193 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Portsmouth (a)

by Sutekh » 14 Feb 2024 15:40

When : Saturday February 17 2024, 3pm
Where : Fratton Park, Frogmore Road, Milton, PO4 8RA
Capacity : 20,899

Yet another away game next (this makes 3 from the last 4) and they theoretically shouldn't come any harder than away to the league leaders so the remaining fixtures after this one this season should be the proverbial cakewalk.

Pompey provide what should be a derby opponent, but never has been, due to their interest in winding Southampton fans up more so despite Portsmouth's largely disappointing last half century of knocking about in the lower divisions with clubs like Reading there's never been much of a derby feel although there has been some "bad feeling" about them due to their financial antics in the early 2000s, that game v Fulham and that damn bell.

The bellringers have only lost 4 games from the 33 they've played in the league so far and consequently they are 6 points clear at the top of the division so even if a Reading miracle does happen Pompey will still be looking down on the rest of the table, therefore hopefully there might be a bit of complacency at the back of their minds as they face little old "relegation haunted" and "financial basket case" club Reading.

Recent form has been not quite what it was at the start of the season too so it maybe just the right time to have to visit the south coast. Having started with just 1 defeat in the first 21 games, Portsmouth have now really hit the skids with 3 defeats in the last 12. They've been sunk at home twice and defeats at home this season seem to be rather spectacular having been done 4-0 by Blackpool and then 3-0 by Leyton Orient, so if Reading can keep a clean sheet there's a real chance of that miracle.

That said they have won 5 of their last 6 and comfortably did away with Cambridge on Tuesday night (and even more comfortably did away with Northampton in the home game before that). However there have been no home clean sheets since 11 December and as we know from the game at the SCL earlier Pompey have weaknesses which Reading can exploit.

Reading need to stop striker Colby Bishop who has scored 15 in 31 games. Highest performing midfielder is 10 goal Paddy Lane while set pieces seem to be providing an outlet for defenders to express themselves with both Regan Poole and Conor Shaughnessy netting 3 apiece so far.

Tom McIntyre is injured and so will miss the chance of this reunion with his former Reading team mates. Tom Holmes is out for another month at least, while Sam Smith and Andy Yiadom may return after being rotated. Also very likely to be missing will be Jeriel Dorsett after being crocked at Fleetwood early on.

Referee

Josh Smith

Previously

No history

Historically

Fratton Park is usually not a pleasant place for Reading. The 21 previous visits to this particular spot on the south coast has seen a return of just 2 victories while Portsmouth have inflicted 12 defeats. Reading have failed to keep a clean sheet there since 1997 which is 7 games ago and have only scored more than 2 in a league game there on 1 occasion and that was in the process of losing 7-4!

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Portsmouth (a)

by Mid Sussex Royal » 14 Feb 2024 15:44

Can definitely get something from this, they have a number of players out and lost more last night.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 14 Feb 2024 16:15

Fear a heavy defeat here.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 14 Feb 2024 17:17

NathStPaul Fear a heavy defeat here.

Let's just hope Sam Smith and John Holmes are both available, Holmes should stiffen up our defense and will provide extra penetration going forward.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 14 Feb 2024 17:40

I am really looking forward to this one. Going to Fratton Park has always been one of my favourite away days. I reckon we could sneak a win, as I don’t think we should fear anyone in this league. Probably famous last words but here’s hoping.

I don’t mind one song Pompey and the first game I saw us play against them was back at Elm Park in April 1979 when we won 2-0 and they took over the South Bank.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 14 Feb 2024 18:21

This is the real test on how far we've come and where we are, if we get a draw it will be a super result , if we lose it's not unexpected and we move on and continue with the tremendous recent form and spirit the team have attained

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Feb 2024 18:29

Do worry a bit of fatigue - mental and physical - might kick in. Been a tough if successful few weeks. Long journeys on midweek etc

Still not out of the question that we pick up points here.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 14 Feb 2024 19:15

blythspartan I am really looking forward to this one. Going to Fratton Park has always been one of my favourite away days. I reckon we could sneak a win, as I don’t think we should fear anyone in this league. Probably famous last words but here’s hoping.

I don’t mind one song Pompey and the first game I saw us play against them was back at Elm Park in April 1979 when we won 2-0 and they took over the South Bank.

