MATCHWATCH : Portsmouth (a)

193 posts
Who Moved The Goalposts?

Re: MATCHWATCH : Portsmouth (a)

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 16 Feb 2024 17:12

Green It's easy to be sanctimonious but did any of us really give a shit when Derby and Portsmouth were in the shit? I mean really give a shit?

Reader, I'll be honest, I didn't.

I did about Portsmouth - and not in a good way. It made me rage at the time - the club were paying £100k a week to players while knowing full well (and for a long time) that all the local suppliers would soon be shafted and get pennies in the £ come admin. And then stealing the money from the buckets passed round collecting for St John Ambulance. And then, in one of the first acts after exiting admin, offering £20k a week to Dave Kitson - making everyone aware they had learned absolutely nothing. And that's not even taking into account the 10 changes they made before the FA Cup final, when all we needed was them to draw. This last point is the thing that I care least about, because it was down to us that we never survived that season, but their action still brought the game into disrepute.

Half Horse
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Half Horse » 16 Feb 2024 19:20

Any recommendations for pubs please? We are arriving at Fratton station.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Feb 2024 19:36

The Rifle tonight (but so not advisable tomorrow)

Half Horse
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Half Horse » 16 Feb 2024 19:40

AthleticoSpizz The Rifle tonight (but so not advisable tomorrow)

I'm a Hicks hoof from The Rifle but staying in tonight. Thanks for the invite, though :)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Feb 2024 19:45

Probably wise :wink: I have a pint lined-up with John Anthony ‘Portsmouth FC’ Westwood tomorrow ….so mein host says :|

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 16 Feb 2024 21:33

Hound Do worry a bit of fatigue - mental and physical - might kick in. Been a tough if successful few weeks. Long journeys on midweek etc

Still not out of the question that we pick up points here.

LOFL.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 17 Feb 2024 02:26

Half Horse Any recommendations for pubs please? We are arriving at Fratton station.

Shepherd's Crook. Remember back in the day when we turned up with a few of the Chelsea lads, and then later on the ol' bill were broadcasting "The Great unwashed have just exited the Shepherd's Crook" :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Feb 2024 07:32

Fezza
SCIAG
Whore Jackie The PL Everton decision is going to be very interesting. Feels like the local MPs, Liverpool mayor Steve Rotheram and Everton-supporting Manchester mayor Andy Burnham are desperately trying to sway the outcome. Does rather shine a dim light on what our locally elected bods are doing for us. Has Alok even mentioned our plight?

Yes, there's a big push from local MPs as well as Damien Green and Oliver Heald.

Green and Heald are Reading fans who represent other parts of the country so big respect to them, there's no votes in it for them.

James Sunderland (Bracknell) and Alok Sharma (Reading West) alsosigned onto a letter Green and Heald wrote to the Sport secretary in September. Matt Rodda (Reading East, probably going to represent Reading Central at the next election) cottoned on around the same time and Sunderland has praised him. Latterly Theresa May (Maidenhead) and John Redwood (Wokingham) have also been lobbying the Sport secretary alongside the others.

Redwood's been a bit shit all things considered -aren't the Madejski and Bearwood in his constituency? - but hard to knock the others. Sharma's standing down so could easily phone it in but hasn't, we're not May's local club but obvs there are loads of Reading fans in Maidenhead.

Windsor's MP is mired in scandal and standing down so he's the floor. Would be nice to get some support from MPs for Newbury, North East Hampshire, and Henley - surely there are Reading fans in their constituencies who can pressure them?

Tried with Howell in Henley, he got his secretary to reply with some generic nonsense. He's standing down at the next election, however the lack of responses / engagement is consistent with the rest of his time as an MP. Utter waste of space.

Of course, all this interest and "action", on some parts, would be nothing to do with an upcoming election.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Feb 2024 07:47

Who Moved The Goalposts?
Green It's easy to be sanctimonious but did any of us really give a shit when Derby and Portsmouth were in the shit? I mean really give a shit?

