MATCHWATCH : Port Vale (h)

202 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Port Vale (h)

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Feb 2024 18:56

Hound I do till feel we need to try to grab as many points whilst everyone basically is fit. Still scares me that we rely on Azeez who was perma-injured before this year, then Smith who gets a beating every game, plus Wing and Knibbs who have played a lot this season

On the flip side, after the next 2 our fixture list is much lighter. Fitness should be easier to manage and injury risk lower. Obviously you can't account for a broken ankle, ACL or something.

Meatwad

by Meatwad » 19 Feb 2024 19:38

Tomorrow is a must win if there ever was one. Port Vale have been pretty gash the past little bit, but still cannot take them lightly as they need every single point they can get. Don't care if Azeez has to hump it in, or Smith does a bicycle kick from midfield, hits two of their defenders faces, their keeper drops it, and then it goes in...as long as we win.

For those who are going, bring the noise!

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 20 Feb 2024 07:56

I am firmly in the "must win" camp for this game; not just for the 3 points (obvs) but for the boost to morale and the psychological benefits that a win right now against a team we are battling against at the bottom will bring.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 20 Feb 2024 08:38

Hound I do till feel we need to try to grab as many points whilst everyone basically is fit. Still scares me that we rely on Azeez who was perma-injured before this year, then Smith who gets a beating every game, plus Wing and Knibbs who have played a lot this season

I'm with Hound on this one.

We will struggle at some stage before the end of the season, and we will lose key players, it's almost inevitable. It's vital to get the points now.

We also cannot be sure there will not be any other point deducted. It feels unlikely, but the threat is there.

On a sliding scale where 10 is must win and 0 is a pre-season friendly. this is an 8.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Feb 2024 08:43

Any one lumping this into the "must not lose" realm, is potentially consciously or subconsciously protecting themselves mentally should it go tits up.

After tonight we will have played at least 1 game more than every team in the bottom half with the exception of Exeter. If we win it, that Vale and Cheltenaham can only go past us with minimum 2 wins and a draw (unless they are two massive wins) from their 3 in hand - Charlton cannot pass us, Shrewsbury cannot pass us - so we can be "safe" in the knowledge that as long we match sides below us points wise over the other 12 games, the games in hand mean very little.

If we draw, then Charlton and Shrewsbury can jump over us with a win, Vale with 2 wins from their 3 in hand and Cheltenham with 1 win and 2 draws.

Lose, Charlton still need a win, Shrewsbury just a draw, Vale 2 draws and Cheltenham 1 win and a draw.

Also the boost from winning going into the upcoming winnable games will be massive, failure to win makes it 3 on the spin and the pressure kranks up.

So whilst not terminal if we don't win, for me, given there is so much out of our hands at the mo, this is as close to a must win as a game can be - and if we play as well as we can, we will win.

Really looking forward to the game tonight.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Feb 2024 10:05

The next 7 games are going to be the defining factor in the season in what is generally a pretty favourable run outside of Derby away (where we hold a "decent" record). The only issue I see is that we've had a very good run of form up to this point, so it's about how we can sustain that really.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Feb 2024 10:14

YorkshireRoyal99 The next 7 games are going to be the defining factor in the season in what is generally a pretty favourable run outside of Derby away (where we hold a "decent" record). The only issue I see is that we've had a very good run of form up to this point, so it's about how we can sustain that really.

Realistically do we need a run? 3 wins out of the 7 in any order will do me.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Feb 2024 10:16

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99 The next 7 games are going to be the defining factor in the season in what is generally a pretty favourable run outside of Derby away (where we hold a "decent" record). The only issue I see is that we've had a very good run of form up to this point, so it's about how we can sustain that really.

Realistically do we need a run? 3 wins out of the 7 in any order will do me.

Well no probably not, as you say yeah 3 in 7 with a draw or two scattered about will be a good enough return. I think it's more that, because we've had a run where we've not lost so many times, we don't want to hit a sticky patch where we suddenly lose 4 of out of the 7, for example.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Feb 2024 11:10

We need to win as many games as soon as possible and secure our L1 status - we don't know what the twat of an owner will/or won't do so we need as many points on the board (just typing that shows how low we've sunk).

Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Feb 2024 11:25

leon We need to win as many games as soon as possible and secure our L1 status - we don't know what the twat of an owner will/or won't do so we need as many points on the board (just typing that shows how low we've sunk).

Yeh, a relegation battle to the wire makes a sale more complicated and if we don't get a sale agreed this season it's a disaster.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Feb 2024 11:28

You look at the next 6 games and the only game we are realistically not the favourites in is Derby away, and we recently beat them.

We have to be looking at 12 or more points over this run W4 D1 L1 is doable but realistically we need to win tonight to be on track as the last thing we want at this point is a winless streak of 3 or 4 games.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 20 Feb 2024 12:12

hope we absolutely obliterate them

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Feb 2024 12:18

WestYorksRoyal
leon We need to win as many games as soon as possible and secure our L1 status - we don't know what the twat of an owner will/or won't do so we need as many points on the board (just typing that shows how low we've sunk).

Yeh, a relegation battle to the wire makes a sale more complicated and if we don't get a sale agreed this season it's a disaster.

Yep 100% that. Secure safety and then urgently need to sort out the clubs future

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Feb 2024 12:23

I’m assuming if we score tonight the 1871 firm won’t be charging over to taunt the PV fans?

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 Feb 2024 12:35

PV fans I've met have all been good lads, the last one bought me a pint for RFC fans contributing to that statue.

But tonight, a win takes us to touching distance of 40 pints and we won't need too many more than that to stay up*.

*all sorts of things beyond our control not withstanding

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 20 Feb 2024 14:07

Hound
WestYorksRoyal

Yep 100% that. Secure safety and then urgently need to sort out the clubs future

[Devil's advocate mode]
Yes, but safe and secure means less impact to us from further point deductions, so less need to pay the wages on time...
[\Devil's advocate mode]

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Feb 2024 14:52

stealthpapes But tonight, a win takes us to touching distance of 40 pints

I know I said we need to win as many games as we can but that's possibly overdoing the celebrations on a Tuesday night. :shock:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Feb 2024 16:25

Dirk Gently
Hound
WestYorksRoyal Yeh, a relegation battle to the wire makes a sale more complicated and if we don't get a sale agreed this season it's a disaster.

[Devil's advocate mode]
Yes, but safe and secure means less impact to us from further point deductions, so less need to pay the wages on time...
[\Devil's advocate mode]

Only 2 wage bills left to pay before the end of the season, April is due after season end - now arguably we could still see points deducted from this seasons total if April not paid but that if we are safe even with another 4 off, then likely be held over until next season.

Hopefully, even Dai, in the apparent midst of a sale will pay 2 more wage bills - 3 more tax bills on time. Hopefully.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 20 Feb 2024 16:32

stealthpapes a win takes us to touching distance of 40 pints and we won't need too many more than that to stay up*.

Anyone who can stay up after 40 pints is doing exceptionally well

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Feb 2024 18:06

WestYorksRoyal

On the other hand, the more safe we look, the more the pcunt tries to jack up the price and set negotiations back 5 weeks.

202 posts