MATCHWATCH : Port Vale (h)

202 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Port Vale (h)

by Stranded » 21 Feb 2024 11:03

WestYorksRoyal If we go on a run and look safe with time to spare, surely it has to be worth giving CBC a run? There is a lot of risk changing your keeper when the stakes are high (see Scott Carson England in 2007), but Button simply isn't very good and can't be the long term solution. But perhaps CBC could be?

Will depend on what the thinking is behind the keepers. Button will only be halfway through a 2 year deal, we have an option on Periera too - we may decide that CBC needs a full season out on loan as a first choice next year and may want to give Periera a run to see if we should exercise that option or not (takeover permitting).

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Feb 2024 11:48

Millsy I have a good feeling about this...I'm certain we'll win.

8)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Feb 2024 11:48

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal If we go on a run and look safe with time to spare, surely it has to be worth giving CBC a run? There is a lot of risk changing your keeper when the stakes are high (see Scott Carson England in 2007), but Button simply isn't very good and can't be the long term solution. But perhaps CBC could be?

Will depend on what the thinking is behind the keepers. Button will only be halfway through a 2 year deal, we have an option on Periera too - we may decide that CBC needs a full season out on loan as a first choice next year and may want to give Periera a run to see if we should exercise that option or not (takeover permitting).

Not until the club are more or less completely safe, really don't want CBC picking up any bad confidence issues if he does drop a clanger. As I recall his Huddersfield game wasn't that brilliant.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Feb 2024 11:55

Sutekh
Stranded

Not until the club are more or less completely safe, really don't want CBC picking up any bad confidence issues if he does drop a clanger. As I recall his Huddersfield game wasn't that brilliant.

Very much my point as is the thinking for next year - personally I would be minded not to play him at all this season, ensure he is fully fit then ship him out on loan to say Colchester for a season to get the experience ready to be potential #1 in 25/26. He'll still only be 22 by that point.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Feb 2024 12:01

Stranded
Sutekh
Stranded

Very much my point as is the thinking for next year - personally I would be minded not to play him at all this season, ensure he is fully fit then ship him out on loan to say Colchester for a season to get the experience ready to be potential #1 in 25/26. He'll still only be 22 by that point.

Would agree with that, also Andresson is very much ready and waiting and I'd wouldn't be too upset if the club moved him to be the no 1 next season while CBC was out doing his thing on loan somewhere.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Feb 2024 12:11

Sutekh
Stranded
Sutekh

Would agree with that, also Andresson is very much ready and waiting and I'd wouldn't be too upset if the club moved him to be the no 1 next season while CBC was out doing his thing on loan somewhere.

How has Andresson done? On loan at the bottom team is not a ringing endorsement. Hasn't he been injured a lot too?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Feb 2024 13:43

WestYorksRoyal
Sutekh
Stranded

How has Andresson done? On loan at the bottom team is not a ringing endorsement. Hasn't he been injured a lot too?

Only played 6 games and now not even in the matchday squad. Not sure if injured. Also had a poor loan at Morecombe too that saw him dropped. Have to start to question if he is good enough yet given the evidence of those loans.

Fezza

by Fezza » 21 Feb 2024 13:58

How are Port Vale (and Fleetwood) in the relegation zone, I thought that they passed the ball extremely well and had genuinely good chances to score. Am I missing something obvious? They seemed a long way from the weakest teams I’ve watched this season.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Feb 2024 14:08

Fezza How are Port Vale (and Fleetwood) in the relegation zone, I thought that they passed the ball extremely well and had genuinely good chances to score. Am I missing something obvious? They seemed a long way from the weakest teams I’ve watched this season.

Port Value - they've got a bunch of games in hand and have been on a pretty poor run since the original game v us got abandoned. They've just changed their manager so would expect results to pick up soon.

Fleetwood - seems to be similar situation, they've changed their manager mid-season and are on a better run of form since that change.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 21 Feb 2024 14:44

Millsy
NathStPaul This bloke on the BBC Berks commentary is superior to Dellor in every way.

You absolutely know when you've scored with him that's for sure. Brilliant passion!

Was pleased to hear Jonny Saunders was doing it again, he hadn't done it for ages (Hull away under Ince he said so almost 2 years ago i think - he used to be the main cover for Dellor, actually assumed he'd stopped doing it). But then wasn't so pleased when he kept mispronouncing Azeez...think someone may have had a word with him as he stopped doing it after the first 32 mins. He admitted pre match that he only knew Yiadom from the last match he did and think it showed. Made up for it with those goal calls though!