I did about Portsmouth - and not in a good way. It made me rage at the time - the club were paying £100k a week to players while knowing full well (and for a long time) that all the local suppliers would soon be shafted and get pennies in the £ come admin. And then stealing the money from the buckets passed round collecting for St John Ambulance. And then, in one of the first acts after exiting admin, offering £20k a week to Dave Kitson - making everyone aware they had learned absolutely nothing. And that's not even taking into account the 10 changes they made before the FA Cup final, when all we needed was them to draw. This last point is the thing that I care least about, because it was down to us that we never survived that season, but their action still brought the game into disrepute.

This rings a bell with things at that time, it wasn't just a club that had been done over by idiots for owners it seemed to be a case of despite the idiocy that some fans were proud about it and felt that nothing would touch them as, well, they were in the PL and the PL wouldn't do anything!

At the end of the day no one learned anything, the PL and FL still have inadequate FFP rules that still allow stuff like Pompey to go on while owners certainly don't pay any attention to it. Since Pompey we've had Bournemouth and Wolves trying and getting away with it while Bolton eventually collapsed and QPR have sunk to a persistant low they can't get out of. Meanwhile WBA and Stoke have been perilously close and the former may still have some "difficulties" ahead. Then there's "basket cases" like Everton and Forest and the disgrace that is Man City trying to "persuade" authorities that there's "nothing to see here".

Proves that the clubs and officiating organisations can't be trusted to govern themselves properly and that an "armed and dangerous" independent regulator is required.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 17 Feb 2024 09:22

Last league visit to Pompy was 2011? Kitson scored their winner?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Feb 2024 11:45

AthleticoSpizz Probably wise :wink: I have a pint lined-up with John Anthony ‘Portsmouth FC’ Westwood tomorrow ….so mein host says :|

Did you keep any weapons from your army days you might use on him?

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 17 Feb 2024 12:18

Fear the worst. can see a 6-0 drubbing!

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 17 Feb 2024 13:56

karbota Fear the worst. can see a 6-0 drubbing!

Parky not the manager here yet,

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 17 Feb 2024 13:58

Sutekh
Who Moved The Goalposts?

This rings a bell with things at that time, it wasn't just a club that had been done over by idiots for owners it seemed to be a case of despite the idiocy that some fans were proud about it and felt that nothing would touch them as, well, they were in the PL and the PL wouldn't do anything!

At the end of the day no one learned anything, the PL and FL still have inadequate FFP rules that still allow stuff like Pompey to go on while owners certainly don't pay any attention to it. Since Pompey we've had Bournemouth and Wolves trying and getting away with it while Bolton eventually collapsed and QPR have sunk to a persistant low they can't get out of. Meanwhile WBA and Stoke have been perilously close and the former may still have some "difficulties" ahead. Then there's "basket cases" like Everton and Forest and the disgrace that is Man City trying to "persuade" authorities that there's "nothing to see here".

Proves that the clubs and officiating organisations can't be trusted to govern themselves properly and that an "armed and dangerous" independent regulator is required.

Couldn't have put this better!! Well said!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Feb 2024 14:02

Savage and Dorsett out, Craig and Yiadom in

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Feb 2024 14:15

Saving Smith for the two crucial home games next week it seems.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Feb 2024 14:16

Good luck to Kelv, who will be getting very little out of this.

Craig back to screen defence more is good. And Yids is obviously our best RB.

I feel Mbengue is either going to have a stormer, or calamity.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Feb 2024 14:33

Don't get the Smith decision. If he's not fit to play, leave him out for a proper rest. If he is fit, start him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Feb 2024 14:55

Jesus, how embarrassing is the fat sailor with the stupid Pompey sign.

Now that's proper tinpot.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Feb 2024 15:03

Good kick off. Dellor's already got the player on the ball wrong twice in one minute. :lol:

193 posts