Really looking forward to this one! Fratton Park has one of the best atmospheres going and with them being top of the league and our amazing away support i really hope we can give them a good game.
A draw would be amazing, however, i really feel we need to take the lead here to quieten the crowd if we are to get something from the game.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 14 Feb 2024 19:31

Last time I went to Fratton Park Pompey had a young Michael Thomas on loan from Arsenal playing at full back. Looked a bit useful! (Just checked it was 1986 :shock: )

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Feb 2024 21:05

Hound Do worry a bit of fatigue - mental and physical - might kick in. Been a tough if successful few weeks. Long journeys on midweek etc

We've seen plenty of Reading sides in recent years start to look complacent and dragged back in as well.

But yeah, free hit. Points far from impossible

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Feb 2024 08:54

Mid Sussex Royal Can definitely get something from this, they have a number of players out and lost more last night.

Along with Tom McIntyre and Terry Devlin they have 4 midfielders out; Stevenson, Lowery, Morell and Robertson - while they have a shed load of midfielders on their books, most are youngsters, and it could be that Faustino Anjorin might even get a game or that Conor Shaughnessy might be moved out of defence to cover.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Feb 2024 08:59

Sutekh
Mid Sussex Royal Can definitely get something from this, they have a number of players out and lost more last night.

Along with Tom McIntyre and Terry Devlin they have 4 midfielders out; Stevenson, Lowery, Morell and Robertson - while they have a shed load of midfielders on their books, most are youngsters, and it could be that Faustino Anjorin might even get a game or that Conor Shaughnessy might be moved out of defence to cover.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Owen Moxon get his first start for them - very tidy player.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 15 Feb 2024 11:41

Hound Do worry a bit of fatigue - mental and physical - might kick in. Been a tough if successful few weeks. Long journeys on midweek etc

Totally agree with your thoughts regarding fatigue, Hound. However, if the squad are mentally prepared for this game and with the support that are travelling down. Oh and being down Pompey straits, accompanied by a fair wind...then maybe, just maybe, you never know. Let's not forget that we have players who can produce special moments. As witnessed recently.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 15 Feb 2024 12:41

Thankfully this doesn't feel like a must win match, so hopefully the boys can go in without any pressure. Losing doesn't necessarily hurt our survival chances and point(s) will be a bonus so they can go out there and see what happens.

The later games against lower league opposition are what will make or break our season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Feb 2024 13:18

Interestingly* Portsmouth and us are the only teams in the division not to have lost in the last 6 games. Whilst we are W3 D3 they are W5 D1.

Also of interest* but over the past 12 games - nobody has a better defence than us and only 8 sides have scored more. We have scored the same number of goals as Pompey (17) but they have conceded 2 more than us (11 v 13). If it weren't for the late equaliser on Tues, we would stand alone as the best defence over the past 12.

We have had a tougher run of games over that period of time as out opponents are averaged a weighted 1.41 PPG compared to 1.19 for them.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Feb 2024 16:56

MouldyRoyal Thankfully this doesn't feel like a must win match, so hopefully the boys can go in without any pressure. Losing doesn't necessarily hurt our survival chances and point(s) will be a bonus so they can go out there and see what happens.

The later games against lower league opposition are what will make or break our season.

Cambridge (Carlisle away), Burton (Orient away), Shrewsbury (Wigan home) and Charlton (Bolton away) can all get above Reading to drop them back down to 20th if the results are cr@p (for Reading) on Saturday.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Feb 2024 07:30

Sutekh
MouldyRoyal Thankfully this doesn't feel like a must win match, so hopefully the boys can go in without any pressure. Losing doesn't necessarily hurt our survival chances and point(s) will be a bonus so they can go out there and see what happens.

Cambridge (Carlisle away), Burton (Orient away), Shrewsbury (Wigan home) and Charlton (Bolton away) can all get above Reading to drop them back down to 20th if the results are cr@p (for Reading) on Saturday.

Cheltenham v Port Vale tomorrow too, so someone could close the gap but someone will drop points.

Assuming we lose tomorrow (can't be disappointed then :wink: ) then think we will drop a couple of spots - can see Cambridge and Shrewsbury both getting at least draws - Burton and Charlton are, like us, looking at relative free hits and will likely walk away with 0 points but hoping they don't take a whack on the GD.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Feb 2024 09:29

Bless em.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 Feb 2024 09:33

windermereROYAL

Bless em.

Don't cry about it M9.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Feb 2024 09:36

In the slim chance we win tomorrow, I cannot wait for the Mafff re-tweet fest.

193 posts