Can remember the days when he was the presenter pre Ady.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 21 Feb 2024 15:09

I think he spent a while as Chris Evans’ sports guy when Evans started doing the Radio 2 breakfast show.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 21 Feb 2024 15:38

East Grinstead Royal I think he spent a while as Chris Evans’ sports guy when Evans started doing the Radio 2 breakfast show.

Yes he did, they spoke about that pre match. Didn't listen to Chris Evans on R2 that often but seem to recall him telling Evans about going to watch us on a Sat but not admitting that he was working for BBCRB. Maybe he wasn't allowed to.

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 21 Feb 2024 15:49

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal
Sutekh

Only played 6 games and now not even in the matchday squad. Not sure if injured. Also had a poor loan at Morecambe too that saw him dropped. Have to start to question if he is good enough yet given the evidence of those loans.

I live in Morecambe and now and again go to watch them play. I was at the match that saw him axed from the first team:

https://youtu.be/JwYXRDUst4Y?si=28d6BYWNFq-WRGTw

The first goal does not cover him in glory and he didn't do enough to make up for the first howler. I can't say I would want to see him in goal for us. I watched him in goal for a few games for Morecambe, however, that was now a couple of years ago, so he might have improved.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Feb 2024 16:34

I think Wing is comfortably better than any CMs we had last season, which is ridiculous when you consider we're playing a division lower. In fact, would you even swap out Craig or Savage for Fornah, Loum or Hendrick?

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 21 Feb 2024 16:42

WestYorksRoyal
Sutekh
Stranded

From a Carlisle fan on Reddit discussing the best and worst players of the season.

Worst: he only played a few games but Andresson was the worst keeper I’ve ever seen play for us. Cost us multiple games with weird individual mistakes. Thanks for that one Reading. Everyone’s been shite to be honest. Andresson is the one that stands out though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Feb 2024 17:24

WestYorksRoyal I think Wing is comfortably better than any CMs we had last season, which is ridiculous when you consider we're playing a division lower. In fact, would you even swap out Craig or Savage for Fornah, Loum or Hendrick?

Interesting. Thunderstrikes aside, I've thought Wing's performances haven't been as dominant in recent weeks.

And that the gulf in quality between our senior players and the Championship is very large. First touch and passing is often very iffy amongst quite a few and I think they'd get absolutely bossed in the Championship.

Whereas in a season or two I think Craig and Bindon, at least, will be completely at home in the Chump.

Last night was absolutely ridiculous pinball at times.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Feb 2024 18:20

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal I think Wing is comfortably better than any CMs we had last season, which is ridiculous when you consider we're playing a division lower. In fact, would you even swap out Craig or Savage for Fornah, Loum or Hendrick?

Interesting. Thunderstrikes aside, I've thought Wing's performances haven't been as dominant in recent weeks.

And that the gulf in quality between our senior players and the Championship is very large. First touch and passing is often very iffy amongst quite a few and I think they'd get absolutely bossed in the Championship.

Whereas in a season or two I think Craig and Bindon, at least, will be completely at home in the Chump.

Last night was absolutely ridiculous pinball at times.

banged on about it earlier but I expect more from Wing. His movement recently isn't good enough or he's been coached not to find space and stay put (which would be a weird but not surprising with our manager)

Despite previous misgivings Savage did well last night. Some decent passing (after an initial blip) and stood his ground/covered his position well. I can see him developing further and I hope will be be one to watch next season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Feb 2024 18:38

Savage seems to have improved a lot since being ‘dropped’. Been far more impressed recently. Bindon is a real talent and Mbengue when not doing things mind blowingly stupid is a good foil for him

Noticeable how much better the spirit is at the club this year, posts on Twitter showing the subs warming up with the mascots, the subs celebrating our second goal etc. great to see

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Feb 2024 21:50

I'd been thinking Mbengue has big potential, but after almost two seasons and at 22 bit concerned he's still making some crazy stupid decisions.

But Dorsett looked like he could also make an excellent foil to Bindon, pre injury.

Savage is improving nicely and still only 20.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 22 Feb 2024 07:40

Snowflake Royal I'd been thinking Mbengue has big potential, but after almost two seasons and at 22 bit concerned he's still making some crazy stupid decisions.

But Dorsett looked like he could also make an excellent foil to Bindon, pre injury.

Savage is improving nicely and still only 20.

I agree about Mbengue’s decision making being crazy at times, but I still think he could become a pretty decent CB. I think he’s had a couple injury problems at times and he’s been played in various positions, which hasn’t always helped him. I think give him one job to concentrate on (CB) and we could have our next superman. Plus, his long throw in ability is a great weapon to have.

202 posts