver Heald.

Green and Heald are Reading fans who represent other parts of the country so big respect to them, there's no votes in it for them.

James Sunderland (Bracknell) and Alok Sharma (Reading West) alsosigned onto a letter Green and Heald wrote to the Sport secretary in September. Matt Rodda (Reading East, probably going to represent Reading Central at the next election) cottoned on around the same time and Sunderland has praised him. Latterly Theresa May (Maidenhead) and John Redwood (Wokingham) have also been lobbying the Sport secretary alongside the others.

Redwood's been a bit shit all things considered -aren't the Madejski and Bearwood in his constituency? - but hard to knock the others. Sharma's standing down so could easily phone it in but hasn't, we're not May's local club but obvs there are loads of Reading fans in Maidenhead.

Windsor's MP is mired in scandal and standing down so he's the floor. Would be nice to get some support from MPs for Newbury, North East Hampshire, and Henley - surely there are Reading fans in their constituencies who can pressure them?

Tried with Howell in Henley, he got his secretary to reply with some generic nonsense. He's standing down at the next election, however the lack of responses / engagement is consistent with the rest of his time as an MP. Utter waste of space.

193 posts